Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Singer Featherweight

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't have problems with scents until I moved to Indiana--now there are so many things that close my sinuses that I have quit keeping track. Some will even give me a migraine. When I ask the doctor about them (since he told me I did not have allergies) he said it was because God did not make your body to inhale all that junk!

Comment

Oh Ann, come on, I've 'come clean' with my embarrassing moments! How about just one or two??!

As for scents, I think perfume and after shave should be outlawed. It's terrible when you can smell someone coming from around the corner before you even see them! We live in an Eastman Kodak town, so we have some real winner smells at night and on weekends (when the government control agencies aren't working). Thank goodness we live out in the country where our most prominent smell in spring is dirt!! When people start plowing their gardens, it's wonderful to smell the dirt and freshly mown grass.

Sharon in TN (quiltnlady)

Comment

Originally posted by quiltnlady
        Thank goodness we live out in the country where our most prominent smell in spring is dirt!! When people start plowing their gardens, it's wonderful to smell the dirt and freshly mown grass.

Sharon in TN (quiltnlady)
        About a month and a half ago we took the family over to Lancaster Co. PA. As we drove along a stretch we noticed that some farmers must have already manuered their feilds for the spring planting - the smell never bothered me that much but my 4yo ds piped up from the back seat "EEEWWWW! It smells like poopy!" LOL he cracked me up :lol:

Comment

Judy, I learned in a FW class at Road To California that that musty smell comes from mouldy gasket material (the black pad that lines the bottom of the machine--the bottom comes unscrewed to oil the moving parts.) I also agree with you and everyone else-- perfumes are becoming an anoyance to me, too. I usually just depend on lotions for a slight fragrance. I love scented candles, too, but I find that some of them irritate my eyes. Of course, living in So. California with smog, my eyes stay irritated much of the year!!!

Comment

Hmmmm....so that is where the musty smell is coming from...good to know. I also had a problem with my case. It smelled like moth balls. I set it out in the sun, put newspaper in it and then sprinlked it with baking soda. Finally the baking soda did the trick.

While I love scented candles...I found they gave me a terrific headache. My mother had COPD and just could not be around perfumes. It has made me so aware of others... now I rarely wear perfume out. To use it up, I spritz my sheets and bed pillow...once in a while.

FW

Comment

Glad to hear that I am not the only one with a funny nose. In quilt camp here in Phoenix, the directors insist that it be scent free because so many people are allergic to odors, ( no perfumes, scented hair spray or body lotions) If you violate the rules, the scent police will ask you nicely to wash it off.

Getting back to the topic at hand, my FW is still without a name. Maybe I should call it Flower, like the skunk in Bambi, or something on that order. Any suggestions?

Judy in AZ where it is going to summer soon(like hit the 100 mark on Monday)

Comment

Judy I think you've hit on a good one w/ "Flower"-- a cute little black thing (am I remembering correctly, yours is black?) that purrs... and can stink if you're not nice...
                Earlier on this post I told that mine was named "Florence" so I just had to buy her, and Florence means flower, so I'll remember that for mine too! Luckily, Florence didn't stink!

and as for the nose stuff, I've always lived in pretty much the same spot but ever since my early 30's have begun to suffer seasonal allergies... only affects me four seasons of the year... finally got tested last year & found out I'm allergic to just about everything that grows, including the dust in my house...
                And I won't even go IN a candle store or "country living" kinds of places that have lots of scent-y things, they set my sinuses off something terrible! I don't mind a spritz of perfume but those things that are designed to fill the air w/ scent are verboten in my house!

Florence, in lovely, sneezy, stuffy, spring-y Virginia.

Comment

[quote="quiltnlady"] We live in an Eastman Kodak town, so we have some real winner smells at night and on weekends.

Sharon why are Eastman Kodak towns particularly smelly?

Jenny in Oz
                  Jenny in Oz

Comment

I too am hypersensitive to perfume candles etc. and so is dh plus he is allergic to Eucalyptus. Two places we love but have to avoid are Napa Valley (stayed in a campground named Eucalyptus Gardens or something close to that) big mistake and also found certain places in Australia that set him off big time. Oh well there are lots of other places to go. LOL

But when I was in a hospital and nursing home flat on my back -couldn't sit up for weeks and weeks I learned the power of smells on people. Certain scents make me nauseous and before that I could walk away but when I couldn't it was awful. I had to ask nurses and aides to leave my room or go and wash the scent off. Even in a scent free hospital some people exercise their "right " to do as they please and did they get told. Throwing up when you are flat on your back is not a pleasant experience.

I too avoid candle shops etc. or limit my stay -dh loves quilt shops that smell because he knows I won't NEED anything there and will be out in a flash.
                    Have never had a machine that smelled so hadn't thought of the baking soda solution but it makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Ann

Comment

[quote]Even in a scent free hospital some people exercise their "right " to do as they please and did they get told. Throwing up when you are flat on your back is not a pleasant experience.

Ann-

I work in a hospital with a "no perfume" dress code and am amazed how many people wear scents. I was mentioning to my boss how I forget to wear perfume on the weekends since I can not wear it to work and she said "I wear perfume to work every day." She looked at me like I was nuts when I reminded her about the dress code and commented that I thought it was inconsiderate to wear perfume around people who were ill when that increased so many peoples sensitivities to smell. Maybe growing up with a mom who would have migraines brought on by the perfume counters in stores has affected the wayI look at this subject but I thought that it was a lost cause when the person who is supposed to be enforcing the policy was an offender.

Lisa

Comment

One of my Featherweight cases smelled so bad that NOTHING helped, so I took the case apart. The offender seemed to be some kind of mold growing under the fabric lining. I spent many hours scraping the old cloth and glue off the wood, until finally the case fell apart completely. I literally had a pile of sticks sitting on my table!

I took the sticks over to a friend, and he very kindly rebuilt the case for me. This time I didn't recover it or reline it with cloth.

Now it's a very pretty wooden case. It's some kind of softwood, so it gets dings in it if you bang it on something. But no more smell!

As for the machine itself, all you have to do to get rid of the smell is replace the felt gasket that lines the inside of the base plate. You can buy them from FW suppliers or make your own out of wool felt.

Anne in Vancouver, Canada, happy owner of three Featherweights--a 1946 221, a 1949 221, and a 1956 222

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I guess I got very lucky with my case. There's just a bare whiff of aroma. It kinda smells nostalgic. I like it.
                          Sherry, proud owner of a 1948 221-"Andy Rose".

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2023 users online. 177 members and 1846 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X