Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat Aug thru Dec 2015 Info on first post

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pray everyone is okay, in all of the soaking rain in the east! The pictures we are getting on the news here are horrifying! I just can't imagine!

Heather, the PJ's will strut quite nicely on the runway! I didn't sign up for Quiltapalooza this year, but have had a really good time there the last two years. What I have noticed, is that adding a little swing and attitude to the runway, goes a long way towards a win/prize! Have fun!

Luann, your little flower quilt with the HST border is really nice! I do love the flowers!

Cathy, you did a really, really good job with the portrait! It's almost identical to the picture! I'm impressed!

Lotti......Wow! Cool animal pictures! You will make a wonderful wedding photographer! After a few drinks some wedding guests become like animals!

Comment

Hmmmmm....part of my last post didn't post.

Anyway, Margarita, I'm glad you are getting some quilting done on your Dear Jane! The fabric you selected makes it an awesome quilt! I hope your back/sciatic is getting better! Mine is not! It seems to get bad every year at this time! Hang in there!

Our guild's quilt show was a success! I was able to earn a little spending money for Houston, and my Thorougly Modern Mini won a blue ribbon! Also, my demo/lecture went really well, and I got a few compliments afterwards, so that was cool!

In three weeks I leave for Houston! Hip hip hooray!

Comment

Can we see what you've done so far Margarita. Glad you can hand quilt

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Luann, I hope you are safe in all the flooding! Is it near you? (not sure what part of SC you are....)

Cathy, that portrait quilt is absolutely stunning!!!! Wow!!!

Scoopie, (sorry, can't find/remember your first name, though I feel sure i used to know it!), thanks for the comments & tips on the PJs I will definitely "work the runway!" LOL! Should be loads of fun! I finished the pants, but hard to get a photo of them on me (no full length mirrors, so any photo I take is only waist up....) They turned out okay! They fit well, are comfy, and look good as long as you don't notice I had to use a gray thread on the royal blue pants, LOL! From "runway distance" they are fine

Also, I picked up my 2 little quilts from the County Fair --- I got a 2nd place and a 3rd place ribbon!! I was not expecting anything, at all, but was delighted to discover that! I did laugh a little at the comments, as the one which placed in the 3rd place category said "questionable design" (yet scored 4s on the bits about color and such) (then later said "odd use of color"); anyway, that one is one of my all time favorite quilt designs/quilts ever, and so the primary lesson learned here is "for the county fair, go with traditional....." LOL! (it's a Storm at Sea block design, but not in any way resembling a traditional Storm at Sea coloring, at all, so I think that didn't sit well with the judges).

However, I loved having comments and seeing my scores, and I think entering each year will help me push myself. Now I can work towards that instead of just randomly grabbing a couple of quilts I had on hand (well, the one really is my favorite, and hangs prominently at the top of my stairs). I've pinned the ribbons to my bulletin board in my sewing room

Scoopie, make sure you find our Houston post about meeting up at the festival! Or message me/email me (or several of us who will be there), etc. (and anyone else coming!)

Comment

Heather,
            I live just NW of Charleston. Over 20" of rain at our house, and we didn't get as much as some others!! Our house is high enough to not get flooding, but we don't have a basement anyway. Our crawl space has drain tiles and a sump pump that's earning it's keep!! All rivers, streams, etc are above flood stage, and many are being rescued from rooftops. Some lives have been lost, a very sad situation. I'm staying home, only will go out if truly NEED to! Thanks for asking, and please keep the 'workers' in your prayers, as they risk their lives to save others.
            On another note,
            Happy for you with your wins at the fair. When you are quilting, stay true to your heart, don't let not getting a ribbon ever influence how you choose your colors or design! Just when you think you would have the judge's criteria figured out, the fair commissioner will get new judges and you'll find that the new ones have different tastes. It's always more important to do your best rather than to sew 'for the ribbon'. Just wanted to encourage you to be you. You're the best at that!
            May God bless you with eternal ribbons,
            Luann

Comment

Congratulations, Heather! Remember to take all of the judge's comments as ideas or suggestions. Different judges will have different ideas about your use of color, etc. When making quilts for the fair, stick with making what appeals to you. If you're not that into traditional, then there's no point in making traditional quilts for the fair. What will do well will depend on who is judging and what other quilts are entered, so there's no formula for winning beyond making what you find appealing and doing your best workmanship. But if the quilt appeals to you, then you will enjoy the process more and appreciate the quilt for years to come.

