Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Singer Featherweight

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just posted a pic of my "new" FW in my profile. Also posted a silly pic or two.
    Sherry

Comment

Sherry, congratulations on your FW. Love the name, too. I have a black one from my birth year (and yes, there was electricity then!!!), and a white one and I can't remember it's birth year. I don't have either of them named. Help me out ladies. Give me some suggestions.

Sharon in TN

Comment

"Ebony" and "Ivory"? Gotta love Paul McCartney!
        Sherry 8)

Comment

I didn't know we were supposed to give our featherweights names. Mine is 2 years older than I am but still runs well. Some parts are missing but it keeps on chugging along. I bought mine in Williamsburg, VA in an antique shop several years ago. I never named my Bernina either. Am I a bad mother or what :roll:

Judy in AZ

Comment

I'm maybe a bad mother, too, Judy--my machines are nameless, too. I never thought about naming them until Ricky told us his machine's name. I guess I could name my first FW "Rosie" after my machine's original owner, my Aunt Rosie. I'll have to think more about my naming my second FW. I think I'm going to name my new Bernina "Wild Thing" for the out-of-control feeling I get sometimes when I'm trying to use the BSR!!! :lol: Sherry, your new FW is really cute! Judy in Torrance

Comment

Judy in Torrance, I guess we both should be arrested for neglect. My FW must have sat in an attic or basement for years and years as it had an awful musty odor. I finally had to throw away the wooden box after trying to get rid of the smell even following everyone's directions. I tried for over a year. But, you know, maybe my nose has gotten overly sensitive to scents as I grow older. I can't stand to walk through a department store in the perfume aisle or the laundry section of the grocery store. My DH has stopped wearing aftershave and I no longer wear perfume. Is this just me or has this happened to anyone else? Judy in AZ

Comment

Sherry, good idea!! Anything that has to do with The Beatles is good around this house.

Sharon in TN

Comment

Originally posted by jbtaz36
                  Judy in Torrance, I guess we both should be arrested for neglect. My FW must have sat in an attic or basement for years and years as it had an awful musty odor. I finally had to throw away the wooden box after trying to get rid of the smell even following everyone's directions. I tried for over a year. But, you know, maybe my nose has gotten overly sensitive to scents as I grow older. I can't stand to walk through a department store in the perfume aisle or the laundry section of the grocery store. My DH has stopped wearing aftershave and I no longer wear perfume. Is this just me or has this happened to anyone else? Judy in AZ
                  ME, TOO, JUDY!!! Must be part of the OFS!!! "Old farts syndrome", LOL!!! I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's so true!!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Sherry,
                    How are you enjoying your new FW? True confessions here..... I have3.... I bought the 2nd & 3rd for resale, but couldn't bear to part with them. And, I'd just love to find a white one!

Comment

Margo, you're so right!!! I have a couple more FW's, but they're in really bad condition. In fact, I decided the feed dogs on one weren't working properly and thought I'd just put my finger on them to see how good they were working. (BTW, the machine is running at this time!!). A minute later, I walked out of the garage to show my husband the machine needle sticking out of the center of my index finger!!! This was about 4 weeks after he'd fallen 20 feet out of a tree and broke his ankle! On the way to the hospital, I thought maybe we ought to ask the hospital to put up an honorary parking sign for us at the ER!!! I did find out that the feed dogs were working really well!!

Sharon in TN

Comment

Lulabelle, I love love love my new FW! It has become my primary piecing machine. It just runs like a dream!
                        Sharon-Holy crap! That sounds so painful! :shock: Here's the question I've asked my boys a million times..."Now then, what did we learn?" :wink:

Comment

Sherry, obviously I didn't learn much, since I did it when I was a pre-teen and just starting to sew on an electric machine. I had used a treadle for a few years because I was too young to use an electric. Whatever I was sewing didn't want to go under the presser foot, so I 'helped' it along by pushing!!

Guess you could say I'm a slow learner, huh?!!!

It really didn't hurt much at all. After about an hour sitting in the ER waiting room, it started to hurt some, but as soon as the doctor pulled it out, the pain went away and I haven't had a hint of pain since. Thank goodness it didn't go into the bone like the first one did. Now that one was painful!

Sharon in TN

Comment

Sharon,

Yikes! I think that it would be very easy to do that and a couple of times I've come close. But it was the rotary cutter that sent me to the emergency room...

Judy,

I don't think you have to be an old fart to develop a sensitivity to smells. I was in my 20s when I stopped wearing perfume because I couldn't stand it anymore. Now I hate to be around anyone wearing perfume/cologne, and I also avoid the perfume counters in the department stores. Smoking puts me over the edge, too. I gather that one can't be allergic to these things, just sensitive, but I don't know how or why it develops.

Comment

I guess I learned really young. I was about two when I crawled up on my grandmother's treadle machine and put a needle through the knuckle on the forefinger of my right hand. Now 66 yrs. later the little white scar still exists and until her dying day my mom never forgave her MIL for allowing me to do that when I was in the dGma's care. funny things that last for years aren't there.

But fortunately I have never done that again but don't ask me about the other stupid injuries I have had because they are numerous and embarrassing. Oh well maybe I am just accident prone LOL

Ann still would love to have that old treadle have no idea where it disappeared to.

Comment

Ruth, I can't stand to be in a room with smoking. I really have an over sensitive nose :roll: ( to aftershave, perfumes, musty boxes, fabric softener( I get 0 sensitivity. My DH brought home something with a 3 in scents and I had to double wrap it and put it in the trash. He thought he was helping, so from now on I buy the fabric sheets) Yet after all the complaining, I can still go into antique stores.

Judy in AZ where it is heating up

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2794 users online. 449 members and 2345 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                                Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X