Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat - Join Anytime

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kathy,
    This is the first I have heard of Versatex Screen Printing Inks for Fabric.
    How bright are the colors compared to paints?
    Do you heat-set them?
    Do they change the hand of the fabric? Is it a little stiffer, like paint?

Judith

Comment

Versatex colors are quite bright, but can be diluted with water or an "extender" gel medium. Yes, the ink is heat set after drying. The teacher chose these inks because they don't stiffen the fabric the way some paints do; the fabric is still soft, except for the fern image which was more heavily layered, but it's still not too stiff. Perhaps after I heat set and wash it, it too will soften. Dharma Trading sells them online: http://www.dharmatrading.com/paints/versatex-printing-ink.html?lnav=paints.html

I bought the Starter Set of primary colors plus brown, black, and white from the teacher so I can play at home.

Kathy

Comment

LuAnn, Wait until you get over the fact that those fabrics turned out differently than you expected and you may see them differently. I agree with Judith (I think it was Judith) that they are beautiful and would make lovely back grounds for something very interesting.

Comment

Hi Susan, Janet's 2014 BOM is a joy to quilt :cheer: . I'm using superior Bottom Line in the bobbin for all the quilting, Aurifil 50/2 in the top for the crosshatching and Madeira 40 weight rayon (nice sheen) and bottom line in the top for the different coloured quilting motifs. I am following the Janet's original quilting by studying a link that Anne (Anne 1 ) provided of close up photos on the Forum BOM 2014 "Quilting the quilt". I have quilted the cross hatch grid at 1/2" but I think that it would be better at 1" but I didn't want to unpick what I had sewn so it's going to stay at 1/2". I haven't started the borders yet, Sharon (Sewengel) has finished her quilt and it's beautiful, so, when I reach the borders I'm sure I'll be asking her how she quilted hers.
          Best Wishes Pam

Comment

I must admit, I really do like the pastel ones. I think it took, looking at them in a picture to help me get a little distance. Wouldn't they make awesome cushion covers for my wicker couch? I don't have enough, but that would give me a reason to dye more cloth!!
            I think the problem was twofold. First was the fact that I just plain squeezed too much of the dye out. If you watch the show, you'll see why I thought I should. The second thing is that I did not use my Pfd dyers muslin from P&B Textiles. That's what I generally use. This time, since I was experimenting, I used an old sheet that I had washed and put into my tool box for a drop cloth if I needed one. It could actually be a poly-cotton blend, or have some sort of permanent press finish on it.
            I will try this again, using pretty much the same methods. Just squeezing less and using pfd cloth. I bet my results will be more along the lines of what I have done in the past.
            Now there's a project for tomorrow. Before the heat index goes over 95*F !
            Till then,
            Luann

Comment

Congratulations Geneva! - Love your doors quilt I remember seeing before.
              Rosemary - Glad to hear you'll be picking up a car over the weekend. Nice you're doing sewing project too.
              Luann - Interesting re your latest dyes. I really like your 'fire' work.
              Lorna - Nice to see you!
              Kathy - Fun to see your painted fabric!
              Barb :-)

Comment

Wow I'm so impressed with all the creativity, painting and printing.

Congratulations Geneva that's terrific

Pam it sounds like you've cracked it with the quilt.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Lots of great stuff going on in here. Love the pastels and all the pics make me want to try dying. I have a friend who does indigo and I've asked her the next time she does it, to let me know, so I can learn. I'll post a pic when I do it.

Geneva - congratulations on your win! It's a special quilt!

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Ditto, Terrie...about all the good stuff going on ! Thinking of Indigo...wonder what's up with Maureen????
                    Another forum friend who hasn't been here in a long time.... :dry:

Comment

Geneva, Forgot to say I love your "Doors".

But even more importantly, (sorry Geneva) has anyone heard from Ritzy. Am I crazy or has she gone MIA. I sent an email this morning and it's too soon to really expect an answer. Am I right? She hasn't been here in a while.

Comment

Lois,
                        On May 24 Ritzy asked about deconstructed screen printing, over on the fabric dyeing discussion. I responded and didn't hear any more from her. Then I posted a question to her early June, to see if she had made it to the other blog I told her about. I never heard back from her. Does anyone know her on a more personal level, than thru this site? Hopefully everything is fine and she's just busy having fun with family.
                        I will keep her in my prayers until we know,
                        Luann

Comment

Geneva, Forgot to say I love your "Doors".

But even more importantly, (sorry Geneva) has anyone heard from Ritzy. Am I crazy or has she gone MIA. I sent an email this morning and it's too soon to really expect an answer. Am I right? She hasn't been here in a while.

Comment

That's a very long time for Ritzy to be missing. I have her personal email address but I have no phone number. I wonder if Terrie has her number. I know when Terrie was sick Ritzy relayed news re Terrie after having spoken with her husband.

Comment

Ritzy is still kicking. Recieved an email response from her. She has been fighting a sinus infection. The last few weeks of school she was assigned to an extremely difficult class and came home from work absolutely drained. That takes the stuff out of a person when its day in and day out. She's been quilting. Working on quilts for the expected twin grandchildren.

And Marilyn, you are right, where's Maureen.

Comment

Maybe the UK gals have a line on her in bonnie Scotland...she may be vacationing abroad.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2175 users online. 217 members and 1958 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,317  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X