Comment

Congratulations Heather fun to win a ribbon or two and be critiqued by quilt judges!

Barb

Comment

Heather..........Luann and Nancy nailed it! Fair judging is subjective. Our judges here change every two years. I love watching the judging and listening to their comments. One judge couldn't stand frilly or pink, so had a very difficult time judging a quilt that was both! Another judge was a longarmer, so was very critical of all quilts that she could lay her hand within an unquilted area. (Hands width with no quilting did not sit well with her!) Another judge loved blue. The blue ribbon in traditional class was.....blue! So, had it been another judge for you, you may have gotten two blue ribbons! So, congratulations! You did good! Always quilt from the heart!

I know that everyone meets up at the TQS booth everyday at 1:00, but I will miss Thursday, as I signed up for the luncheon that day. I usually drop by there first thing Wednesday night (5:30ish) to see a few friends then, and say hello to Alex, Ricky and Justin.

Luann, I'm so glad you are high and dry!

Dawn

Comment

Heather, congratulations on your ribbons - it is great seeing something you have made hanging in a show, isn't it.

Luann, glad to her that you are currently high & dry(ish).

Comment

I put this on the Row group, it should be here.
                      Today I finished The Princess

I'm getting things off that 'intention list' of mine. YEAH,

Comment

Cathy your portrait is beautiful. What a special memento.

LuAnn sending good thoughts to you with your rain. And, have fun on vacation! Did you tell us where you are going? Or maybe you didn't want us to know. hmy:

Heather, Yay! Ribbons are good whatever color they come in. It's so nice to be recognized by fellow quilters. I hope these wins encourage you to jump off the deep end and do more designing. And yes, always stay true to you and what you want. I used to tell my students, if you are quilting and are not having fun, go and clean some toilets. It will help change your perspective. ops:

Margarita, keep on quilting! I remember seeing your quilt at your home and being so impressed with it. Miss you...

So, are you ready for another Sybil tantrum? For those just catching up, Sybil is my Bernina 730 and she has an attitude. She was off having an affair with Mr. Fix It for 2 months this summer due to her smoking habit. Now she has ants. For the past few days when I am sewing, all of a sudden an ant will crawl out and try to get under the needle. Eww! No ants anywhere else in the house, just on Sybil.

While visiting our kids and grands in New Jersey last weekend my sweet dau-in-law mentioned how much she enjoyed and used a little zip bag I had made for her in 2011. I told her when we go to JoAnn's to pick out the girl's soccer trophy fabric (more on that later) she should pick out fat quarters for me to make her some more bags. She had fun and so did I! I finished them today. They are about 7 1/2" by 5". I so like to make things for people when I know they really want/like them.

My granddaughters get these little iron in soccer patches every week at practice. They asked if I would make a small quilt for them to press the patches onto. Will I?!! Took the 4 and 5 year old to JoAnn's and watched as they picked out their fabric. Such fun. The 5 year old wanted beads hanging off hers! I will work on these tomorrow and hope to get them out to them late this week.

On a personal note, my "baby" is 32 today and he and his wife are expecting Victorina Rose any day. Life is good..... and goes by too fast.

Take care everyone..... geneva
                        Geneva

Comment

She turned out beautiful, Luann!

What wonderful projects, Geneva! It really is fun to make things for people who appreciate them! I'm sorry that I laughed when you said Sybil now has ants. The poor girl has the strangest problems! I hope you can get them to find a new home.

Comment

Geneva, I want to see a closeup of the label in your little zip pouches. Sorry for such limited posts. Tired. Trying to catch up and get back in a routine. Reading everything on all the threads. Love all my quilting friends.

Comment

(((hugs))) to Lois. Perhaps a quiet cuppa tea? Or something stronger?
                              Geneva - they're great! Yes, I'd also like to see the label close-up.
                              Heather - Yahoo on the ribbons!! Did you already show us pics of those quilts that won, or do I just forget where they are?

Luann- prayers and take care.

Comment

Woohoo Luann - Princess looks great!! Hope you have a nice and dry vacation get-a-way too.

Geneva - Love the bags. Fun to its your sons birthday and that baby Victorina Rose due date is near.

Lois - Nice to see you.

Barb

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2182 users online. 281 members and 1901 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,301  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X