Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Singer Featherweight

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Featherweight is a 1938 and my mom gave it to me for my HS graduation in 1973. She paid 35 dollars for it in a thrift store (it was in the window). I've sewn on it nearly exclusively. It just purrs along, easy to care for. I baby it..keep it well oiled, etc.

It came with all the attatchments..ruffler, pleater, crazy looking things but I've never gotten around to trying them. Just thinking bout this now is making me curious. Think I'll play with them later today. I'll get back to you all about this.

Take a 'Care and Feeding of your Featherweight' class if you ever see one in your area.

I have a Bernina 180 which I also love, but always feel at home on my little black machine.

Featherweight Fan !!
    Kathy DB

Comment

I bought a FW about 4 years ago after seeing one a friend had. I love the portability of it. But...I haven't used it in a long time. I have gotten so used to my "modern" machine that I generally don't think of the FW.

Reading your testimonies has made me want to get it out, have it cleaned and use it again.

Thanks

Comment

I just received a 221-1 featherweight today and I'm so excited! My dil's brother found it at a church rummage sale and got it for me. Wouldn't let me repay him - said it was another thank you for making him a quilt
        I'm so encouraged at reading all the previous posts and can't wait to use it. It is in beautiful condition and sews great; it has all the attachments and manual and all is neatly packed in the case. Thank you all for sharing about your machines
        Pat

Comment

Boy Pat you are really blessed to receive this machine. I do believe it is a God Thing - since it came from a church rummage sale. What a better person to receive such a wonderful gift but a quilter. I know you will certainly enjoy and put it to good use. Tell your Brother-in-law thank you from a fellow quilter. If he happens to find another one, I hope I might be in line to also receive such a gift - only kidding.
          Happy Quilting,
          Rachel in Ohio

Comment

I just found a 221 yesterday at a flea market. It was made the same year I was born, 1956. I was a bit worried at first, because I couldn't get it to sew, but after trying many adjustments, I finally thought to replace the needle, and voila, it sewed a very nice seam. I have a 1940 full-size Singer that I inherited from my mother, and I have always loved it, but this one will be great to take to classes.

I was curious to see whether I got a decent price or not, as it was an impulse buy, so I browsed online, and was surprised by the disparity in prices of what appeared to be equivalent machines to each other as far as age, condition and accessories. Does anyone know why some machines are $500 and up, while others in seemingly excellent condition are $200 or less? (Mine cost $200, has a flawed finish, decent case, many attachments, and a manual that seems to be newer than the machine)

Betty

Comment

I have just cleaned and oiled my "new" featherweight and sat down to sew a bit, but the tension is terrible! If I tighten it, the thread from the spool breaks. Help!

Patty

Comment

Patty, I had a similar problem with my 'new' machine. After I replaced the needle, it sewed fine for a little bit, but then I noticed the tension wasn't right after a few inches. I tried everything, different threads, etc but it still wasn't right so I took it in to a professional. I found out that the problem was the bobbins that had come with the machine were not quite the right ones. They were a very tiny bit too wide, less than one millimeter, but otherwise they looked exactly the same as the correct ones.

After replacing the bobbins the tension problem was solved, and it really sang after a good cleaning and oiling. I went to a $5 class in my area to learn how to do that, and it wasn't hard at all. The manual tells you how to do it, but it was nice to have someone to show you and explain further.

Betty

Comment

Patty, I just realized you have already cleaned and oiled your machine-I had done some of that on my own, but I did still learn a lot from the class. That was also where I realized that my machine needs to be set at a fairly low tension number to sew correctly, even with the new bobbins.

Maybe someone else will correct me on this, but in the past I have taken apart the entire tension assembly on a similar machine, and in my recollection, it is possible to reassemble it in such a way that the numbers may not reflect the actual tension...that is, '5' may not be the middle setting.

Betty

Comment

Betty, thanks so much for this information. There are 6 or 8 bobbins that came with the machine - how can I know which one/ones are the right ones? Guess I should have a professional check it out. I would love to find a class in this area about featherweights!

Pat in rockport, TX sent me very detailed instructions on oiling and greasing the little machine which I followed carefully. That was a huge help for me and I will keep those instructions for future use.

I think I will try different bobbins and see if I can find the right one. I also changed threads with no improvement. I did take out the bobbin that was in the machine and tried a different one but that also made no difference.

Thanks again for your help

Comment

Patty, I had noticed that when I was changing bobbins, trying to solve the problem, I often had trouble getting the case replaced securely. I didn't think much of it until the repair guy showed me that the bobbin was partially protruding out of the case, enough to see the thread a little. The correct bobbin fits almost flush inside the case, with just a sliver of the rim showing. I can't tell you the exact size of my bobbins, as I bought them without packaging from a Singer dealer, but they are about a quarter of an inch wide.

Betty

Comment

Betty, I found the problem and now I have a beautiful seam! Apparently when I took the needle plate off to clean that area, I didn't make sure the bobbin case base was in the correct position. Once I adjusted that - perfect stitches!

I also changed the needle after you mentioned that helped your stitches. The one in the machine was a bit old

Thank you so much for your many good suggestions

Comment

Also, I'm going to check all my bobbins to see if I can see that sliver of a rim past the bobbin case. That's a great tip! Thanks!!!

Patty

Comment

Patty, you're so welcome-I had a feeling that it would be something simple. Happy sewing!

Betty

Comment

How often should I oil my Featherweight? I've been happily sewing away on a couple of projects and wonder if it should be oiled more often than my Janome.

thanks,
                              Patty

Comment

My sister has an old FW. Then a friend gave me a perfect condition in box with all the attachment FW. I donated to a special sale and they got over 400$ for it. After many years I wish I hadn't given that little machine away. I was at a yard sale and there was a FW with table in great condition for 20$ for everything. Now I have another machine. Just can't abandon a sewing machine that calls out to you.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2831 users online. 505 members and 2326 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                                Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X