Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 1 — Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished Month 1! Quite a challenge to connect the border…more so than the roads in Color My World. I think it might have been easier to hand piece, as a lot of my pieces are off grain. I love this BOM!
    Jackie

Comment

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks so great!

• Monique G. commented
      Editing a comment
      I love your background fabric. It must have been difficult to keep the print going all the same way. Well done!

Well, you all are quite ahead of me! But I enrolled my Cricut to get cutting today! Sorting out more scraps. Progressing nicely.

Comment

• Ellen L. commented
      Editing a comment
      How cool! My husband got me a cricut for Christmas and I'm a bit intimidated by it. Haven't taken it out of the box. But I'd love to figure out how to do this.

• Cheryl B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi I used my scan n cut similar to your machine, really helps with accuracy cos it cuts right on the line. Well done.

• MARILYN S. commented
      Editing a comment
      I have both machines - the Scan N Cut and the Cricut Maker. Used my SnC for odd remnants of fabric. Scanning the fabric on the mat and then placing the templates to cut helps use up every tiny bit!
    This reply by Bnorth has been deleted by Bnorth

Here is my center block. So much fun! The instructions did not add the “D” background, right?

Here is my finished block one without the “d” section. The written instructions do not contain that part but think Barbara B. showed that part in the video. So I am not sure if I am to add it or not. I machine pieced the entire block. I used my rotating cutting mat and size 28 mm rotary cutter to cut out everything except the bottom of template B which my rotary cutter did not like. I just penciled it in and cut by hand. I clipped the curve pieces and used a 2.5 stitch length to ease in the curves. This was fun to put together. I am using fabric from my stash.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      The written instructions clearly show how to add the D background pieces, page 5 of Month 1 pattern.

• Barbara N. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Barbara B. It does help if you read all the instructions!

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      Really nice fabric choices and piecing!

This is my hybrid version of centre star and fans - machine piecing and applique - prior to appliqueing on to the background fabric. The reason I finally decided to participate in this BOM was to make a dent in my scraps and fabric, but I really am feeling quite a bit out of my comfort zone. I've worked on scrap quilts before, but in a more "controlled" fashion, i.e. no more than five or six colours in various shades/tones of each. Such a multitude of fabrics, prints and colours is quite a challenge for me.
    Marilyn

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Marilyn, It looks great. I too feel totally out of my comfort zone, so I am not going all scrappy.
      HelenW

• Judith A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Marilyn, I really like this. It looks great.

Good day!
    All of the fabric choices are lovely. I finished the first half. I didn't think I could do the curves on the machine, so I did hand piecing. Some may be done by machine. The templates are awesome, but I will stick something on the back to stop the template from sliding, maybe double-sided tape with a small piece of sandpaper. Also, a new blade would help.

Monique G. your fabrics gave me an idea for using the Aboriginal fabrics I have stored away waiting for a project. Gosh, can I make two of these quilts?

Lots of ideas, thank you all!

Thanks for sharing your tips & tricks,
    Happy stitching, Rosa
    Last edited by Rosa W; 01-05-2024, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Rosa, I use double stick tape all the time. I used it hold the template plastic to the fabric when
      tracing to do Judith's idea of glue baste seam allowance to plastic and then pop the plastic off
      with the edge of my appliquick stick. Post a picture of your Aboriginal fabrics, I would love to see them. HelenW

Took me a minute to figure out how to post the pictures. The fabrics in the middle are what I am currently using. The other photo are the Aboriginal fabrics, colors are blurred. Rosa

Comment

My fabrics for the first month are all ready to go. I plan on machine piecing.

Comment

Still a work in progress. I realised after cutting out fabric using the black line in the lollies fabric and eliminating a seam that I have made the Y seams a lot more difficult. I now have the clip into the corner.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        I see you used your dividing line to eliminate seams. It looks great. HelenW

Here is my first block. Appliquéd the circle and will cut it down later as I may quilt as I go. Cheers from Australia

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheryl B, I love the idea of quilt as you go. I always think about
        it and then chicken out. If you do it please post pictures of your process. HelenW

I finished my centerblock today. It's pieced by machine. And really thanks a lot for the tip of glue-basting and Barbaras instructions of making this block, so it was quite easy.
      So I'm looking foreward to month 2
      Quilting forever, Housework whenever! 

Comment

• brigitte.wieser commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Helen
        Last edited by brigitte.wieser; 01-06-2024, 10:38 AM.

• brigitte.wieser commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried twice to answer your question, but it didn't work. So this is the third try.
        I pressed all straight seam allowances open flat, not to one side and the curved ones towards the middle.
        And I sewed the four border pieces to the fans first and closed the mitered corners at least.
        Last edited by brigitte.wieser; 01-06-2024, 10:55 AM.

• Judith A. commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful. You took care in how you cut the pieces. Looks really good.

I have just started working on my Month 1 block. Here is my progress so far. Picking the fabrics took the most time!
      Sue Heisler
      @QuiltingLifeOfSue

Comment

Well, it’s a start. Handpieced and learned a lot just from these first 8 pieces. Hoping it gets easier as I go. Wool is so much more forgiving!
        Carole Berry

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          Now you are ready to add the Fans and background!

Finished the center block though I haven't yet trimmed it to size... I did check to make sure I have enough fabric to make it just right!

Comment

Originally posted by nhbaskets View Post
          Well, it’s a start. Handpieced and learned a lot just from these first 8 pieces. Hoping it gets easier as I go. Wool is so much more forgiving!
          Carole, It looks beautiful. Any tips on not seeing the stitches from the front.
          My hand stitching was too loose so I sewed over it by machine, and it looks
          fine. I guess I am using a different sew sequence. I did not put the whole
          star together first. I will see if I run into hard times. I did turned edge applique
          with top stitch for the C template. I made diamond pairs and then added the
          fan. will put pairs together, then add remaining fans. Then start thinking about
          the outside background.

Looks like you have some ugly weather headed your way. We have snow
          predicted for all next week. HelenW

Comment

• Carole B. commented
            Editing a comment
            Helen, love how you are laying out your fabrics. This will be striking! I’m not seeing my stitches from the front. Had you pressed the seams open? If so, I would think that would cause it. I’m hoping that as I progress with hand piecing, my stitches will get smaller. I’m also hoping this will get me warmed up for attempting to hand quilt. I have a wool appliqué quilt on linen that I’ve been working on for the past year with the plan of hand quilting. That won’t happen until 2025, though! As for sequencing of this block, I’m following Jen’s pattern. Thrilled I get to see her again in person in a few weeks at Road2CA. Maybe I’ll bring this block and have her sign it! We are expecting ~10 inches of snow starting tonight through tomorrow. I hope to finish this block during that time. Currently drawing and cutting fan pieces now.

• Helen W. commented
            Editing a comment
            Carole, I did press the seams open but then press them all in the same direction to sew over it
            by machine. I too hope to get myself to try hand quilting a quilt. I am still on the final borders

of my Homeward Bound After Dark. That is the one I want to try to hand quilt. But I got so
            excited about getting started on Pick A Petal that I have not touch it since Jan. 1. I is snowing
            here and probably will have to do some shoveling snow before I get to sew tomorrow.
            HelenW
            Be sure to tell Jen that she has a ton of fans at TQS and she should check out all great
            center blocks that are being created. Lucky you to go see her.

• Judith A. commented
            Editing a comment
            Helen, the more I look at your block, the more I like it. Great fabric choices. They play well together.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2103 users online. 245 members and 1858 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
        X