Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat Aug thru Dec 2015 Info on first post

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'm going to soooo enjoy getting away!! I have this crazy idea that I've just gotta finish my 'left overs' from August!! And I am,,,
    Here's Canberra Tree. The binding is cut, but I'm too tired to see straight, so sewing that on will happen tomorrow.

And a few close ups of some of the designs I used

When I get this done tomorrow, I will straighten my house, do my laundry, and pack.
    We plan to leave on Thursday about 5am. But we have to make sure the route is safe!! There are OVER 580 Roads closed in South Carolina due to unsafe conditions, bridges out, etc etc. we have an alternate route possible, and if we choose to take it we want to leave on Wednesday late afternoon due to the added travel hours. I'm anxious to see my Grandkids but I don't want to be caught in a bad situation that could be avoided. I'm even willing to postpone the trip if need be. I'm going to be heading to northern Illinois, northern Wisconsin, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's a rather packed 12-14 days. But at least I'm not going by myself this time.
    Oh,,, I've gotta pack something to keep my fingers busy when I'm not driving! Now what should it be? The roads are rough, one time I stabbed myself so hard with my embroidery needle that I thought I might need to go to the ER in Indianapolis! LOL
    I'll be back before you know I'm gone.
    Luann

Comment

Love that thread work AnnieLu is that called thread painting or I does it have to be a heavier threading to be called that?very pretty.

Comment

I'm on my way from Florida to Indiana tomorrow hope I don't get into to much rain or traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by "Quilterslife" post=133527
          I'm on my way from Florida to Indiana tomorrow hope I don't get into to much rain or traffic.
          Stay safe!

Comment

Geneva no more munching when sewing!! When I started a new post the first thing I did was take off all the letters from the keyboard and remove the last occupants breakfast lunch and snacks eugh...surprised that didn't have ants

I do feel for all the flooded people, keep safe. On journeys as well as at home.

Lovely work Luann did you quilt tree on longarm?

Heather well done a great achievement , we're all proud of you.

Lois xx

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Originally posted by "Quilterslife" post=133526
              Love that thread work AnnieLu is that called thread painting or I does it have to be a heavier threading to be called that?very pretty.
              I would call this thread painting, but I'm not a stickler for exact definitions or rules. There's also a term "thread sketching" that could be used for this, but in my mind I see that as more like going over the same line multiple times with variations in where the line goes (does that even make sense?) so that you get a line that looks more like you are sketching on paper. Whatever you call it, it sure is beautiful!

Comment

Geneva, I can't imagine why ants are in your sewing machine! That is one I have never heard before! Your little cases are ever so cute! It must have been quite a treat to shop with your grandkids, picking out fabric! They are special!

Luann, I would be a nervous wreck traveling in you area right now! I tend to overthink the "what ifs!" But, it sounds like you have taken precautions to avoid the worst roads, and have a plan if the rain and flooding get worse. Anyway, Princess looks like she has a front and center spot to hang and survey her kingdom! She turned out pretty cool! And nice and flat. Remember my jester's face for the Hoffman Challenge? She got folded in half, and now looks almost scary! So, I have more to learn about faces! Like quilting them more!!!

QuiltersLife....I'm so glad you finally found our Forum! And, welcome! I hope my directions for you were helpful. Oh, I love your profile page picture, snuggled up to your hubby! Very cute! I hope your trip is a good and safe one!

Every month our guild has what we call Sew Day. We sew quilts for the community...many different charities and also the chemo and dialysis clinics. Anyway, we get lots of donations of fabric and threads. And, a lot of it we cannot use, like polyester fabrics and rayon threads. Well, when I walked in to sew yesterday, I was offered a whole big bag of Medeira rayon thread, for machine embroidery. My gosh, there must be 30 spools, in a nice range of colors, and probably worth over $150. I was thrilled! Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Maybe I can embroider some blocks for a charity quilt. Like fishing gear or forest animals. We tend to be shy on guy quilts!

Dawn

Comment

thanks everyone, for the congrats on my ribbons I won't change my quilting style, don't worry, I was just poking fun at the realization that the judging at the County Fair is very clearly, obviously, a very subjective thing, less about workmanship (in this case) and more about the judge's sense of style/taste in quilts. I absolutely LOVE the quilt that got the 3rd place ribbon, and designed it completely; the one that got a 2nd place was a scrap challenge from EQ7, so they did the layout and then participants could color it any way they wanted (so the coloring is mine, the layout is not). I do like it, and I did do heavier quilting on it than the other one, but I by no means like it better than the one which scored lower.

However --- I promise not to let a judge's opinion change my opinion, or my sense of design/who I am as a quilter. I just found it funny.

I don't know if I did show these or not, so here they are with the ribbons. I may have posted them when I first did them......not sure. The red/blue/yellow is my favorite and hangs at the top of my stairs; the other one is a table topper for the game room though tends to be thrown on the floor as apparently board games don't sit well on top of it....I will probably end up hanging it on the wall somewhere instead.

Geneva, those little zipper bags are great, and your granddaughters are lucky to have you making quilts for their soccer patches! How very fun, for all of you!! Let us know when the baby gets born, too....did you already say how they liked her quilt, or do they not get it until she arrives?

Luann, do be careful traveling; such horrible flooding you guys have. And love the work on the tree!! Lots of pretty stuff there! and your Princess, too...very nice!

