Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 1 — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you saying that the frame template is not correct and that if it is used exactly as is it will cause a problem?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      No, the template is accurate but with very little fabric beyond the fans it is safer for me to “cut it big and whack it off” after the block is complete. My slogan: “I don’t have to sew to perfection if I can trim to perfection.”

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Barbara -- I always add a little extra to the outside edge of blocks. It makes it so much easier to assemble later.

What color thread do you use for hand piecing all these different colors? And what type of thread? 50 wt, 60 wt, cotton or poly? Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      I use light gray or beige, Quilters Select 60 or 80 wt. if I didn’t have that I would use 50 wt Masterpiece by Superior.

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      Jen uses Auriful Antique Blush (which she calls "granny knicker pink"). Lighter midtone gray or beige works great. If my fabrics are very light (mine are for this one), I'll go as light as a cream.

I really like Fil a Gant, which is a fine cotton thread from France. But it's not always easy to get your hands on. Have been very happy with 50 or 60 wt Aurifil or any high-quality 50- or 60-wt.

Just wondering if future paper templates (sent on the pattern instructions) could come with the 'dot' markers (that are part of the acrylic templates) so that we can accurately hand piece those same points as well please [hope that makes sense]. Thanks, Kara
    Last edited by Kara E.; 01-01-2024, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      The inner lines on the paper pattern show exactly where the corners are so you can simply put a dot at each corner.

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Kara, I just started a sample block, and I just extended the lines
      to the edge of the seam allowance. That makes a cross hair
      where you are supposed to stop. HelenW

• Azenath W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Barbara B. could you please maybe post a picture of or show next month on your blog where the dot goes on the inner lines on the paper pattern of templates.

Amy E Yes, that is the gun. And you are right...there are better prices. I see one on Amazon, with 1080 black and white fasteners, with free delivery by Jan 5. (MicroStitch the Original Tagging gun. I prefer the Avery Denison Microtach to the Avery Denison MicroStitch, because the MicroTach has an attached cord to the needle cover. The MicroStitch needle cover is not attached and is easy to misplace. I like the Avery nylon fasteners for quilting on my home sewing machine, especially for free-motion quilting. I can quilt in any direction I want without having to avoid or remove pins. I also recommend the Dritz Quilters Basting Grid, It was designed to be used with the Dritz Basting Gun (which I do not like), but it works well with the Avery MicroTach and MicroStitch. Happy quilting!
    Last edited by Judith A.; 01-01-2024, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Has anyone tried cutting with a rotary cutter around the acrylic templates?

Comment

Hi , I can't seem to find the pattern, all I keep getting is the introduction . thank you caroline

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          You must be logged in as a Star Member. It should say “ Welcome Caroline” on the far right side on the top purple bar. I often have to sign in more than once to have it “take”.

Will TQS be getting more acrylic templates in?

Whats the best way to make the templates?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, more have been ordered. Go to the Shop and ask to be notified when they are back in stock so you can order right then.

My template A has a hole that is not in a corner - so it has a total of 5 holes. I have looked through the instructions and can't find any reference to it. Does anyone know what is suppose to be for?

Comment

• soniasimone commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven’t quite got to it yet, but I’m pretty sure it will line up with the fan blade units

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          You are correct, there are 5 holes. The extra one has no purpose I can determine. My guess is the design was changed and this hole was no longer needed.

• Debra W. commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the same question and I hope by replying to your question, I will be alerted to the answer. Thanks for asking!

I have a question about pressing. I took a class from Jen and I recall her saying that she does not press her blocks during construction. For those who have experience with making Jen’s quilts, do you press each block or wait until the entire top or large section is completed?
        Carole Berry

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          I press each block as it’s completed because they look so good flat and the correct size.

• soniasimone commented
          Editing a comment
          Same as Barbara, I press each block after I sew them.

Barbara, the video of the tailors knot went so fast. Do you have the steps and if possible show a picture right before you pull it through to make knot. Many thanks

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          I had to watch it several times and then again when I was actually doing it. Check about 28 minutes in on the Show.

Originally posted by ohiotall View Post
        Hi , I can't seem to find the pattern, all I keep getting is the introduction . thank you caroline
        Caroline, After you are logged in, click on LEARN. At the top of the next screen will be the Pick a Petal banner. Click on learn more. Then you will see the page with
        the pattern videos and patterns. HelenW

CLICK ON THE PHOTO IN ANY FORUM POST TO ENLARGE IT.

Comment

Originally posted by JudyFN View Post
          Barbara, the video of the tailors knot went so fast. Do you have the steps and if possible show a picture right before you pull it through to make knot. Many thanks
          I took screenshots of Jen showing the tailors knot at a class I attended last summer. I’ve added descriptions with each photo. Not the best, but hope this helps!
          Carole Berry

Comment

Barbara,
            I am pulling fabrics from my stash. I’m of the mindset 100+ fabrics! Would you separate the “whole piece” you have of each fabric selected or cut a portion - like a 10” x 10” or so? That’s a confusing way to ask….what size piece of each fabric selected do I need at this point?
            Last edited by Vesta C.; 01-02-2024, 10:49 AM.
            Vesta

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              The Kit has 99 fat eighths, 9” x 22”, and one fat quarter for the star center background. Those amounts are generous.
              Last edited by Barbara B.; 01-03-2024, 04:01 PM.

Hello Barbara, I saw your comment about printing from computer got you the full 1" square however it doesn't for me. I have wasted a ton of paper trying every way I know to get it to print correctly and it is either too small or it runs off the page. The sides are one inch exactly but bottom runs off. I am now going to have to purchase some longer paper as soon as I can get to a office supply store and see it that will work. Ive used the print actual size and also default as well as 100% and nothing works. Any other suggestions? seems many of us are have this same issue. I have used letter size and also A4 setting. I printed from my phone as well as from my Windows PC.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              If you get 3 lines you can verify the box is 1” wide so you are good. The folks at the website are trying to change the designer’s pattern to move the box up a bit so future months should not have this issue.

• Vicki F. commented
              Editing a comment
              My 1" square is printing off the page also. I am only getting 2 lines...so no way to measure. I did print it on actual size so hoping it is correct. The pieces look larger than I expected.

• Sue G. commented
              Editing a comment
              After I print the pattern sheet I copy it at 105% in order to get the 1” measurement. If you can see 2 lines then you will have the measurement that you need.

Is it possible to save and send that templates to us as either jpg or svg so that we can print the templates using out die cut machines in order to get accurate templates since they are out of stock? I do not trust my "homemade" ones. Thank you

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              More templates have been ordered. Go to the Shop and ask to be notified when they are back in stock so you can be sure to get them.

• Cindy B. commented
              Editing a comment
              There are free pdf to svg convertors online

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2083 users online. 207 members and 1876 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
          X