Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 1 — Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished my first block! I machine pieced the fan blades but did the rest by hand. I too found this a challenging block. Now I just need to trim down the block. Thanks Barbara for that tip.
    Janet

Comment

Originally posted by HelenW View Post

Carole, I saw all the pins you use on your fan. Does your thread get caught on them when you are stitching?
      I put the pin in the spot on the line and go thru the line on the bottom fabric, then put a clip next to the pin
      and pull the pin out. It works great. Your block is looking great, so glad you are enjoying it. HelenW
      Helen, pins haven’t been a problem for me, but thanks for providing your method. This afternoon I finished attaching all the fans and cut out the background. Next step should be interesting.
      Carole Berry

Comment

Thank you Helen. The fabric is an old one from my stash it’s a grey gradient.
        Gail, Far North Queensland, Australia

Comment

This was to be my test block, but I think my fabrics are too wild so that the star doesn’t stand out from the fabrics touching the star points. What do you think?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            Glenda, I agree with you. Click on Photos on this Topic to see all the stars that have been posted so far to see which seem to work best. I would try to have more light fan blades next to your dark Star points for higher contrast.

Originally posted by nhbaskets View Post

Helen, pins haven’t been a problem for me, but thanks for providing your method. This afternoon I finished attaching all the fans and cut out the background. Next step should be interesting.
          Carole, I too got to work on my block before the power went out in our big wind storm. Power just came back on so I can
          use the computer again. I combined 2 D templates to get rid of the diagonal seams in the background. Just wanted a cleaner
          look. I turned edge using Judith's plastic template idea and then just zig zag the edge. Wish I would have tried hand applique
          the edge, but can't change that now. Your block is looking great. I think your idea of having Jen sign it was great. Be sure
          to take an appropriate pen so you don't get caught just pulling out an ink pen from your purse. HelenW

To combine 2 D templates you would trace the first one regular, then stack the diagonal sew line on the first one and trace the
          second one.
          Last edited by Helen W.; 01-10-2024, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautifully organized block, Helen. And making the background from 4 vs 8 pieces is smart. I am sure it isn’t that way in the pattern because the template would not fit on the page. Making your own solves the problem.

• Sheridan D. commented
            Editing a comment
            I did this too. 1 to eliminate seam but 2 for fabric continuity.

• Monique G. commented
            Editing a comment
            Such a great color combination. I which I had your color sense and expertise. I can't wait to see what you are going to do next.

Well, I thought I was done. Then I measured and I’m woefully short. Agressive pressing won’t help, so I’ve got three options from what I can tell:
          1. Remove border and cut larger. Why didn’t I do as Barbara suggested?
          2. Add a narrow border to make up the difference.
          3. Treat this as a learning experience and start over.
          The good news is that this is the first block I’ve ever pieced and I actually did it—and learned a lot. And the fact that it’s hand pieced really makes me happy.
          Carole Berry

Comment

• Judith A. commented
            Editing a comment
            Carole, I can hardly believe this is your first block! You are doing a wonderful job. If this block were mine, I would add a border. Sue Garman used them in her TQS BOM pattern. I believe she called them "coping strips." I used to have her instructions on how to figure this, but no longer have them. Others here can probably give you some tips. Keep up the great work!

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            What size is it? If it’s less than an inch short adding a border would really add a lot more seam allowance than you might want.

• Carol L. commented
            Editing a comment
            Carole, you have such a great attitude! Can’t believe this is your first… Keep up the good work

I was a bit nervous cutting into the kit fabrics with all the curves (done lots in the past but have lost my mojo lately so confidence flagging) so I got out my basket of neutrals I gathered for a never-started project. So glad I did the warm up exercise of cutting and sewing as it made doing the real deal so much easier. May continue on with practice bits in neutrals so I might even end up with a secondary project at the end (tho neutrals are NOT my colors!!)

Comment

Love doing the block of the months, especially this forum and Barbara Black that teaches me so much! I am currently doing an EPP project and learned through their forum to add glitter washi tape to the back of my templates. Helps grip the fabric since I seem to be more accurate cutting with a rotary cutter and a revolving cutting mat. Good news is- granddaughters love any left over tape!

Comment

Originally posted by JudithA View Post
              Carole, I can hardly believe this is your first block! You are doing a wonderful job. If this block were mine, I would add a border. Sue Garman used them in her TQS BOM pattern. I believe she called them "coping strips." I used to have her instructions on how to figure this, but no longer have them. Others here can probably give you some tips. Keep up the great work!
              Thanks for the pep talk! As with most of us, I’m my own worst critic. My love is working with wool, so this cotton game is certainly out of my comfort zone.

