Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Singer Featherweight

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singer Featherweight

I have a friend who adores her Featherweight. Anyone else have one? I check on ebay occasionally but they can go pretty high.
    I was astonished the other day at Sew Sunsational in Cocoa, Fl when one of the gals I was taking a class with admitted she had 50 :shock: machines! Yes, we all asked the same question...did you just say 15, or 50!... Amazing!!!

I have one Singer Featherweight and enjoy having it. I don't use it much, but I think they are great and I often see students bring them to class for piecing. Fifty machines? Now that's a collector!

Comment

Yes, I do love my featherweight, 1936, came from an estate sale....her name is Greta Pearl. It was quite obvious that the machine had been used lots and lots as family members told me when I bought it. Right now, it is a shell with all the parts in 23 labeled bags. My dh carefully took it apart making lots of notes. We had it painted and clear coated like a car is painted. The color is "corvette red". I have to say that the finished job is amazing. I can't wait for it be all together again, and hopefully sewing beautiful stitches. :wink: Dana

Comment

I have a Featherweight, too, 1945. I bought it off eBay a few years back. The best time to find one at not-so-huge prices is in January. Everyone's done in from Christmas and there's not so mcuh outrageous bidding. Don't forget to check yard sales and Goodwill!

Diane in Texas

Comment

I have a featherweight, and have to admit I didn't plan on buying one, but after much hesitation over a fairly high price I broke down... b/c, like dlquilter's, mine has a name, and her name is Florence! Meant to be mine I guess! :wink: But, since I got her, I use her at least 1/2 the time (after my Janome travel mate... no real prize, but I have the acrylic platform-thing that fits to make a larger quilting surface)

Be careful on Ebay tho b/c lots of machines are listed as featherweights that are simply Singer 221's. Ignorant or dishonest, I don't know, but be warned...
          Florence

Comment

Hi Florence -

Featherweights are the 221's. I think you meant the 3/4 size machines, which are the 99's. They're smaller than the other black Singers and are often described as featherweights...but they weigh upwards of 20 lbs. I've got one, and though it's cute, it is still one heavy machine.

Diane in Texas

Comment

I have a very good domestic machine (not going to name names) and I love her - her name is Betty. BUT when I got my featherwieght (elizabeth) a few years ago, only because i felt like it was so beautiful and just wanted to have something that another woman had made some antique quilts on, I jumped right on it to start piecing with, and i have to say, I ALWAYS get a straighter and more consistant stitch on my featherwieght. I took it and had it tuned up at a local machine dealer, and when she tested it on some scrap fabric to show me shes runs great, she told me I had to take the test fabric home with me because it was better than her very expensive machines were doing! They don't make things like the used to any more - sometimes, when all you need is a simple straight stitch, then go the "old fasioned" route, it is worth it. I am hoping to buy one for my daughters to use (14 and 7) as they are much easier to set up and go than my digital machine.

Tina Marie Rey

http://www.tmrey.com
              http://www.tmrey.etsy.com
              http://www.tmrey.blogspot.com

Comment

Tina, what a good testimony! Makes me want a Featherweight really bad, although I have one of the fancy computerized machines, too!

Comment

I do all my freemotion on my fancy machine. I do all my zig zag and fun stitches on my fancy machine, but all my straight stitch piecing is done on my featherwieght - and i know many people that do the same.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
                  I have a very good domestic machine (not going to name names) and I love her - her name is Betty. BUT when I got my featherwieght (elizabeth) a few years ago, only because i felt like it was so beautiful and just wanted to have something that another woman had made some antique quilts on, I jumped right on it to start piecing with, and i have to say, I ALWAYS get a straighter and more consistant stitch on my featherwieght. I took it and had it tuned up at a local machine dealer, and when she tested it on some scrap fabric to show me shes runs great, she told me I had to take the test fabric home with me because it was better than her very expensive machines were doing! They don't make things like the used to any more - sometimes, when all you need is a simple straight stitch, then go the "old fasioned" route, it is worth it. I am hoping to buy one for my daughters to use (14 and 7) as they are much easier to set up and go than my digital machine.

Tina Marie Rey

http://www.tmrey.com
                  http://www.tmrey.etsy.com
                  http://www.tmrey.blogspot.com

Comment

Where would a person start looking for a Featherweight? What's the price range? :?:

Comment

ip, you can find them at most quilt shows, there are lots of them online, just do a google search....mine came from an estate sale for $150.00, but most of the time you will pay at least $400.00 for one in working order. Some places rate them on a scale and the less scratches an wear that they have, the more they are....hope this helps. :wink: Dana

Comment

Thanx Dana! I've never seen a FW in person, but I remember my mother used to have an old black Singer she used for years. She would sew after us kids went to bed so I would fall asleep to the sound of her machine. I think that's one reason I find sewing so relaxing. Olive Branch, huh? I lived in Southaven MS about ten or eleven years ago. I understand it's changed alot. Thanx again! Sherry

Comment

I never particularly thought that I needed or wanted a Featherweight until I just happened to come upon one while cleaning out my FIL's garage. That's right! There it was! The little black box containing a Singer 221. I went running out to my husband, barely able to speak. Nobody else in the family knew its value nor wanted it for themselves so it became mine. I carefully hand-carried it on an airplane back to MD from CA. For $60.00 I had it cleaned and tuned up and I LOVE it. Now it is probably going back to CA to live at my son and DIL's house so I can sew out there when I visit. You just never know where a Featherweight will show up.

Comment

I found a "new" antique store in town last weekend, and put my name in for a Featherweight. The owner told me when the store first opened, they sold a green/white or turquoise color Featherweight 221 for $125! I've just GOT to have one!

Have you Featherweight owners seen the ad in the quilting magazines for the reproduction table for $247.50? The ad says "it looks exactly like the one Singer produced in the 1930's and 40's!"
                            http://www.jslyle.com
                            I guess this isn't news, as the link mentions the price of the table being less before Nov. of last year. Oh well, just in case!

Comment

If you keep an eye out, you may find an original table at a flea market or garage sale. I bought an original table and its matching extension table on eBay, but they were pretty expensive, since in very good condition. I love using one of my FW tables when piecing, since the work is at the right ergonomic height for comfortable sewing.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2107 users online. 258 members and 1849 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X