Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

United Kingdom

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lorchan, Merena(mum) is hoping to have it all finished so that it can be re-dedicated at St Peter's tide this year which is at the end of June, as it is for the church of Sts Peter and Paul, Buckingham. The original embroidery/design is from about 1923. The church itself was built in the 18th century, with additional work done on it by Gilbert Scott, who I believe was born in the vicarage there. I am about to organise a label to be stitched onto the back with the revelant details for posterity.

The Elizabeth Hoare collection is already on our list of places to visit sometime. Originally the collection was kept in the Hoare family's bank vaults, until they ran out of room and wanted the space for paying customers, if I remember rightly :lol: .

Rosemary
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Rosemary, I can't understand how the congregation could be unsupportive or unimpressed by your work on the altar cloth -- it's amazing! I'm so glad you restored it, sometimes the oldies really are the best. Just put your work up to God, I guess, he knows you did a good job! Hope I get to see it in person some day, I'll add it to my list of fantasy destinations! Kathy B. (in the US)

Comment

Further to the alter frontal, I've just posted labels to Mum to sew onto the back, it took 1903 hours and that doesn't include all the thinking time which was also involved.
        Thanks for all the nice comments from you all, I will be sure to pass them on. The frontal and superfrontal should be rededicated on Sun 28 June, which is the date of the Patronal service of the chruch.

Back to quilting - Amo was asking about courses we've been on, well I went on one with Lillian Hedley, I think it was in 2001, about North Country quilts and how to draw them up. We particularly covered drawing penny feathers and how they originally made templates using house hold objects. She is an excellent teacher. The Bowes Museum is also wonderful and I am trying to get back there, but no luck so far :roll:

Rosemary

Comment

Can you make it to the service, Rosemary?

Lorchen

Comment

I am certainly planning on going, by myself as well , I am just waiting for confirmation that it is on.
            I am also planning on putting together a photo-story about the restoration, as part of my current computer course 'The Moving Image' I am doing with Hull uni. so I need some extra photos of the church etc. to go in it. The previous course of 'The Digital Educator' has helped me to find my way around the web and computer with a bit more confidence, since I only got online just before xmas and it helped me to find my way here .

Rosemary

Comment

That is a beautiful piece of work Posy. Congratulations on the completion!!! I guess we all add a little to history but that's adding notable history to a community, fab!

I had my first workshop on Tuesday. It was doing textured landscapes with Jenni Rayment and it was great. Bob the Bernina behaved strapped in the front seat which I was pleased about. There was lots of stripping and ripping and sewing and natter of course. I'll be putting the picture in the profile bit later.

OH has been feeling rather poorly just lately but yesterday he was up for a bit of a drive around so he took me on a round tour to a couple of quilting shops on the other side of Dorset so we had somwhere to aim for. Wasn't that sweet of him!!

Comment

Coo It's gone all quiet on here!!

How did the dedication go Posy?

I've been busy catching up on the garden since coming back and I have lots of scratches, splinters and nettle stings all over my hands. Just to top things off today I managed to cut rather badly into the top of my finger with the secateurs. I'm avoiding stitches in it at the moment but having to be careful. :roll: So poorly, sore hands and quilt club tomorrow where it's all hand work! Eek!!

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine!

Comment

The dedication is on this coming sunday, I will be there, with my camera and will put photos up next week of the frontal , in situ. One bit of amusement, on the roll call of who helped with it, is Compo - my parents skye terrier; he managed to put his paw on the sewing machine pedal and stitched about 1/4" by himself :lol: :lol: his bit is visible when you look as the stitches are closer together due to the speed it went at. Do we have a section on stitching by pets yet? :lol:

I hope you got your cut finger properly cleaned, and your tetnus is up to date, it would be dreadful if it got any worse than just sore. Hope you are feeling better soon Amo.

Rosemary

Comment

Can't wait to hear how it all went. I wish I'd live closer and could join you.

Lorchen

Comment

Thanks for the giggle Rosemary, I love the story about Compo's sewing skills :lol: :lol: . I hope everyone enjoys Sunday and that you get the recognition you all deserve.

Comment

Re - Trinity Altar Frontal, Sst Peter & Paul, Buckingham

The dedication service went very well, fortunately it wasn't blessed with holy water (water marks on silk damask does not bear thinking about!) and the priest made much of my mother and the dedication and work that she had put into it. We estimate that a minimum of 3000 hours was taken up between the super frontal and the altar frontal and that does not include all the extra thinking and measuring time. Every one in the congregation we spoke to was highly impressed and thinks that it is magnificent, which it is.

My mum still doesn't really believe that she achieved it - the girl at school who had to re-do her tacking stitches because they were not even enough :lol:

A full write up will be appearing in Stories presently, and a finished picture is on my profile for now

Yours Rosemary

P.S. Just don't ask about the flat camara battery ops: and the spare at home! ops: ops:

Comment

Congratulations to your mom, Rosemary! I'm glad she got the recognition for her beautiful work on this piece. It is just amazing! Karen
                          Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Great stuff Posy!! Look forward to reading the full story.

My Oh has just worked out that that is about the average working person (37hr week) working full time for over one and a half years. :shock:

Comment

Hello just thought I would say hello. I have just joined and am a beginner quilter as I am into mixed media art. I live in Liverpool, UK

Lorraine

Comment

I'm glad it went so well, Rosemary, and look forward to see/read the whole story!

Lorchen

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2899 users online. 560 members and 2339 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X