Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 1 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be a silly question but if we are to trace the appliqué pieces from the center appliqué block, then what are the
    templates used for?

Comment

[[email protected];n890773]This may be a silly question but if we are to trace the appliqué pieces from the center appliqué block, then what are the
      templates used for? [/QUOTE]

They are a guide. You can trace from them if that is easier. What they are not for is to create plastic or paper templates--a way many of us learned applique years ago.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL
      https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• soniasimone commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't tell Irene, but I am personally going to make a mylar template for the border triangles. :) I'm planning on pressing the seam allowance under, should make it nice and easy to stitch up.

• groomer commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, I am confused. Is there a problem with making a mylar template of shapes used several times, like the leaf shapes? I was planning on doing so and preparing the applique edges using the starch/iron method.

• soniasimone commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I was just making a tongue in cheek comment. It's not the way Irene does it, but that doesn't mean there's a problem with it. :)

Thank you Barbra. Can you also tell me how many background fabrics come in the Kit? Excluding the Grey Stripe
      used for the outer border. I thought I read somewhere there were four but on the fabric Requirement page it looks like five or six ?

Comment

Thanks Barbara for all of your dedication to this project and for being so helpful to everyone on this forum. I wanted to ask you which lightbox you would suggest to buy as well as what size would be the best for this as well as other appliqué projects. I want to try to find one on Amazon in Italy. Thank you!

Comment

• soniasimone commented
          Editing a comment
          How lovely that you're in Italy! I was lucky enough to live in Rome for a year. I know how handy it can be to have a brand to put in the Amazon search box. :)

Artcraft makes one, so does Litenergy and Golspark. Look for one that's 20 euros or so. (Some of them are hundreds, and you really don't need that, imo.)

Mine is A4 size, and gets power with a USB cable, I connect it to my laptop. I do need to reposition the piece to get everything, but with my center points marked, that's not too tricky.

[[email protected];n890776]Thank you Barbra. Can you also tell me how many background fabrics come in the Kit? Excluding the Grey Stripe
        used for the outer border. I thought I read somewhere there were four but on the fabric Requirement page it looks like five or six ?[/QUOTE]

All of the Kit fabrics are shown on the Fabric Requirements page on the Main page of the 2022 BOM. There are 4 that are large enough to cut the 20” center background. There are two others not large enough. One additional background is reserved for the outer background.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

[QUOTE=Lynnanne;n890777]Thanks Barbara for all of your dedication to this project and for being so helpful to everyone on this forum. I wanted to ask you which lightbox you would suggest to buy as well as what size would be the best for this as well as other appliqué projects. I want to try to find one on Amazon in Italy. Thank you![/QUOTE]

The one I got is LITENERGY Portable A4 Tracing LED Copy Board Light Box. It uses a USB, I connect to my sewing machine as I have a large cabinet space. Very lightweight and inexpensive, great light.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

Apologies if this has been asked/answered previously, but is there a "1 inch" square somewhere to test the size accuracy of what I am printing? I haven't seen it yet. tx.

Comment

Thank you again Barbara. I'm very excited to start this BOM. I don't have very much experience on appliqué quilts so I am sure I will learn a great deal from you and your great tips!

Comment

[QUOTE=lindanquilts12;n890784]Apologies if this has been asked/answered previously, but is there a "1 inch" square somewhere to test the size accuracy of what I am printing? I haven't seen it yet. tx.
                [/QUOTE]

Not on the appliqué patterns. Print the 9 pages of pattern. Tape together and verify the block is 18” finished.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL

Comment

Thank you Soniasimone and Barbara. I ordered the Litenergy and it will arrive on Sunday

Comment

[QUOTE=Kurtel;n890790]i cant find the advice either[/QUOTE]

I answered the question about how to upload photos. Use Search The Forum box on the left. Type Uploading Photos and my instructions come up.

most photos taken with my iPhone are too large and must be resized—those instructions are in the post you will find.
                    Barbara Black
                    Huntsville AL

