Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 1 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really disappointed that there is no 1 inch test square on the pattern. This pattern will be released over 12 months, and it is quite likely I will have either a new computer or a new printer during those 12 months. For consistency, it would be very helpful to make sure the blocks will end up the same size over the year. Also, I'm new to applique and this feels like an insurmountable barrier, I'm afraid to start because I don't know if will be all be wrong.
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Comment

• Katy commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve just watched the show about new 2022 BOM and following Alex’s advice have just checked the 1”square on the dogtooth pattern and it’s too small by 1/8th” each way. ( I’m printing on A4 paper)
      Also there’s no 1” square for the main pattern of 15 pages.
      I didn’t have a problem with my 1” squares when printing out for BOM2021.
      Do I have to stick it all the pages together to discover it’s the right size or can you give me the dimensions for the Block 1 on page 1?

new to The Quilt Show and BOM....downloaded pattern, what is page 1 for? Just a reference?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it is a cover sheet/reference.

[QUOTE=Cosmos284;n890511]I'm really disappointed that there is no 1 inch test square on the pattern. This pattern will be released over 12 months, and it is quite likely I will have either a new computer or a new printer during those 12 months. For consistency, it would be very helpful to make sure the blocks will end up the same size over the year. Also, I'm new to applique and this feels like an insurmountable barrier, I'm afraid to start because I don't know if will be all be wrong.[/QUOTE]

It is rare for appliqué downloads to have a scale box. You can very easily check your printed patterns for accuracy—tape the pages together as instructed to make a full size pattern and measure it. This first center block is 18” square finished.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

on the downloads number 1 and number 4, are they the same thing, dogtooth border?

Comment

[[email protected];n890516]on the downloads number 1 and number 4, are they the same thing, dogtooth border?[/QUOTE]

No, 1 is Irene’s Dogtooth border done by needle turn hand appliqué. 4 is the Alternative paper pieced Dogtooth border I designed for machine piecing.

If you have not watched Show 3001 yet, I recommend you watch it first. It explains a lot.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

[QUOTE=JudyFN;n890518]Barbara,

I was watching Alex's reveal show with the kit. Would it be possible to have the kit cover page as a pdf? It seemed like a full-size picture.

Thanks so much, Judith[/QUOTE]

you can get that image from the Shop. Take a screenshot and print that. This was mentioned earlier in this Topic by HelenW. You can also get a full size image from my December 26 blog.

Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

[[email protected];n890513]new to The Quilt Show and BOM....downloaded pattern, what is page 1 for? Just a reference?[/QUOTE]

You could use the reference page as a coloring sheet to audition color combinations. HelenW

Comment

[QUOTE=QuilTena;n890508]Helen, What method of Applique are you using that you would need stabilizer on the background fabric?[/QUOTE]

Tena, I am using raw edge fusible (steam a seam Lite) and doing 1.0 1.0 zig zag stitching by machine. If you look at my center
              block posted on Show your progress, I do a lot of machine stitching which can make the edges that meet the background fabric
              draw up a little and look wavy. Much like doing machine embroidery if you don't use a stabilizer. Way back I decided I really like
              the finished results better when I use a stabilizer. Back then,I used Solvy Easy Tear away Stabilizer. I found Pellon 906 sheer weight fusible does not change the hand of the fabric when left in. No time used to tear away. I can buy it at JoAnn's with
              a coupon and usually buy a 10 yard bolt. If you are doing hand turn edge or needle turn applique, your stitches are much farther apart than a 1.0 1.0 zig zag and you probably would not need stabilizer. I use it because it works for me, and I like the results.
              Barbara's sample quilt did not use stabilizer and it is great looking. HelenW

Comment

Is there a simple way to reverse the patterns so I could print them on the print and fuse sheets so the block will come out looking like the picture? I realized that things would be the opposite way if I just used them the way they come.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cosmos284;n890511]I'm really disappointed that there is no 1 inch test square on the pattern. This pattern will be released over 12 months, and it is quite likely I will have either a new computer or a new printer during those 12 months. For consistency, it would be very helpful to make sure the blocks will end up the same size over the year. Also, I'm new to applique and this feels like an insurmountable barrier, I'm afraid to start because I don't know if will be all be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Cosmos, Bet you are going to love learning applique. Do not fear not having the 1 inch square. The nice thing about applique
                  is that you don't have worry about accuracy that much. When you tape your master paper pattern together, just measure across
                  the center horizontally and then vertically. It should measure 18 inches finished and 18 1/2 when including seam allowances.
                  If it is close you have no problem, Just draw lines to show where the edges should be. I use Frixon pens to do that. If it is off more than lets say 1/2 inch I would do a custom resize % to change the size of the applique shapes so they are closer to exact size. Let me know
                  what your square measures. You can do this. Usually printers are a little smaller, not larger, from all I have seen on this website
                  with other BOM's like Color My World.One person said they just reset their printer to 103.5 %. For the dog tooth borders you do need
                  to be exact so it will fit the center block. HelenW
                  Last edited by Helen W.; 01-02-2022, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Katy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I’ve needed to enlarge my dogtooth print out to 105% on my printer to get 1” square to correct size. I’ve just stuck the block 1 pattern together to get the measurements and needed to enlarge by 106% to reach correct measurements. Hope this helps someone.
                    Last edited by Katy; 01-02-2022, 04:06 PM.

