Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 1 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=owasyleczko;n890868]Just watched the LIVE. Thank you Barbara for all you do. Didn't know how to ask my question during the LIVE so doing it here. As a quilter I consider myself to be a technician, strive for accuracy and love doing intricate work. Picking fabrics is not my forte. I purchased the BOM kit for that reason and find myself struggling to pick the fabrics for the different elements as many are very different from Irene's, which I was aware of before we began. Would you have any suggestions to reduce the stress of this process? [/QUOTE]

Breathe. Don't overthink it. Look at the close up photos of Irene's quilt--there will be more each month--and try to see what you like in the kit that resembles hers. I keep adding some of my own favorites in.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Barbara, did you know your Take 2 Sampler is on display at the Texas Quilt Museum? Come see us!

Comment

Good show today …. I’m getting ready to make my circles. I’ll watch the Karen Buckley for help. Have I missed what size the corner block is for the saw tooth border? Waiting on my new light box to put it all together. Thank you for making the border template
        Elizabeth Anderson
        Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

[QUOTE=LizAnderson;n890875]Good show today …. I’m getting ready to make my circles. I’ll watch the Karen Buckley for help. Have I missed what size the corner block is for the saw tooth border? Waiting on my new light box to put it all together. Thank you for making the border template[/QUOTE]

Yes, the pattern for Border 1 says to cut 4 squares of background 3".
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

It would be helpful to know the cut sizes of the background fabric for the appliqued vases so I don't end up not having big enough pieces for them. Is that possible?

Comment

[QUOTE=drapelady;n890882]It would be helpful to know the cut sizes of the background fabric for the appliqued vases so I don't end up not having big enough pieces for them. Is that possible?[/QUOTE]

You will be safe with 14" (H) x 15" (W) until we get to Months 10 and 11. There are four vases that have backgrounds cut 16" x 8" in Months 10 and 11.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

[QUOTE=kathib;n890873]Barbara, did you know your Take 2 Sampler is on display at the Texas Quilt Museum? Come see us! [/QUOTE]

NO, I didn't know that! Thank you. I would love to come see it there--I have been to the Texas Quilt Museum twice and will come by again. Just need to find a guild/shop in Central Texas that wants me to come teach--always open to a Texas visit.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL

Comment

Just want to say I used the Karen Kay Buckley perfect stem makers for the 1/8” stem and had a great result. I used the blind hem foot on my Janome and moved the needle to get really close to the rod. Don’t be afraid; go for it!

Comment

[QUOTE=owasyleczko;n890868]Just watched the LIVE. Thank you Barbara for all you do. Didn't know how to ask my question during the LIVE so doing it here. As a quilter I consider myself to be a technician, strive for accuracy and love doing intricate work. Picking fabrics is not my forte. I purchased the BOM kit for that reason and find myself struggling to pick the fabrics for the different elements as many are very different from Irene's, which I was aware of before we began. Would you have any suggestions to reduce the stress of this process? [/QUOTE]

Orysia, Be sure to read Barbara Vase tip for cutting out the shape and auditioning it on a fabrics til you see one that looks good. You window out
                    a shape of a flower and move it to different fabrics until you see one you really like. Ellen's suggest was excellent too. HelenW

Comment

[QUOTE=HelenW;n890958]

Orysia, Be sure to read Barbara Vase tip for cutting out the shape and auditioning it on a fabrics til you see one that looks good. You window out
                      a shape of a flower and move it to different fabrics until you see one you really like. Ellen's suggest was excellent too. HelenW[/QUOTE]

Thank you to you and Ellen for your encouraging words. Working away and as Barbara said, BREATHE. Still working on preparing pieces, will post a picture once assembled on the background.

Comment

[QUOTE=ellenceleste;n890940]I feel your pain. This is more free form that some of the previous BOM's. Think of this as flower arranging. How would you like this bouquet to look? Choose something you like for each flower that will give you a pleasing bouquet. Find a fabric you really like for the vase. That might be your focal point for the month. Find a good color for the stems and leaves. Then what flowers would look good with those stems? They don't have to look realistic, just pleasing to you. Once you've got your bouquet done, you could use those same fabrics for the diamond border for this month. I just sat down this morning and took a deep breath and made one daisy. It's a blue background with little strawberries. (not from the kit, I put together a bunch of fabrics from my LQS, although I can already see that I'll be pulling little bits and pieces from my stash, and from leftovers of previous BOMs.) You've only got to concentrate on this bouquet right now. Post a pic when you're done! I've got one daisy sewn on and I'll be travelling for the next two weeks. I hope to see your beautiful bouquet when I come home.[/QUOTE]

thank you Ellen for your suggestions. Adding to the kit fabrics from my stash has helped. Safe travels.

Comment

Hello Barbara, I just watched a utube video on the sasher tool. It has a 1/8” size and can make the flower stems. Check it out.

Comment

Barbara you mentioned someone in your group used pearls 8 thread to make the for the stems will all the berries. I found a pic some place but now can’t find it
                            so how many strands. ? It looks like 2 rows of embroidery stitch but I can tell what stitch they used. Thank you

Comment

[QUOTE=msquiltlady;n891044]Barbara you mentioned someone in your group used pearls 8 thread to make the for the stems will all the berries. I found a pic some place but now can’t find it
                              so how many strands. ? It looks like 2 rows of embroidery stitch but I can tell what stitch they used. Thank you [/QUOTE]

I don't know--it looks like a basic chain stitch. Try several stitches to see which you like. It also looks like one strand of Perle 8 thread.
                              Barbara Black
                              Huntsville AL

Comment

Barbara - first of all thanks so much for your hard work and information on this! I am so excited to work on this. Every morning i feel like a little kid at Christmas - LOL! I know that applique patterns do not have the 1" scale box but i think there is one page in your information that does have a 1" scale box. I am having difficulty finding that one page now - does anyone remember the file name and specific page that has that scale box? Thanks! :o)

Comment

• Victoria C. commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Sorry - had coffee and it kicked in and i found the page i was looking for.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1142 users online. 201 members and 941 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X