Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

supreme slider

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lisa, thanks for your insights. I agree with you that anyone who chooses to piece/applique/quilt is part of this big family of quilters. Personally, I find modern quilts to be very appealing, and I welcome the influx of a younger group of quilters into the fold. Innovative art pushes the boundaries to places that some find uncomfortable, and that's OK. We all just need to be respectful of the effort and emotion that went into the creation of ANY quilt, even if it's not our cup of tea. I know this is a good reminder for ME before I head to Paducah next month. You never know when the maker of a quilt is within earshot!

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

Lisa, congratulations on your awards at Quiltcon. Beautiful quilts. And congrats on your pink hair and your reason for it. Happy days.

Comment

Pink hair - so what (although I am delighted for the reason behind it) Now I had better go & have a look at the blog....

In UK The leading teacher of embroidery at Goldsmiths College and one of the leaders of 'Modern Embroidery' from at least the 50's onwards was a lady called Constance Howard and she always had green hair. She was a HUGE inspiration to hundreds of students and is one of the major names of the British embroidery & textiles world for the 20th century. http://www.gold.ac.uk/constance-howard/constance/

An interesting side story was that a lady who was attending one of CH's lectures had to take her small son with her, and to avoid any loud embarassing comments about her hair colour, explained to her son that there would be a lady with green hair there. Well the time came, and her son asked 'Where is the lady with the green hair?' - it turned out that he was colour blind and nobody had realised until then.

Comment

LOL!! We could probably all learn a LOT from a color-blind child!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

ops: I'll try to keep my humble opinion to myself in future... or express it more clearly. :? Hooray
            for survivors every where !

Comment

Talk about a rabbit trail! I asked a simple question about a quilting aid called the Supreme Slider and now we are onto the topic of modern quilts, censorship, etc. LOL and Yikes!
              So here's my opinion on the aforementioned trails. 1. There is plenty of room for all kinds of quilts. 2. There is plenty of room for all kinds of quilters. 3. There are plenty of reasons not to judge someone based on their appearance. 4. I can appreciate individual aspects of a quilt even I don't like it as a whole. 5. I can appreciate your style of quilting even if I don't aim to emulate it. 5. If I don't like any part of your quilt, I do not have to look at it. 6. And finally, if I don't like a quilt and feel the need to express that, I can do it politely.

All that being said, I do have to add that when my girls were young, I frequently took them to quilt shows with me and I would not have appreciated having to answer questions about a quilt with words on it that I don't allow in my home. There's that fine line again between rights to free speech and not purposely being offensive. That will never be agreed upon. It is my personal choice to avoid certain language and actions.

Now about that Supreme Slider.......
              Still lovin' the Sew Slip II and I imagine the Supreme Slider would work just as well, it's just more expensive.

Comment

i for one am very happy about the turn this thread has taken as it caused me to sidetrack from my tasks at hand and go read Lisa's blog, find out more about the quilt and find completely couchy. definitely worth the time it took me - and i don't really care that i'll be at work till the security guard throws me out!

yes, i do agree that we should try to get the whole picture before we act - however sometimes we just don't feel we have the time - and as it in this case - the follow-up can turn into a very informative and lively discourse giving a whole bunch of us the opportunity to learn more.

congratulations Lisa!
                Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

8)

Comment

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Quilting is my comfort. I certainly wouldn't want my grandniece asking me why a quilt has bad words on it. Maybe I could tell her that our brains are like "supreme sliders", we can let offensive language slide right on through.

Comment

Now we are getting into a philosophical debate - and I hate philosophy :x 'Bad' word or just a word? I think it's just a word. I come from a nation of people who curse at the drop of a hat. And even if you don't have a hat to drop we can manage to drop an eff word into any sentence and sometimes insert it into a word itself like philo-effin'-sophical or anti-effin'- social. Personally, I think that the quilt is doing it's job when it makes people think and react to it, wasn't that the intention? Feckin' right!

Comment

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I do want to say that I don't believe in censorship, and I believe that that extends to what I'm able to say about a quilt. I personally don't think that I should have to say only kind things about a quilt that I see in a show. If something doesn't appeal to me, I should be able to turn to my friend and say so. There are some beautiful, incredibly made quilts out there that just don't appeal to me personally. I've also seen quilts in shows that, because of the workmanship, I've been surprised that it was included in the show. I have no hesitation in turning to my friend and commenting on that, either. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the degree of negative comments that we're talking about, but any time you display something in public you should realize that there will always be someone who doesn't find it appealing for some reason. When I show a quilt, if I'm hanging around the quilt at the show listening in on what others are saying, then I expect to hear good and bad. It may hurt my feelings, but that's the way it goes. After all, I'm eavesdropping on someone else's private conversation that just happens to be in a public place.

That said, I should also say that what I might say about a quilt when talking to a friend or companion is different that what I might say about a quilt online. Online, I'm not talking in private anymore and I try to be more careful about what I say. I still feel that I can say negative things, but I'm less likely to say something negative and more careful to remind people that it's an opinion and nothing more.

As for exhibits in shows, I want everything to be considered by the show organizers. While there are some genres that don't appeal to me, I try to look at everything in every show because I always find pieces that I like and I think I can learn and get ideas from everyone and everything.

I know it must sound like I'm a negative person, but I'm truly not. I really love quilts of all kinds and have a lot more positive comments than negative ones. I just don't want to feel like I can't honestly express my opinions to my friends as I'm viewing a show.

Nancy

Comment

Rita...like your creative spelling ! I must say I don't have occasion to write that word much ! I use it
                            prob'ly too much ! ops: However ...while I'd defend the right to use it....I personally find it neither graceful
                            or polite...and, tho' oft times to the point ! , there's usually a better way to say something. Shock value
                            seems to be very big in our world today....wonder what happens when the words no longer shock? :|
                            What I said....kick that hornets' nest...be prepared. Try not to complain !

Comment

I'm sorry this turned into a debate on the use of the "F" word. Though, not really. I think open discussion is fun!
                              However, I want to point out that no one takes issue with anyone disliking a quilt for any reason. It's to say that the quilt should never have been made that is the problem. And even still, THAT was not the problem.
                              The maker(s) of the quilt were told that they were horrible people, not fit to be mothers because of their usage of the word, etc. Completely off base. And THAT is why I wrote that blog.
                              <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thatcrazyquiltygirl.blogspot.com">http://thatcrazyquiltygirl.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Originally posted by lsipes
                                think open discussion is fun!
                                The maker(s) of the quilt were told that they were horrible people,
                                This sure didn't come through on the blog that I read!

Sometimes, our words may come back to bite us. I'm reminded that the first words my mother ever heard my son say were Sh** Sh** Sh**
                                at his ripe old age of 2.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2469 users online. 274 members and 2195 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,317  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X