Quilting Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

Our Sponsors

Quilting color my world

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Quilting color my world

    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/20...-quilting.html
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

    #2
    Many thanks, Barbara, not only for your helpful tips and guidance on this BOM in general, but also for sharing your quilting design today. Did you add any extra embellishments (embroidery, etc.), or was it done mainly by machine? I am almost ready to delve into this important finishing touch and am considering machine quilting for mine. With so many options to consider it can be a daunting endeavor.

    Comment


    • Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      No embellishments, just lots of quilting.

    #3
    Barbara thank you so much for your hours and hours of filming editing and just making the quilt countless times for us. I know you are happy its over. You were so kind to make corrections and keep us going. I hope to finish in 2022.

    Comment


      #4
      Originally posted by Quilting2021 View Post
      Barbara thank you so much for your hours and hours of filming editing and just making the quilt countless times for us. I know you are happy its over. You were so kind to make corrections and keep us going. I hope to finish in 2022.
      This makes my day! Especially as I am currently spending many hours creating/filming videos/blogs for Garden Party Down Under (instead of baking cookies!)

      I am always glad to get the current BOM over as the excitement builds for the new one.

      Thanks for understanding how much time goes into giving our TQS Star Members so much additional help with the BOM. We could simply provide the patterns and say “go for it!”


      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL
      https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

      Comment


        #5
        Barbara your quilting on the back shows just as beautifully as the front. Thank you for all the ideas. This was my first BOM with TheQuitlShow...or anyone, for that matter. And you made it doable for me, even though I was quite nervous about starting. Thanks again.

        Comment


          #6
          Originally posted by speedy.gonzales View Post
          Barbara your quilting on the back shows just as beautifully as the front. Thank you for all the ideas. This was my first BOM with TheQuitlShow...or anyone, for that matter. And you made it doable for me, even though I was quite nervous about starting. Thanks again.
          Thank you. I was very pleased with the quilting.

          Glad you put your nerves aside and jumped in. Now you have a treasure and new confidence.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL
          https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

          Comment


            #7
            I’m a bit terrified to quilt it! Last night I stitched in the ditch around the mariner’s compass. It’s a start! I’ve never made anything like this and it’s for my daughter as a wall hanging. I would be devastated if I ruin it! Suggestions, please!

            Comment


            #8
            Barbara, help, my Superior Microquilter thread keeps shredding and breaking as I try to stitch in the ditch. I'm also using a Q20, it's new. What tension settings and needle size and type did you use when you quilted your Color My World? I quilted the Mariner's compass with a 40 wt thread and it was fine.

            Comment


              #9
              Originally posted by Jebecker View Post
              Barbara, help, my Superior Microquilter thread keeps shredding and breaking as I try to stitch in the ditch. I'm also using a Q20, it's new. What tension settings and needle size and type did you use when you quilted your Color My World? I quilted the Mariner's compass with a 40 wt thread and it was fine.
              Jane, I used Microquilter in the top and bobbin for all the Stitch in the Ditch work. Superior Titanium topstitch needle size 90/14. Top tension 4.0. bobbin tension 2.0. Wool batt in my quilt. I always test thread/tension on a small sample of exactly the same fabrics, top and bottom, and same batt. I showed that sample on my blog post about how I quilted mine.

              Be sure the machine is threaded correctly, with the needle and presser foot both in the UP position during top threading. Be sure the foot sits low enough to the quilt sandwich--nothing more than a credit card should be able to slide between the foot and quilt when foot is lowered.

              Once you find all the settings that work best for you and this particular quilt, write them down so you can use them again.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL
              https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
              "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

              Comment


              • Jane B. commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, Barbara. I took your advice and checked out the Q20 chart with all the setting recommendations for all the different threads. After increasing my bobbin tension to 180 and decreasing my thread tension to 275 I finally was able to finish the stitching around the first row of houses. I completed 10 houses without a thread break. It took me three days to do the first 22 houses with too many thread breaks to count. I'm so happy!!! Thanks, I printed the chart and am going to laminate it.

              #10
              I also want to thank Barbara and also the many who participated in this forum to allow everyone get such wonderful results.
              I am machine quilting this on my domestic. Currently quilting the outlines. Invisible thread is great as it is difficult to see given repeating several sections and also some of those hiccups where things are not quite a straight. I am ok with that.
              I plan to do as much quilting until I get tired of it. I will be trying Mctavish quilting in background as mine is scrappy white.
              I so look forward to Garden Party Down Under! I have watched the shows on appliqué and will try different techniques. I have chosen my vase colors and possible stash material.
              I look forward to continuing to learn from you all especially Barbara!
              Happy Quilting
              Linda H
              Happy Quilting 

              Comment


                #11
                Originally posted by lholzhu View Post
                I also want to thank Barbara and also the many who participated in this forum to allow everyone get such wonderful results.
                I am machine quilting this on my domestic. Currently quilting the outlines. Invisible thread is great as it is difficult to see given repeating several sections and also some of those hiccups where things are not quite a straight. I am ok with that.
                I plan to do as much quilting until I get tired of it. I will be trying Mctavish quilting in background as mine is scrappy white.
                I so look forward to Garden Party Down Under! I have watched the shows on appliqué and will try different techniques. I have chosen my vase colors and possible stash material.
                I look forward to continuing to learn from you all especially Barbara!
                Happy Quilting
                Thank you and congrats on a successful finish to Color My World. I used 100 wt Microquilter and have MANY places where I traveled from section to section---you would have to get your nose on top of the stitches to see that. Glad you have enjoyed the process--this was a challenging quilt for many of us.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL
                https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

                Comment


                  #12
                  Barbara, so many thanks for all the great advice and instructions for "color my world". I'm having a problem with quilting. I ordered the microquilter thread-even in the colors you used, but it is splitting and shredding at times. have used different needle sizes, types, such as top stitch. Open for suggestions. This is the third BOM from Quilt Show I have done, a good reason to get out of bed first day of the month. I'm not starting this year BOM at present, need to complete projects. You are a great asset to the The Quilt Show.
                  Thank you.
                  Linda

                  l
                  Last edited by Linda L.; 01-16-2022, 11:11 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Barbara B. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Linda, thank you kindly.
                    I used a 90/14 Topstitch needle, larger than you would think, and lower tension both top and bobbin on my Bernina Q20 sit down longarm. You will have to play with your machine to see what needle/settings work best. Check out the Superior website--there may be helpful info there on using Microquilter. Make a small "sandwich" of some of the same fabrics, the same batt and the same backing so you can play with settings without using the quilt--where problems are frustrating.

                  #13
                  I just finished piecing my Color My World quilt and I am pondering how to quilt it. Has anyone done E2E on this quilt?

                  Comment


                  • Treza commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi there
                    I am in the process of E2E and noticed your post. I would love to see your quilt. I'm still trying to finish. Its been a long therapy session for me and very healing.

                  #14
                  Hello Barbara ! I did it..... Yes Yes Yes!!!! I'm so grateful for all of your help. I'm trying to post a picture of it. But I must admit that I used the old pp way... Now I just need to quilt it and hang it in my living room.

                  Comment


                    #15
                    Is there a problem with tall building 4 in the height? It isn't matching the side piece. All the rest have.

                    Comment

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 1386 users online. 735 members and 651 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 7,765 at 04:22 PM on 04-08-2022.

                    Forum Stats

                    Collapse

                    Topics: 8,011   Posts: 151,039   Members: 21935   Active Members: 2,149  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

                    Latest Topics

                    Collapse

                    Trending

                    Collapse

                    There are no results that meet this criteria.

                    Working...
                    X