Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 12 --Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 12 --Ask Questions Here

Please use this Topic to ask questions about Month 12.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

It was incredibly irritating to have no diagram for the star part of the border. I found the wording rather confusing and a diagram would have helped immensely. It's kind of a pain to have to come to the computer to look at the quilt zoomed in when my sewing room is on the second floor and my computer is on the first floor. My husband keeps telling me it is OK to get more exercise going up and down the stairs, but I would have been much happier with a diagram for that part of the block. Everything else got a diagram!

Linda

Comment

• Carol G. commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel your frustration. I have never done a TQS BOM before, but I feel the instructions on this are lacking. Even when the instructions stated 'this was done the same as in month x'. I think a copy/paste would have been possible to include in the current month.
      What helped me was I printed a picture of the quilt & slid it in the cover of my 3 ring binder I've been using.

I haven't started month 12 yet....wish me luck!

• Paola B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto! The instructions were lacking and I too had to constantly look at my photo of the completed quilt in order to understand what was going on. Without Barbara's blog I would have been lost.

• Elizabeth A. commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with your comment… as I was too cheap to print out a color copy of the front of the quilt. I often pulled it up on my iPad and referred to the picture…
      If it weren’t for Barbara I would have also become more frustrated with the instructions… correct placement of the stars on the left side of the border should have been emphasized.

A million thanks to Barbara Black for providing clarification to directions and much guidance during this BOM project for 2023. I do not think I would have continued to work on it without her help. Although I am behind, I know I can still see her entries and tutorials to get me to the finish line. She is an amazing online teacher (tutorials and her blog). I had the pleasure of taking the Antique Rose Star class she taught yesterday at the International Quilt Festival Houston. She is an awesome teacher: patient, great knowledge/techniques to share, uses teachable moments to help everyone and is like the energizer bunny running around the classroom all day to help her students. I can't wait to take another class from her next year. Thanks Barbara!!

A thanks to The Quilt Show for being such a reputable company. When additional fabric was needed for the 2023 BOM, it was provided to the kit purchasers in a profressional and timely manner. I look forward to another year of shows, patterns, and classes. Your subscription is the best present I give myself each year!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Marsha, for this unsolicited testimonial! You were a delight in class and all the students raved about the class.
    This reply by PaolaRB has been deleted by PaolaRB

I have started looking a Month 12's instructions and I am finding some issues that are creating confusion for me. Maybe someone can clarify them for me. On page 2 under the cutting instructions for the strips it mentions fabric 1 (which is the smallest strip- I believe from Tiny Dots Peacock fabric). However on page 3 is states that "fabric 1 is used for the Cabin Units and Star B units." Isn't this an error? When I look at the photo of the quilt it seems to me the the cabin units and star B units are surrounded by the background fabric. Am I missing something? Also the measurement for the strip fabrics when sewn together is written as 9 1/2" X 6 1/2". Is this correct? It has left out fabric 1 the smallest of the strips.

Originally posted by PaolaRB View Post
    Ditto! The instructions were lacking and I too had to constantly look at my photo of the completed quilt in order to understand what was going on. Without Barbara's blog I would have been lost.
    Thank you, Paola! I think you figured out your questions about Month 12 but, if not, I just now released my Month 12 Blog that was scheduled to post the end of November.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/20...-month-12.html

I spent more than 3 hours trying to figure out Month 12 when I was checking the pattern in September 2022. Several of the diagrams were wrong and it was a real struggle to understand what was supposed to happen. We finally got corrected Diagrams, that helped.

All I can say is, read the pattern carefully and ask here if you still have questions.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL

Comment

• Paola B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I did. In fact I went back and removed my questions with fear that it would have confused others. I had not read ALL of the instructions for month 12 which created problems in my understanding. When I went back and reread everything it became much clearer. I will now stop and read your blog before I go forward. The blog has been my lifesaver! Thank you!

Not a question and not a criticism but just a suggestion. When a kit has fabrics that are going to be used in various months for applique and then, in this case, for rectangles cut from 1 1/2" strips, it would have been helpful in Month 1 to include cutting instructions that said to cut a certain strip from the fabrics to set aside for month 12. The reason I am suggesting this, is I did not have 7 1/2" of Tiny Dots Bluebell intact for the Color 5 requirements. I had to be very creative at harvesting from what remained after pulling circles in Month 2, flowers in month 8, bird bodies in month 9 and triangles in month 10. Three of my 1 1/2 x 5 1/2 rectangles will be pieced from remnants. Totally my fault because I used my Brother Scan n Cut but had I known to set aside five 1 1/2" strips, I would have reconsidered how to get the appliques from that fabric.

