Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I thought I posted a message to Rosemary here but don't see it. Can you give us a place to read up on Weardale Chain? Thank you.

Comment

Rita - possibly about halfway? if I don't put fancy quilting over the 6" blocks. I still have the green borders to quilt, 32 rosettes of some sort to put on the wide white border and a bit of something over the sashing of the miniatures. I am visiting my parents this week and will be taking it with me to get all the ends threaded in.

Terri - I am using my walking foot on my Janome for most of it, but when I found myself nearly completely hand turning the wheel for the first large rosette, I thought 'Blow this, it would be easier on my Gran's old Singer hand crank!' So I switched over; a couple of drops of oil, new needle, quilting foot, and reduced the pressure on the presser foot and was away - worked lovely

Ritzy - Weardale is an area in Yorkshire, which along with several other of the Dales became known for whole cloth and strippy quilts. They are stylistically known as Durham, or more accurately, as North Country Quilts. The current leading teacher is Lilian Hedley http://lilian-hedley-quilter.com/, who was taught by Amy Emms, who learnt back in the 30's and gives us an unbroken link back to the earlier quilters who made a living by quilt making.

PS, it is a traditional style Weardale chain in the picture on her page, and I might well use the rosette pattern she shows there for my quilt.

Comment

Thank you Rosemary. I just went and spent two hours reading about Amy Emms and Durham and North Country quilting.

Comment

Well back from holiday, needed to get the fabric for the binding dyed (am going for red) and guess what!

Yep my rubber gloves have perished - again! (I really shouldn't leave them on the windowsill :roll: ) tried to be careful, but I now have a faint red tinge to my fingers again :roll: :lol:

Comment

I finally finished quilting my little Laura Nownes sampler with the bird blocks I added. Still have to bind it, and then I'll take a picture.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
            Betty Jo

Comment

The quilt is looking fantastic and thank you so much for all your information its wonderful

Taree NSW - Australia
              My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

I just finished a few projects that were on my need-to-do-it-now list. Then, yesterday my eye wondered across the Laura Nownes quilt top. Hmm. Might be a nice break...
                I have to admit that it feels odd to have finished my 'important' list and can't decide where to begin on the other UFO's. Valley of decision, I guess.

Rosemary, I can't wait to see your quilt with the binding on it. And the one with birds. You people are so talented!

Taree NSW - Australia
                My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Terrie, either just take the first one off the top of the pile (safest) or dig down and pull the oldest one out from the bottom of the pile, and see if you remember what you had planned to do with it - and maybe change your plan...

Or how about Wot Rott? there is still a chance of getting it finished & in the book (at the rate I am going with mine :roll: :lol: )

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

Quick up date - I have got all the quilting around the outside edge finished & all but a couple of ends stitched in. I still have the 3" wide green border to quilt. A complete going over with some steam to try to remove various basting holes etc. plus binding label & hanging tube thingy (but I do have a secret weapon for putting that on 8) ) And all to be done by Monday night...

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

:mrgreen: Busy girl ! :lol: :lol:

Comment

Well done Rosemary on the final leg you'll get it done

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Good on you, Rosemary. Congratulations on seeing this baby delivered!

Comment

You can do it, Rosemary! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

Quick breather....

All the quilting is finished - except my maker's mark & the year(s), I have taken to adding these into the quilting even if I don't bother with a label because most of my quilts so far have been reversable.

Ended up going over the white sashings/borders with a wet cotton bud dampening all the lines of basting stitching holes and then rubbing over them with a bone handle to get the holes to disappear - my steamer just wasn't (wo)man enough for the job.... ideally it would have gone in the wash, but I don't have enough time (or bottle) to try washing it again, even without the binding on, which I know is going to run.

The binding is made and ready to go on. Next task trim up the edges and stitch it on, trying to decide whether to pin it on first or not.

Comment

Rosemary, I love hearing about your process, patience and perfection. I learn so much reading about your details. I never would have thought about removing the old holes. I'm learning a lot from you, girl. Why not set up with TQS and get some lessons/classrooms going?

I look forward to seeing the finished treasure.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2183 users online. 282 members and 1901 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,301  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X