Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile Image
    replied
    [QUOTE=Ktmosedale;n891766]Yes I’m struggling with flower D and H. I’ve watched all the videos, read the blog and been following the forum. I’m a bit behind most as I’ve only done about half the appliqué for month one. I found the individual leaves and petals manageable and am pleased with results but D and H are causing me problems. Any advice gratefully received. [/QUOTE]

For help with V's, those deep places on flowers D and H, go watch show 806 with Verna Mosquera. Starting at about 32 minutes she shows how to hand applique those V's. The process would be similar for machine applique--you would turn the edges under for that just like they are turned under for hand applique.

Our site has almost 400 shows and the search box is very helpful. I searched for hand applique and it didn't take me long to find this show.

Take a look--then let us know if it helped.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    Yes I’m struggling with flower D and H. I’ve watched all the videos, read the blog and been following the forum. I’m a bit behind most as I’ve only done about half the appliqué for month one. I found the individual leaves and petals manageable and am pleased with results but D and H are causing me problems. Any advice gratefully received.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    I am having the same problem with the "D" flowers in the middle of the block!

• Profile Image
    replied
    Hi I could do with some help / advice with the turn edge appliqué for the concave bits of the flower petals. I’ve tried various methods but can’t seem to stop the fabric fraying inner point.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    [QUOTE=LizAnderson;n891732]Barbara. I asked a question in another place …. So I’ll ask here. Do we need 2 copies of your pattern for the second sawtooth border? And….I have not removed my paper from the last border, when would you suggest doing that…after I attach the ‘vine’ border?[/QUOTE]

The pattern pages for month 2 paper pieced Dogtooth borders make 2 borders. As there are 4 borders you will need to print two copies of the patterns.

I remove the paper as soon as the border is made and trimmed to the proper size. The paper has done its job at that point, the rest is regular piecing.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    Barbara. I asked a question in another place …. So I’ll ask here. Do we need 2 copies of your pattern for the second sawtooth border? And….I have not removed my paper from the last border, when would you suggest doing that…after I attach the ‘vine’ border?

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    [[email protected];n891709]New to the "PARTY". I just got all my fabric pulled/purchased. I know it has been suggested we wash everything. I always wash and starch my fabric before I quilt. My question: Do I starch for this project as well? I would feel better about it, is there any reason not to starch?[/QUOTE]

There could be a reason not to starch. Most of the fabric will be used for appliques. Try a small sample of starched fabric, starched as you usually like, and prepare and applique a couple shapes from Month 1--a circle and a leaf, for example. If you get good results with starched fabric on the curves and are happy with it, you will know it's OK to starch. I would find it difficult to get smooth edges with starched fabric but I don't typically work with starched fabrics. Try it to see what works best for you.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    New to the "PARTY". I just got all my fabric pulled/purchased. I know it has been suggested we wash everything. I always wash and starch my fabric before I quilt. My question: Do I starch for this project as well? I would feel better about it, is there any reason not to starch?

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Barbara! Those tiny circles scare me!

• Profile Image
    replied
    [[email protected];n891705]For the circles, whether large or tiny, since there is no fusible inside, should we use a stabilizer behind the piece for machine stitching? If so, what kind? Is anyone machine stitching those tiny circles, and is it easy to do?[/QUOTE]

Great question. I didn't need any thing behind the circles as they are thick with the gathered seam allowance behind them.

Machine stitching those TINY circles is slow and tedious--stitch, pivot, stitch, pivot, etc. It would probably be just as fast to stitch them by hand--you decide. The larger circles went more quickly for me--stitch, stitch, stitch, pivot, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    For the circles, whether large or tiny, since there is no fusible inside, should we use a stabilizer behind the piece for machine stitching? If so, what kind? Is anyone machine stitching those tiny circles, and is it easy to do?

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    [QUOTE=MikeBlueEarth;n891610]Does anyone have a source for an 1/8 inch bias tape maker?[/QUOTE]

The one I know of is Karen K Buckley's Perfect Stems--not a bias tape maker like the Clover 1/4" tape maker, but a plastic bar that makes a 1/8" stem.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    Does anyone have a source for an 1/8 inch bias tape maker?

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    [[email protected];n891564]Can I do raw edge appliqué on this quilt?[/QUOTE]

Sure. The same steps as for turned edge, just do raw edge instead.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    Can I do raw edge appliqué on this quilt?

Leave a comment:

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 708 users online. 324 members and 384 guests.

Most users ever online was 7,765 at 03:22 PM on 04-08-2022.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,937   Posts: 150,114   Members: 20765   Active Members: 1,597  
Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Color my world — your finish here
    Thank you, Barbara, for the great advice!...
  • Month 5 -- show your progress here
    My progress so far. Ready for next month....
  • Month 5 -- show your progress here
    My progress so far. Ready for next month. ...
  • Month 5 -- ask questions here
    Thank you Barbara and Helen, you’ve given me a lot to consider and research. The suggested sections make sense. My appliqué...
    While it is possible, it will take some careful planning. If you quilt Months 1-5 as a section, you could later quilt the...
    Carole, you will have to read each show's rules carefully with all the embroidery on your quilt. Finding the proper category...
    Carole B, So happy for you. Start entering those shows and be sure to get back to us with pics
    if you win any ribbons....
    Suzanne, I have a book called Machine Quilting In Sections by Marti Michelle. I would think you could quilt it in sections...
    Barbara, do you think it would be possible to “quilt as you go” on this quilt? I think the first five months of blocks...
    On the first Document, the Introduction, it says “Approximately 74” square”.
    I'm late to the party, life, chemo etc etc but still working on the quilt. I know already that I'm going to add an extra...
    Helen--Just heard back from Wendy giving me permission to show my quilt. She told me I should enter it in lots of shows....
    Carole B, Like your niece I too love birds. And your birds are so, so cute. She will love it. It is a size that would be...
  • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

Working...
X