Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 1 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=CLPrince;n890560]Just watched show 3001. I am preparing to print the patterns but need some clarification. I have the Print and Fuse lite but a laser printer. I do have a light box and not adverse to tracing. Could you write the instructions regarding how to print your pattern and light box trace your pieces to match? I played the section three times and my mind is not getting it. I love the bright colors and plan to use bright gelato ombre strips for the flowers on a black background. I will have a right side with the ombre. Very important that I figure this out at the start. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise - I have enjoyed listening to last year’s BOM and finally ready to sew along.[/QUOTE]

Connie, products with fusible are not to be used in a laser printer.

start by printing the 9 pages for the full size pattern on copy paper. Tape or glue all 9 pages together on the lines indicated to create the 18” square pattern (18.5” with seam allowances).

Count the number of each leaf/flower needed, mark that info on the Templates pages.

Simply trace those shapes on the PNPFL—remember they will be reversed unless you flip/reverse them OR trace on the fusible side. If you do that, BE SURE you test the pencil you use to trace on the fusible side to be sure it not bleed on your fabric.

There is a Video about preparing the patterns and my blog for Month 1 Part 1 discusses getting the pattern ready.

Lots of information available on how to get started. Enjoy!
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• Connie P. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Barbara, do you ever sleep??? When you say flip reverse - do you mean take the template pages and turn over before tracing on the matte side of the print/piece fuse lite? I am new to applique - so it is hard to wrap my head around on the flipping and reversing.

Barbara, I have not used the kit stabilizer before. Do you take it out before stitching like EPP? If not doesn’t it make the quilt top quite stiff??? Thank you!

Comment

[QUOTE=asherbanee;n890566]Barbara, I have not used the kit stabilizer before. Do you take it out before stitching like EPP? If not doesn’t it make the quilt top quite stiff??? Thank you![/QUOTE]

No, it stays fused in place. When the completed quilt is washed most of the fibers will dissolve.

Go to [url]www.quiltersselect.com[/url] to read all the instructions for the use and care of the product if the package instructions are not enough.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL

Comment

Hello Barbara, Is it possible to use raw edge applique?

Comment

[QUOTE=4318ado;n890570]Hello Barbara, Is it possible to use raw edge applique?

[/QUOTE]

Sure. Print & Piece Fuse Lite works great for that too.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

I do not see the 1” square to verify printing at 100% on any of the 15 pages from month 1, block one pattern pages. Can we place a square on one of the 15 pages, so we do not have print all 15 again. I am in full STOP mode until this is responded too.
            A journey of a thousand quilts, begins with a single stitch…

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              Appliqué patterns rarely have a scale box. We do not change a designer’s pattern. To tell the pattern is the correct size tape or glue the full size pattern as indicated on the lines and measure it. This month the instructions say the block is 18” square (18.5” with seam allowances).
              This was asked earlier in the topic.

I'd like to make the stems for the berries 1/8 as called for in the pattern, I think the variety in stem size adds interest. I have all the Clover bias makers, but not the 1/8 size. I've searched the internet high and low today and cannot locate an 1/8 inch bias maker.

What are some suggestions for how to make the bias tape? I'm not sure I can iron it over on each side.
            Minneapolis, Minnesota

Comment

• LorraineAH commented
              Editing a comment
              I used the metal bias bars to make 1/8 and 1/4 inch stems.

• Bonnie G. commented
              Editing a comment
              Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Stems include a 1/8" bias bar - that is what I am using. They work really well in conjunction with the zipper foot or #10 foot (Bernina) on your machine. The 1/8" is a bit tricky because it is so small. For that size, I cut my fabric at 3/4" in stead of the 5/8" recommended in the directions and trimmed it down once stitched. Hope this helps.

• Beth B. commented
              Editing a comment
              I just shared a post on how I use the bias bars then trim off the seam allowance to remove bulk. I like the metal bars. I make the bias up to the pressing step, then wait to trim the seam allowance until I’m going to stitch it down onto the block so that the strip is more stable for storing it.