Comment

Does anyone know if someone is doing a Quilt Along video for this quilt on YouTube or some other site? This is my first time doing a BOM. I have purchased the kit, pre-washed the fabric, taped the template together and have purchased accessories including bias bars. After reading the forum I'm feeling overwhelmed. How do you keep everything organized? I was hoping to be able to use a scan n cut for some of it if possible. I quilted over 30 years ago but have just taken it up again after retiring. So I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. Hopefully I'm not asking anything that has been asked already! Happy New Year!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you are confused, have you watched the Show 3001 that explains the entire project and the 7 Videos in Month 1? There is a lot of resources right here to help make this project. There is a LIVE broadcast tomorrow at Noon Central time where I will answer specific questions. It is recorded and easy to find in the 2022 Block of the Month section of LEARN.
                        I often recommend small groups work together to support and encourage each other. If you are near a quilt shop or a quilt guild, I am certain there are others working oh Garden Party Down Under.
                        Since this pattern is exclusive to The Quilt Show for all of 2022 it is unlikely any shop will offer it as they have to be sure everyone in the class is a Star Member of The Quilt Show. Patterns cannot be shared.

• soniasimone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You've got this, Joan! Just do one block at a time and try not to think too far ahead. That's the nice thing about BOMs, each month you have a manageable chunk.

When you read a forum, you see everyone's issues and questions, and that can be overwhelming, But start with the pattern, the overview show, and the Facebook Lives.

One thing I like about this pattern is that it's forgiving. The shapes are organic and there's a lot of room to do things a little differently, and it will still look great.

[QUOTE=groomer;n890792]Sorry, I am confused. Is there a problem with making a mylar template of shapes used several times, like the leaf shapes? I was planning on doing so and preparing the applique edges using the starch/iron method.[/QUOTE]

Perfectly acceptable method, and smart with so many pieces that are similar.
                      Barbara Black
                      Huntsville AL

Comment

I got so caught up in the questions I almost forget why I signed into the Forum (lol). My Questions - I tried to get on the live 1/7 program and the time counter was counting backwards. The show would not connect. What was I doing wrong?

May I also say, I've done all the suggested videos, master classes, website tutorials copied all first month documents. I've read all the questions, some of which I was not aware as issues for the pattern. I just hope as I start my fabric setting using light box, pattern and piecing fabric onto the fabric I see the things I've missed. Having a wonderful time. I do have a few friends who are also doing the BOM. It will be interesting to see what we each come up with in the design process.

Thank you for all that you are doing to help us.

Comment

Just watched the LIVE. Thank you Barbara for all you do. Didn't know how to ask my question during the LIVE so doing it here. As a quilter I consider myself to be a technician, strive for accuracy and love doing intricate work. Picking fabrics is not my forte. I purchased the BOM kit for that reason and find myself struggling to pick the fabrics for the different elements as many are very different from Irene's, which I was aware of before we began. Would you have any suggestions to reduce the stress of this process?

Comment

• Ellen L. commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I feel your pain. This is more free form that some of the previous BOM's. Think of this as flower arranging. How would you like this bouquet to look? Choose something you like for each flower that will give you a pleasing bouquet. Find a fabric you really like for the vase. That might be your focal point for the month. Find a good color for the stems and leaves. Then what flowers would look good with those stems? They don't have to look realistic, just pleasing to you. Once you've got your bouquet done, you could use those same fabrics for the diamond border for this month. I just sat down this morning and took a deep breath and made one daisy. It's a blue background with little strawberries. (not from the kit, I put together a bunch of fabrics from my LQS, although I can already see that I'll be pulling little bits and pieces from my stash, and from leftovers of previous BOMs.) You've only got to concentrate on this bouquet right now. Post a pic when you're done! I've got one daisy sewn on and I'll be travelling for the next two weeks. I hope to see your beautiful bouquet when I come home.

• Suzanne C. commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I struggle with that too. I can see a colour in my mind but can’t find it in my stash lol. I have been cutting out different colours for the shapes and then auditioning each one to see which feels good. After I don’t like any of them I just say heck with it and pick one

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1159 users online. 232 members and 927 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25246   Active Members: 1,500  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X