Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nancy, that's a stunning quilt. Love red, black and white together! To me, is a very elegant combination. Most definitely waiting for the right black would make you happier in the long run. Besides, is not like you have nothing else to work on :wink: . So looking forward to see the finished piece.

(Which I did think about doing because I'm completely addicted to fabric!! ops: )
    You know, I suffer from that same addiction... And I don't want to be cured :twisted: :wink:

Comment

Nancy, "I did leave the paper in place until they were all sewn together. It's a pain, but it does control the bias edges."
      I will have to be very, very careful when I stitch this. At least the fabric is well starched and that should help. Now I am getting nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
        Nancy, "I did leave the paper in place until they were all sewn together. It's a pain, but it does control the bias edges."
        I will have to be very, very careful when I stitch this. At least the fabric is well starched and that should help. Now I am getting nervous.
        Hi Lois - I think if you are careful then everything will be fine. You might have to do a little easing, but if you're like me then you have a LOT of practice at that. My blocks were 8" finished, so you have a check point every 8" to help with the easing which should make it not bad at all.

Comment

Nancy, your top looks great! Do wait for that perfect border fabric.

Lois, don't worry about those bias edges. It's actually easier to ease blocks together on the bias than those on the straight grain. I've made several quilts using the square-in-a-square method where all of the outside edges are on the bias and they turned out fine, and my Week 3 blocks were on the bias.

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
            Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
            Rosemary, I have been doing the Cindy Needham course over on Craftsy.com and she says that you should SID 'ESS' (every stinkin' seam)! That centre block will be fun. :shock:
            I've been doing it too - and I very much doubt that even Cindy would ESS the centre block - I mean how much movement would you get from something that is stitched across & down every inch, let alone inside the blocks :shock: my only problem is I dislike SID on principal - it seems like a cop out to me.
            I've just got to this part of the course, and much as I dislike SID I am even considering ESS my sampler quilt :shock: , but only because I am planning on entering it into competition. But I am fairly certain that I will not be doing it all the time :P It was interesting going through the questions, one lady said the sid ESS was sending her mental & Cindy replied that she doesn't like doing it either - but she likes the finish, so she does it, sometimes she sid's a bit of the quilt and then does the fun stuff on top to give herself a break from the boring siding.

Comment

Rosemary, your quilt within a quilt design is awesome! Can't wait to see it with all its borders and quilted.

Nancy, great layout!

Everyone's projects are turning out so great. It looks like it was a fun class. I haven't done any of the other online classes like Craftsy. Sounds like they are worth checking into. I loved CIndy Needham when she was on TQS. She does awesome work.

Lorna

Comment

Nancy--what a wonderful quilt!

Comment

Rosemary I can see how that would work. Once you have SID'd a block then you could go in and do the fun stuff rather than try to do the whole SID in one go. I will definitely SID ESS on my sampler quilt - my problem is trying to figure out what to do with the rest of it. I think it will end up with a feather border as it seems to be saying that to me. I feel a great need to get some stencils now as my complete collection (4) is a little lacking!

Comment

I had already gone crazy on the stencils last year after taking Karen McTavish's wholecloth class. Then I went crazy again earlier this month after watching Cindy Needham and then noticing that we could get 20% off our entire purchase from The Stencil Company through the SewCalGal FMQ project. And now I just ordered some more today because I can't decide on the last border for my angel wholecloth. I'm still well shy of Cindy Needham, but I'm gaining ground as quickly as possible!!

Nancy

Comment

Don't actually have any stencils myself, but I do have 4 books from Lilian Hedley, with traditional North Country quilting templates, I got the latest one at the GNQS and it contains patterns for Borders & Strippys - there are some great patterns in it that I fancy trying. I also got a Follow the Line Quilting Designs, vol 3, by Mary M Covey, at the show which looks interesting too. So far, I have made up my own templates (all 4 of them 8) ) using cut paper/sandpaper, or in the case of Too loud/Dogrose cardboard, and it has worked out ot so far.

I do know a way of making your own stencils that is quite easy, I used 2 pieces of iron on interfacing (preferably a heavy one) and a piece of net/tulle. Cut the interfacing so that it makes a frame in both pieces, lay one piece adhesive side up, place on the net, and pin it around the outside edge so that it is just taut, place the other piece of interfacing adhesive side down exactly over the first piece & iron it together. Then using a sharpie, trace the design onto the net. To use: place over what you want to mark and draw along the lines with your prefered marking pen/pencil - you will get a row of dots to follow for stitching. Just as I was typing this I realised that instead of using iron on interfacing you could use freezer paper instead, but I would still recommend that you sandwich the net to keep it firm.

Comment

Rosemary, What a great idea to use interfacing and net to make a frame for a stencil! I like this idea because you could easily pin it to the quilt to hold it in place while you mark. I also think it would be so much easier to judge placement because its easier to see through nylon net than the opaque plastic stencil. Thanks alot for that one.

Comment

Thanks for that Rosemary, I will have to give it a try. I was just looking at a stencil cutter online. Has anybody ever used one of those? I guess you would use template plastic, draw the design onto the plastic with a sharpie and then cut it out. But what would I know? :roll:

Comment

Don Linn does the same thing, except that he uses an embroidery hoop instead of the interfacing/freezer paper frame. Easier to make taut, but limits the size of the design. You can also trace the pattern on freezer paper and iron to your quilt, then quilt through the paper and remove the paper when finished. The freezer paper is a little hard to remove, but this worked well for me when using a small, complex design that I printed directly onto the freezer paper from my computer. Or trace it on regular paper and sew along the line using no thread and a thick needle then use a pounce pad to transfer the design to your quilt. Or trace it on the rolls of thin tracing paper (like Golden Threads paper) and pin or spray baste, quilt and then remove. I've heard that Glad Press-n-Seal also works well and is see-through and I've heard of using water-soluable stabilizer. There are many methods of transfering a quilting design to your quilt! (Just like any other part of quilting!) It's good to hear about as many as you can so you can try some and see which works for you.

Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                              Thanks for that Rosemary, I will have to give it a try. I was just looking at a stencil cutter online. Has anybody ever used one of those? I guess you would use template plastic, draw the design onto the plastic with a sharpie and then cut it out. But what would I know? :roll:
                              I only tried this once and decided fairly quickly that this wasn't for me. I used template plastic and had a hard time putting on enough pressure to cut through while also keeping enough control to make nice lines. But I only tried it once and it was many years ago. I'm sure it works well for some people.

Nancy

Comment

Nancy, your posting just below is a keeper for me--gives me a fair number of options to choose from and try. Thanks for laying it all out.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2283 users online. 237 members and 2046 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25587   Active Members: 1,297  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X