[QUOTE=Cosmos284;n890578]I'd like to make the stems for the berries 1/8 as called for in the pattern, I think the variety in stem size adds interest. I have all the Clover bias makers, but not the 1/8 size. I've searched the internet high and low today and cannot locate an 1/8 inch bias maker.

What are some suggestions for how to make the bias tape? I'm not sure I can iron it over on each side. [/QUOTE]

Watch the Master Class on Appliqué Part 1 in which Karen K Buckley shows how to make very narrow stems with her product Perfect Stems.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

• Sandra Woods. commented
              Editing a comment
              I have used Yoko Saito's method and made tiny stems pretty easily. She has a Youtube video that shows you how. It's my favorite method as it doesn't require you to buy extra tools - just needle and thread!

Skimmed over posted comments. I just wanted to add my comments. Today is ONLY day 2 and I have been enjoying this first block so much, sewing while watching some Football. So pleased with process and current status.

1. I have viewed and enjoyed all the posted information by Barbara including her blog.Great information and also watched suggested shows on appliqué.

2. I love to hand piece so I am doing Irene’s needle turn method. I have never used a light box, I have ordered one, but can see to do enough this block.

3. I attempted to do the starch and press but feel it is too putsy for me..might try on another month again. I do like marking on right side of block, using combination of pencil, chalk and washable markers.

4. First few appliqué’s might be a bit rough, but I think with continued practice they will improve.

5. Stems I do like Barbara’s method (stems) but found myself using glue to secure fold prior to glue basting to block. I do have bias strips, glue, perfect circles and light box on order. Will try those out when I get them.

6. This is not a race for me. I plan to work on it at a relaxing pace and enjoy the process.

I think this is a wonderful project to try out all different techniques. I don’t do much machine appliqué so plan on doing it on a later block.

I enjoy viewing the many shared comments from my fellow quilters.
            I think we all will have marvelous quilts come December!
            Happy Quilting!

Linda H
            Happy Quilting 

Comment

[QUOTE=lholzhu;n890581]Skimmed over posted comments. I just wanted to add my comments. Today is ONLY day 2 and I have been enjoying this first block so much, sewing while watching some Football. So pleased with process and current status.

1. I have viewed and enjoyed all the posted information by Barbara including her blog.Great information and also watched suggested shows on appliqué.

2. I love to hand piece so I am doing Irene’s needle turn method. I have never used a light box, I have ordered one, but can see to do enough this block.

3. I attempted to do the starch and press but feel it is too putsy for me..might try on another month again. I do like marking on right side of block, using combination of pencil, chalk and washable markers.

4. First few appliqué’s might be a bit rough, but I think with continued practice they will improve.

5. Stems I do like Barbara’s method (stems) but found myself using glue to secure fold prior to glue basting to block. I do have bias strips, glue, perfect circles and light box on order. Will try those out when I get them.

6. This is not a race for me. I plan to work on it at a relaxing pace and enjoy the process.

I think this is a wonderful project to try out all different techniques. I don’t do much machine appliqué so plan on doing it on a later block.

I enjoy viewing the many shared comments from my fellow quilters.
              I think we all will have marvelous quilts come December!
              Happy Quilting!

[/QUOTE]

Beautiful start and thank you for the positive comments. This is a great project to learn with, whatever method you want to use, including several methods across the year.
              We should all expect to be more skilled next December than today, it is a learning process.
              I look forward to seeing how your garden grows.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

[QUOTE=Cosmos284;n890578]I'd like to make the stems for the berries 1/8 as called for in the pattern, I think the variety in stem size adds interest. I have all the Clover bias makers, but not the 1/8 size. I've searched the internet high and low today and cannot locate an 1/8 inch bias maker.

What are some suggestions for how to make the bias tape? I'm not sure I can iron it over on each side. [/QUOTE]

I'm going to try Yoko Saito's method, you stitch one side down with running stitch and then turn it over by hand. Here's a video on it: [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJ2K4Ynsiw[/URL] (You can also Google Yoko Saito vine appliqué).

