Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 1 — Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

256 little fan blades stitched into groups of four .....and a photo of them nestling in a tin for safe-keeping! Now it's time to get back to completing last year's "Homeward Bound". Maybe in the evenings, when watching TV, I can trace and cut out the 256 little centres for the fans?
    Marilyn

Comment

• Sheridan D. commented
      Editing a comment
      So pretty.

• Laurie F. commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your round tin to store the fan blades!
      Rather than make 64 centers for the fans, why not make a double template and have just 32? Larger arcs are easier to sew, too!

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      So adorable in the tin.

Jamie M.

Comment

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      This will be beautiful! I love brown quilts.

Originally posted by LORIM View Post
    I cut a 20 inch block and sewed my bunny ring onto the block. I still need to trim it down to 16 1/2 inches. I don’t have a ruler that size so it’s kind of scary. Is that what you mean?
    Lori M. When I have to trim a block and it is bigger than my rulers, I tape pieces of vellum paper that is same size as copier paper.
    together, lay it on my cutting mat using the lines of the mat. Cut it to the size I need for my block. Lay that cut piece of
    vellum on the block and it is easy to center because you can see thru it. Use a piece scotch tape on each side of the vellum to
    the block so it can not shift. Then cut the block using my 6 by 24 inch ruler. Cut thru the tape and then just pull the tape off.
    I have found this to be accurate and not scary. HelenW

The picture is not a big block, it is one I took years ago to show someone the process I use. You should be able to get the idea.

Comment

• LORI M. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! That’s excellent instructions!

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Mats are not always accurate so check your paper “ruler” with a real ruler you are sure is accurate, Quilters Select and Creative Grids are the best.

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Good Advice Barbara, Back when I bought my mats the Olfa company was advertising that
      their lines on their mats were always accurate and that was a reason to buy their product.
      But I have measured my mats and even my rulers and that gives me peace of mind that I don't
      have to worry that one aspect of quilting. I used a metal Stanley tape measure, because even
      sewing tape measures can stretch. HelenW

I had such a hard time with this block! I had never done a y seam before so it took a while to understand the best way to do it. But my difficulties were with putting the center star on the outer fabric. I found it very difficult and made lots of mistakes. When I finally got it to fit on the out fabric, it was not a 6 1/2 inch block. So I started over again this time I decided to hand stitch it onto the background fabric. I am so much happier that now it is the right size. Phew!

Comment

Block 1 ready for trimming to size. Barbara B., thank you so much for the suggestion of cutting the outside frame larger. I can see how that could have been a problem. Marie

Comment

Started sewing my outer border fans and made the decision to delete the seam in the lower quadrant piece making it a semi circle. Need to concentrate on getting the seam between the semi circle and the fans blades smoother.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Sheridan D. I plan to do the same thing. Also plan to eliminate the seam above the fan blades.
          For a smoother bottom of the fan blades, could you wait to draw the bottom line until you have the
          fan blades together. Then take you semi circle C template and use Jen's idea of making the line
          using the template of the adjoining template. Put template C sew line on the edge of the bottom
          of the fans and the seam allowance into the bottom of the fan and draw a smooth semi circle.
          Just an idea I plan to use. HelenW

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          Later this year I will provide tips on this process.

My block is done, I used vintage feedsacks in it. Hand and machine stitched.

Comment

• commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful--I love your vintage fabrics!

• soniasimone commented
          Editing a comment
          How great to have vintage feedsacks! This will be a real heirloom.

Month 1 finished!
        Sally Gould Wright

Comment

• soniasimone commented
          Editing a comment
          Such a lovely color combination!

Finished my center block! It is totally hand pieced and I loved the process. Made from my stash with little or no thought of color theory. It finished exactly at 16 1/2”, beginners luck I guess.
        Ellen Jordan

Comment

Finished my Month 1 block. Using fabrics from my own stash as well as the stash inherited from my Mom. Did all machine piecing, but cut pieces by hand. Karen Kay Buckley scissors were a real blessing!

Comment

Finished block 1

Comment

Just need the outer part and month 1 will be done. Also got 7 border blocks done. Mixture of hand and machine is working for me.

Comment

This reply by AMiller has been deleted by AMiller

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1030small.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	898776 This is my month 1 block. It is 16.25” square. I have been reading the others’ solutions and will think about what to do. I’m leaning towards the ribbon idea.

Finished the center block Yikes! I think it came out fine. I am using my scrap stash so not paying to much attention to color except to make it colorful. Love seeing everyone's blocks.

Comment

This is my month 1 square. It is 16.25" square. I have been reading others' solutions to decide what to do. I am leaning towards the suggestion of ribbon as coping strips. I regret not following Barbara's advice to make the outer sections larger!
                  Last edited by Annette M.; 01-17-2024, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Annette M. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for that suggestion. I'll let you know how it works!

• Annette M. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That worked like a charm. I taped off a 16.5" square on my design wall (foam insulation beneath grey flannel) and pinned the wet square to it.

• Helen W. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Annette, Thanks for posting the picture of the blocking you block. I think it might help others
                    who also come out a little short. I always try to add a little extra on outside borders if a block has
                    circles or curves, because they tend to pull in a little extra fabric and seam allowances come out short. HelenW

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2745 users online. 412 members and 2333 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,313  
                Welcome to our newest member, lanaderay lanaderay-lanaderay0011.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

• MONTH 8 is Up!
                  A few days early, Month 8 patterns are up and ready. Enjoy!
                • PICK A PETAL -- Show Your Finished Top Here
                  So many are getting their Pick a Petal done early! Use this TOPIC so show off your completed top or quilt.
                • video tutorials
                  For some reason I thought that you had done monthly videos for the bom, but maybe I'm wrong because I cant find them an...
                • MONTH 8 — Ask Questions Here
                  Please use this TOPIC to ask questions about month 8....
                • MONTH 8 — Show Your Progress Here
                  Please use this TOPIC to share your progress.
                • No more items.
                Working...
                X