Comment

Heather, thanks for sharing the quilts! I have not seen them before, but am not on TQS all the time. Anyway, your design work on the storm at sea is so NOW! Reminds me of the AQS challenge quilts; Traditions With A Twist. And, I'm getting a better feeling now about the meaning behind our guild's next year's quilt show theme: "Oh The Possibilities! Traditions Re-imagined." I think your quilt is the perfect example of what the chairperson is expecting us to make!

And, your 2nd place quilt looks like the perfect table topper! Sorry it doesn't work for board games, though. Bummer! But, I'm sure you will find the perfect spot for it!

You have grown so much since you first posted on TQS with beginner questions! It is such a joy to see the progression of skill levels of a newbie! Which I don't think you are anymore. You are quickly becoming an intermediate quilter! Cool!

Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by "twiglet" post=133533
                      Lovely work Luann did you quilt tree on longarm?
                      xx
                      Wendy,
                      The tree 'roots' was on my sewing machine, as well as the tree and its background sky area. Some decorative stitches also. Then about half of the quilt got free motion on my longarm, and half got patterns from the Pro Stitch part of the longarm. I got tired along the way, and ran out of steam to keep thinking. That happens about 10 or 11 PM. ! !
                      I really wanted to do more on the 'roots' section, and I may do some hand embellishing in the future,,,,

I'm still going to get at a proper 'roots' piece for the CW. I haven't forgotten, just gotta 'cogatate' on it for a bit longer. Yep, I've got a new word that keeps popping into my mind. LOL

Comment

Quilter'slife, if you are going through Indianapolis to Carmel, there is a wonderful quilt store there. Quilt Quarters. I used to work there for Kaye England when we lived in Carmel in the late 80's-early 90's. My friend Terri Gunn owns it now. If you stop by, tell Terri I said "hi". They are a great bunch of people. And safe travels!

LuAnn, Princess is beautiful! Love the tree quilt too. All that texture. Safe travels for you too. Enjoy those grands!

Heather, love your quilts. They deserve the ribbons! And yes, my son and dau-in-law loved Victorina's quilt. I am about to start on Victorina's birth announcement wallhanging. I cross stitch one for each grand baby.

Lois, here's a huge hug for you. Grief is wearying. (Is that a word?) I know how much your Mom-in-law meant to you and your husband. Go easy and know we are all here for you when you are ready. :kiss:

The labels in the little bags I made were a gift from my son (Victorina's dad.) He bought me 200 of them! Good grief, I've got a lot of quilts to make. hmy: They are fun to put on the back of my quilted pieces. Makes me feel so official!

Enjoy your day,

Geneva

PS. I don't eat around Sybil. That's why it's so strange to have ants there. Of course, it is just like Sybil to be .....different. And Nancy, glad Sybil gave you a good laugh. "Laugh or go crazy!"
                        Geneva

Comment

Heather, Love your quilts - especially your Storm at Sea variation, Looks wonderful.

Nice pieces Luann, & Geneva, bet it was great fun shopping for fabrics with the little ones. Sybil certainly is original in her antics.
                          Geneva

Comment

Geneva,
                            In central Illinois we have started to see what my friend calls "crazy ants". They are supposedly an invasive species or at least one that has migrated here. They are attracted to electrical currents. Several outside AC units have been damaged by them - the are attracted to the capacitors (I think that is the word) and swarm over it often frying themselves in the process. When too many swarm the overload the capacitor and the unit stops working - this is usually when they are found and an exterminator is called in to spray. One of the lake clubs close to us lost AC last year because of those suckers and my friend was called in to fix it...he warned us to be on the lookout for them. Don't know how we're supposed to tell a "crazy ant" from a regular one though!

Heather,
                            Your quilts are lovely

Luann,
                            I'm convinced you never sleep! You seem to accomplish more in a week than I do in a whole year! I wish you safe travels

Louis,
                            I wish you solace. Take rest and know we are thinking of you.

Sorry to everyone else if I have missed commenting! It is unintentional!

- Jen

Comment

I know if I try to comment on all the posts I just read I will miss someone or something so I will just say--I laughed out loud about the ants (sounds like something that would happen to me) and that a lot of you seem to be heading my way--northern Indiana. Be safe friends--so far no flooding here though "they" say there could be some. I hope I can recognize the "crazy ants" before they get us. :P

Comment

Jen,
                                Actually, I sleep more now than when I was not producing so much. I must admit that I pretty much fall into bed exhausted. But at least I'm not laying there for an hour trying to go to sleep. And with ALL of my August intentions finished I can get packing for my trip.
                                I don't cook or clean!! That's how I manage so much time. My hubby loves to cook and he doesn't complain about dust bunnies unless they are big enough to name!! Now that I feel I've gotten ahead of the 'left over from August ' stuff, I'll probably do a good clean up before leaving for vacation. When we get back, my house is getting repair work done in the laundry room and guest bath. In November we want to address anything outside, but the DH is in charge of most of that. I hope to be back in 'my zone' by November 15th. We'll see how it goes.
                                Now, I'm going to get a pot of tea and watch some Craftsy classes. I did finish the binding on Canberra Tree today. And it's hanging on a curtain rod in the long arm room, next to some fantastic art pieces from my Grandkids.

Later,
                                Luann

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2194 users online. 280 members and 1914 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,301  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X