[QUOTE=galeanda;n890537]Is there a simple way to reverse the patterns so I could print them on the print and fuse sheets so the block will come out looking like the picture? I realized that things would be the opposite way if I just used them the way they come.
                  [/QUOTE]

Galaeanda, If you have vellum paper, you can see thru it. Print it regular on vellum, take that copy lay it with the back side (reverse)
                  facing the glass of the printer. Then print on the print and fuse sheets. Like the print and fuse, with the vellum only put one
                  page in at a time. Let the ink dry before you lay it wrong side down on the glass. You can get vellum at an office big box store, or much cheaper on Amazon. HelenW

Comment

Cutting and placement instructions? Is anyone else confused? This is my first TQS BOM. I am used to instructions where it says "Cut X number of pattern A". Also, there are no instructions as to which circle number (size) to place on flowers etc.. How are we supposed out print these out on fusible sheets that I purchased? It seems like an interesting pattern, but for me, they are missing a few steps, like # of shapes to cut, correct number of shapes arranged on a page to print to maximize fusible paper use. Any suggestions welcome as I am going to wait to start till I have a better handle on how to do this. Thanks.

Comment

• Joan H. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am with you Marian. I dove in (very late and recently) and made several mistakes. I am keep on keeping on even though I keep reviewing the videos. They don't seem to be in any kind of sequence. Seek and ye shall find - not really. Is there a way to know which sequence the videos should be watched instead of the hunt and peck way?

[QUOTE=passionforcolor;n890549]Cutting and placement instructions? Is anyone else confused? This is my first TQS BOM. I am used to instructions where it says "Cut X number of pattern A". Also, there are no instructions as to which circle number (size) to place on flowers etc.. How are we supposed out print these out on fusible sheets that I purchased? It seems like an interesting pattern, but for me, they are missing a few steps, like # of shapes to cut, correct number of shapes arranged on a page to print to maximize fusible paper use. Any suggestions welcome as I am going to wait to start till I have a better handle on how to do this. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The designer lives in Australia. Pattern instructions tend to be less detailed. It is assumed basic techniques are understood.

This is a great Skill-builder project. For the number of each shape needed in the block--Count Them. Write that info on the Templates pages. Use a ruler to Measure the circles to know what size each is--if using Karen K Buckley Perfect Circles select a size that is close to the pattern size.

Before printing Month 1 patterns on Print & Piece Fuse Lite--be sure you watch the Video about that process in Month 1 Videos, where I say NOT TO PRINT pages, 7,8 and 10.

Watch Show 3001 before doing anything--it is a complete overview of the project and explains a lot.

When you print out the 9 full size patterns on copy paper, match the lines up as it says to do and be sure your pattern is 18" square plus the seam allowance. Be sure you follow the directions for what size to cut the Background fabric--this month it is cut 20" to start.

There are 7 Videos for Month 1, the Show 3001, currently 2 detailed blog posts with a third that posts January 5, AND pages of written instructions, both Irene's General Instructions that pertain to the entire quilt and at least 2 pages of Instructions from Irene for each month. For those who want to do more by machine, there are currently 5 additional pages of Optional Alternative Instructions I have written with more to come later.
                    Last edited by Barbara B.; 01-02-2022, 04:01 PM.
                    Barbara Black
                    Huntsville AL

Comment

• LorraineAH commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Barbara can you tell me where the general instructions for month 1 are? With the Sue Garman pattern there were detailed instructions for each month from Sue. Am I missing them, i cam seem to find them.

[QUOTE=Ktmosedale;n890550]I’ve just watched the show about new 2022 BOM and following Alex’s advice have just checked the 1”square on the dogtooth pattern and it’s too small by 1/8th” each way. ( I’m printing on A4 paper)
                    Also there’s no 1” square for the main pattern of 15 pages.
                    I didn’t have a problem with my 1” squares when printing out for BOM2021.
                    Do I have to stick it all the pages together to discover it’s the right size or can you give me the dimensions for the Block 1 on page 1?[/QUOTE]

The instructions for Month 1 say the block is trimmed to 18.5" x18.5" including seam allowances when the applique is done.

There is no a 1" scale box on applique patterns.

When you print the 9 full size pages on copy pattern, glue or tape them together and verify the full size pattern is 18". It it's slightly too big or too small, it is easy to move the pages a bit to make the pattern 18"
                    Barbara Black
                    Huntsville AL

Comment

Just watched show 3001. I am preparing to print the patterns but need some clarification. I have the Print and Fuse lite but a laser printer. I do have a light box and not adverse to tracing. Could you write the instructions regarding how to print your pattern and light box trace your pieces to match? I played the section three times and my mind is not getting it. I love the bright colors and plan to use bright gelato ombre strips for the flowers on a black background. I will have a right side with the ombre. Very important that I figure this out at the start. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise - I have enjoyed listening to last year’s BOM and finally ready to sew along.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1102 users online. 183 members and 919 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X