Comment

• ANN Y. commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Donna on the cutting of fabric. I am short on the Tula yellow fabric with orange dots. Should have cut the strips out first before using the piece in the kit.
      I am not wastefull with fabric so cannot work out the shortfall. Now have to source another piece here in Australia.

i cant find how much fabric i need for the strip border....i found the colors for it but not how much.

Comment

• Sharon P. commented
      Editing a comment
      oops...i found it.ha.

Barbara, am I correct in my interpretation of the Star B Units? Excuse the crude drawing.
    I feel like saying "do four this way and four this other way" makes more sense than "The coloured square of fabric 1 will be at the end opposite the star - the outer edge of the quilt."

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Donna, you have it right. Four go like your sketch, four have the aqua/white strip on the left side.

I agree there could have been more, better diagrams. I had to focus on getting all the incorrect instructions and diagrams corrected. Hopefully, you have it figured out and will soon have a beautiful quilt top.

• Carol G. commented
      Editing a comment
      Donna - thank you for your post and drawing. Your wording helps a lot

• Elizabeth A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I just realized the same error… will have to unsew 4 of them
      I wish this had been clearer also

Do we know when the 2024 quilt will be announced? I am really excited to see it.
    Teri

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Soon, very soon. Kits are delayed, that is the holdup. It sure is pretty!

Originally posted by terimeggers View Post
    Do we know when the 2024 quilt will be announced? I am really excited to see it.
    Wednesday November 15 Alex’s LIVE will reveal the 2024 BOM. Noon Central Time. Facebook and YouTube, recorded to be available anytime
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL

Comment

I am having an awful time figuring out measurements on the cabin.I’ve read and reread info.unfortunately, getting nowhere. Would someone please give me the dimensions of the cabin? I’ve got the roof and flying geese done.ha.where do I find the correction in the pattern….that may help

Comment

Originally posted by sharongail View Post
        I am having an awful time figuring out measurements on the cabin.I’ve read and reread info.unfortunately, getting nowhere. Would someone please give me the dimensions of the cabin? I’ve got the roof and flying geese done.ha.where do I find the correction in the pattern….that may help
        Go look at my Month 11 blog, it shows a diagram of the 4 units that make the cabin. You can easily figure out the cut sizes of each piece. The sizes in the pattern are correct:

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/20...-month-11.html
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

• Sharon P. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. My “bad” as I was looking in month 12!!

Barbara, I need your help. I’m getting a late start making this quilt. I’ve acquired all of the fabrics and have downloaded all of the patterns and will start on it this next week. I know the patten will no longer be available after January, but, my question is, how long will Sarah’s videos and your forum will be available on the website for me to view? From what I’m reading, I doubt I will be able to complete the quilt without them. Should I be figuring a way to cut & paste them?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          The videos, LIVE broadcasts, Forum and my blog continue indefinitely. Only the patterns are removed as the rights will return to the designer after 2023. So you will have access to all the help that has been available all this year.

Barbara, If we had wanted to do raw edge appliqué for this project, what stabilizer/fusible would work well for that? Does Quilters Select have a product? Or would Print & Piece Fuse Lite be fine? Thanks for guiding us through this year!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          I used Print n Piece Fuse Lite for raw edge appliqué on Afternoon Delight. It worked great.

• Connie H. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Barbara -- I'm still working on the homeward bound quilt I've finished months 6,7,8, 9 and I plan to review previous forum posts before I decide whether to go forward with months 10 or backward to month 1 -- I need to review the forum posts for specific months e.g., month 1 -- how do I search the forum to find the forum posts I need to review. I tried the search forum area but I'm not sure of the wording -- I keep getting "nothing found". Please help.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          I typed Month 7 in the SEARCH THE FORUM box. It brings up many Topics that start with Month. You could scroll through them to find the specific month you are looking for. You can also scroll through all the pages of Topics under the Homeward Bound BOM list, you may see other Topics that interest you.
          My blogs are posted by calendar so each month they are posted by date, usually around the start of each month or end of the previous month. https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2035 users online. 182 members and 1853 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X