Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 1 — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbara do you know if the templates will be restocked?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, more have been ordered and are expected by the end of January. Be sure to ask the Shop to let you know when they are in as they will likely sell out quickly.

I am almost finished with block 1. I made the outside larger like you suggested. What size should it be trimmed down to?

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      The finished block with seam allowance is trimmed to 16.5 inches square. HelenW

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Read the pattern.

I rotary cut around the acrylic templates most of the time unless the curve is too tiny, then I trace and cut that part with scissors. To prevent the template from slipping I use a small piece of “nurse’s tape” (any nurses out there will know exactly what I am talking about) - 3M Transpore tape. It tears easily and stays intact. It works perfect. You can get it at drugstores or Amazon

Comment

Barbara… had sone extra time and cut out some fans. I enlarged the picture. If I’m correct…. The fans are just 4 and a handle… then we would sew together?? I almost sew the 8 as a unit. Am I correct.
      Elizabeth Anderson
      Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        The outer border is made from 64 fans, made exactly like in Month 1. Four blades, a handle and a background. The template for the background will be provided late in the year. It is included in the acrylic template set.

Hi, I read your blog and watched the video, but am slightly confused about where I am adding the extra half inch when cutting out template D. I understand the long outer edge, but am less sure about the left edge. Also, when sewing I assume I still use all the registration marks as usual - is that correct? Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Hi, I read your blog and watched the video, but am slightly confused about where I am adding the extra half inch when cutting out template D. I understand the long outer edge, but am less sure about the left edge. Also, when sewing I assume I still use all the registration marks as usual - is that correct? Many thanks
        Leonie D. I added 1/4 inch on all the long outside edge of the block. I also added 1/4 inch on the short end piece that
        would be the horizontal and vertical lines to the outside edge. You might not need it there but if you get the curves stitched
        and you get ready to stitch the short lines You can always just cut the 1/4 inch off in that area. I got rid of the diagonal
        lines by laying the sew line of template diagonal for the two pieces and drawing both templates onto the fabric.
        Any time you make a circular design it is often very hard to not come out short on the outer edge of a block.
        That is why lots of designers like Jacqueline De Jonge always add the quarter inch and then when you trim to exact size there is enough.HelenW

CLICK ON THE PICTURES TO ENLARGE THEM

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent information and description, thank you, Helen.

The outside edges of all of the blocks, Center Star and Blocks 1 and 2 coming in February and March, having very narrow measurements. Add extra there for "insurance".

I added a good 1/2" extra to the outer edges.

• Leonie D. commented
          Editing a comment
          Many thanks!!

• Connie H. commented
          Editing a comment
          I have read all comments on the forum, watched the lives, and read the blog. Barbara, I know you added 1/2 inch on the long straight outside edge. Did you also add 1/2 to the short straight end pieces, or did you find that added to the long edge was enough? Helen thanks for the great pics and description. Everyone has been so helpful.

Barbara… I hope you reiterate the need to make blacks in February and March a little larger in those months blogs. Thanks
        Elizabeth Anderson
        Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          I certainly will. Month 2 blog is done, month 3 will be written today.

Is there a picture of the quilt that has the divisions for each month posted? I really appreciated the one that was posted for Flower Garden Down Under
        Susan Skeel
        Des Moines Iowa

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          No. This project works a bit differently than previous ones. There really isn’t a “do this much this month” plan.
          Month 1 — center star
          Month 2 — Block 1 is introduced, there are 20 in the quilt, make them over time
          Month 3 — Block 2 is introduced, also 20 to make over time
          Month 4 — Log Cabin block is introduced, 20 to make over time
          Months 5-10 — appliqués and Embroidery done on individual log cabin blocks and then some on Log Cabin borders after instructions say to assemble those.
          Month 11 — outer fan blocks are introduced, make 64
          Month 12 — assembly of quilt top, some quilting and finishing instructions provided
          That is the schedule. I have already encouraged people to work on the 64 outer border fan blocks over time so as to not have to make 64 all at once. More tips like that are coming.

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the question Susan and thanks for the answer Barbara. I was wondering the same thing
          but did not want to ask. HelenW

I’m starting my outer border fans as suggested by Barbara. I was thinking of eliminating the seam in the fan centres by making them a semi circles instead of a quarter circle. Is this going to cause me any grief later down the track?
        Last edited by Sheridan D.; 01-14-2024, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          No grief. I suspect that isn’t how the template is made due to size and cost. You can certainly make your own “double” to combine 2 quarters into a half.

• Sheridan D. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Barbara

Is there a reason why the B pieces seams should be pressed to one side instead of pressed open? I would like to press mine open but don’t want a problem down the road. Thank you.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          If you press open backstitch at the ends to prevent the seams from popping open when you sew on the little handle, a tight curve.

Having fun so far. Almost done with my center, and working on the outer border fans. Just a quick question, what is the finished size of each fan block? TIA

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          In my Month 1 LIVE and Blog I said they are the same size as the Month 1 fan—same templates are used for both. 4” finished Fan Blocks.
          I will provide lots of additional tips for the outside border later this year. Those who work ahead will miss
          those.
          Rush ahead with that warning.
          Last edited by Barbara B.; 01-15-2024, 08:10 AM.

This may have been asked before but I didn't see it. I am starting the outer fans. Do all the center triangles need to be the same like the center block or are they scrappy?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you are asking about the handles of the fans. They are scrappy in the sample quilt.

Barbara, do you think that John is going to have a picture of Pick a Petal that we may zoom in on? It's a wonderful feature, even if our fabrics are not the same, it would be fun to have!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          Working on that.

Hi Barb - Is there any word on when the templates will be in? I realize they are coming from Australia and I do have my name in for notify me when they come in

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          The shop will notify you when they are available. By the end of January is the estimate.

Any problem with sewing some of the pieces by hand and some by machine? I can see that in order to do all those fans for the outer border I could do some by hand in the evening watching TV with my husband.
        Sally Gould Wright

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          No problem at all. I call it the “hybrid” method. No one will know which method you used in the end.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2571 users online. 349 members and 2222 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,314  
      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

• MONTH 8 is Up!
        A few days early, Month 8 patterns are up and ready. Enjoy!
      • video tutorials
        For some reason I thought that you had done monthly videos for the bom, but maybe I'm wrong because I cant find them an...
      • PICK A PETAL -- Show Your Finished Top Here
        So many are getting their Pick a Petal done early! Use this TOPIC so show off your completed top or quilt.
      • MONTH 8 — Ask Questions Here
        Please use this TOPIC to ask questions about month 8....
      • MONTH 8 — Show Your Progress Here
        Please use this TOPIC to share your progress.
      • No more items.
      Working...
      X