She starts with a piece that's 1 cm wide, which is about 4/10 of an inch. I'm going to start with a half inch strip and see how that goes.

I'm definitely going to try a short piece on a scrap of waste fabric before diving in.

I actually think Kathy Doughty might have shown something similar (but not so tiny) on her TQS episode? I need to re-watch that.

Edit: I watched the Kathy D. segment (her bias stems start around the :49 minute mark). I think the way she does them would work well for skinnier strips.

Another option is to pick up some ultrasuede. It doesn't fray, and you can use it raw edge for tiny details. I have a little sample pack that I may break out, but I'm going to try needle turning the 1/8" stems and see if I can manage it.

For the stem with berries this month, I will actually probably do the main stem needle-turn along with a few branches, and embroider the rest with a floss that coordinates.
                Last edited by soniasimone; 01-02-2022, 11:18 PM.
                Hand piecer, big-stitch quilter, pattern tweaker 

Comment

[QUOTE=soniasimone;n890589]

I'm going to try Yoko Saito's method, you stitch one side down with running stitch and then turn it over by hand. Here's a video on it: [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJ2K4Ynsiw[/URL] (You can also Google Yoko Saito vine appliqué).

She starts with a piece that's 1 cm wide, which is about 4/10 of an inch. I'm going to start with a half inch strip and see how that goes.

I'm definitely going to try a short piece on a scrap of waste fabric before diving in.

I actually think Kathy Doughty might have shown something similar (but not so tiny) on her TQS episode? I need to re-watch that.

Edit: I watched the Kathy D. segment (her bias stems start around the :49 minute mark). I think the way she does them would work well for skinnier strips.

Another option is to pick up some ultrasuede. It doesn't fray, and you can use it raw edge for tiny details. I have a little sample pack that I may break out, but I'm going to try needle turning the 1/8" stems and see if I can manage it.

For the stem with berries this month, I will actually probably do the main stem needle-turn along with a few branches, and embroider the rest with a floss that coordinates.[/QUOTE]

Sonia and Cosmo, You might want to check out Suzanne Marshall's quilt show 203 Award Winning Applique. At 26:27 minutes
                  in she shows how she makes bias stems. She says you can make 1/8 to any size. It is different because She makes the 45 degree
                  cut on the fabric to get the bias, then folds over and presses while using the whole piece that was cut on the 45. She says it is a lot less fussy. HelenW

Comment

• soniasimone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just rewatched that Suzanne Marshall show, lots of good info there!

Cosmos, Show 203 Award Winning Appique featuring Suzanne Marshall would be a good one to watch. At 26 and 1/2 minutes she shows a way of making bias stems and she says it works for 1/8 inch. I have never seen or heard of the way she does it, using the 45 degree cut piece and doing the folds before cutting it to size. Loved that show. HelenW

Comment

• marilyn s. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love her way

[QUOTE=CLPrince;n890603]Thank you, Barbara, do you ever sleep??? When you say flip reverse - do you mean take the template pages and turn over before tracing on the matte side of the print/piece fuse lite? I am new to applique - so it is hard to wrap my head around on the flipping and reversing.[/QUOTE]

Connie P, That is what she means. Because when you put it on the back side of the fabric, the front side will look like the template
                  after is is cut out. Some people call is flip to reverse. Some people say do the mirror image. It means the same thing. HelenW

Comment

[QUOTE=CLPrince;n890603]Thank you, Barbara, do you ever sleep??? When you say flip reverse - do you mean take the template pages and turn over before tracing on the matte side of the print/piece fuse lite? I am new to applique - so it is hard to wrap my head around on the flipping and reversing.[/QUOTE]

In Show 3001 I show what happens when we print the patterns on Print&Piece Fuse Lite as the patterns are presented. The handle on a vase will be REVERSED from the pattern since the fusible is put on the back of the fabric. Watch the Show 3001 if you haven’t yet, a lot is explained.
                    Barbara Black
                    Huntsville AL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1270 users online. 253 members and 1017 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25246   Active Members: 1,500  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X