My first thought was to add a border. Since my post, I used some Flatter (if you haven’t used this, you need to!) on the background and gained a 1/4”. Maybe if use it more liberally all over, I can make up the 1/2” I’m missing.

Leaving this as is for now. I’m getting ready to travel to CA (from NH) for Road2CA where my first-ever quilt (the 2021 AQS BOM) has been juried in. I did mine in wool on linen and totally personalized it with family homes, pets and places that have meaning to me and my family.
              Carole Berry

Comment

Originally posted by JudithA View Post
                Coping Strips or Floater borders help make pieced borders fit a quilt middle. I have a Tutorial on my blog based on Sue Garman’s instructions on how to do this.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/20...r-borders.html
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL
                https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• Judith A. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, Barbara. Your tutorial on coping strips on your blog is a great reminder.

Finally got the first block finished. I’m generally a machine piecer and have never hand pieced before. I thought I would do some machine and some hand on this quilt. So enjoyed the hand piecing that I have done it all by hand. As some others have done I eliminated the diagonal seam in the background. I tried to fussy cut them as best I could for continuity. Needs a good press but pretty happy with it.
                Thanks Barbara for the tip to extend the background sections, it’s just shy of 16 1/2” without the extension so now I can trim to exact size.
                Last edited by Sheridan D.; 01-10-2024, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What a great use of the Lollies fabrics! Love the background from only 4 sections, wish I had thought of that.

• Monique G. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Adding the black strips has really enhanced the look of the block. Is this a fusible fabric??

Originally posted by nhbaskets View Post

Thanks for the pep talk! As with most of us, I’m my own worst critic. My love is working with wool, so this cotton game is certainly out of my comfort zone.

My first thought was to add a border. Since my post, I used some Flatter (if you haven’t used this, you need to!) on the background and gained a 1/4”. Maybe if use it more liberally all over, I can make up the 1/2” I’m missing.

Leaving this as is for now. I’m getting ready to travel to CA (from NH) for Road2CA where my first-ever quilt (the 2021 AQS BOM) has been juried in. I did mine in wool on linen and totally personalized it with family homes, pets and places that have meaning to me and my family.
                Carole, Welcome to the world of Troubleshooting what is not quite right!!! Your block is wonderful. The good thing about
                hand stitching is that it is a lot easier to rip out. If your take off your border, I would get rid of the diagonal seams because
                it just looks cleaner. If you just want to add a coping strip, I would make it look like a designer intentional choice. One
                way would be to use something decorative like Tula Pink trims. I took a couple screen shots, but she has hundreds of designs.
                You would mark a line on the top of the block at the distance that would make the 7/8 inch tape cause the block to be 16.5 inches.
                You could machine or hand stitch it to the top the block. Then when you make your next round of blocks you would again mark the sewing
                line on the top of the block line of blocks and lay the tape edge on the line and hand stitch down. There is very little bulk since you don't have
                the seam allowance, because tape does not fray. If you don't understand this description I can make you a sample with pictures.
                If you were going to make it special and liked this idea, you could buy the plain colored tape and do you fabulous hand embroidery
                on it like you did on the circular road sections of Color My World. HelenW

PS IF YOU PLAN TO HAVE JEN SIGN THE BLOCK YOU MIGHT WANT TO FRAME IT AND START
                OVER FOR THE BOM. NOT EVERYONE FRAMES THE FIRST BLOCK THEY EVER MAKE!!
                Last edited by Helen W.; 01-11-2024, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Carole B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Helen, I like the idea of the tape with some embellishing! If my additional pressing doesn’t solve the issue, will definitely look at that. Thank you for opening my eyes to a who other element!

Originally posted by Barbara Black View Post
                What size is it? If it’s less than an inch short adding a border would really add a lot more seam allowance than you might want.
                Originally, it was 3/4” short. After pressing the border using Flatter, I gained 1/4”. I’m thinking about using Flatter on the entire block to see how it turns out, then make a decision.
                Carole Berry

Comment

Finished Center block. Tried hand piecing for the first time. Thankful for the tutorials and the templates. I'm going with a totally scrappy look.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You nailed it! Love your background fabric.

• Judith A. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Camille, Beautiful job! I really like your background fabric. The swirls in the background coordinate perfectly with the curved pieces.  Would you mind telling me what fabric it is...maybe the collection and anything else you can tell me about it.      Thank you

Month one all finished

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2019 users online. 173 members and 1846 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                  X