Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat - Join Anytime

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. I made it home, finished my notes for the day, fed the boys, and managed to sneak upstairs to take a picture of my WOP for you to see. This is actually a Judy Neimeyer pattern for those of you not familiar with it.

Here's an older picture I took a few months back to help me arrange the colors for the double wedding ring before I started adding the star points.

At this point I'm in the process of sewing the two arc halves together to make 1/4 of each "star". You get the rough idea of how the quilt will look when it's finally sewn together. The "missing pieces" are the ones I've already pinned together and have sitting ready to queue through my machine.

Off to manhandle the two boys into the bath tub before bed. Here's hoping I still have enough energy to sew a few pieces tonight before bed :unsure:

Comment

Wowsers!! This is gorgeous.
      Luann

Comment

Wow so effective, love the strong colours.

Love the wisteria too. Your plan will work Luann, but you may find it helps to stabilise the front first by stitching 1/8 " from edge and after joining you stitch again just next to the seam inside the seam allowance it'll go flatter when you turn and then use steam when you iron to get a good edge. I've done this when facing a quilt and it works well.

What's the hanging method you're using? It sounds different

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Luann, I'm feeling tired just reading about your day.
          I have gardening to do today but at least it is pleasantly cool so will get it done early.
          Then to the sewing room which I find relaxing even if I'm just pottering and not sewing.
          I love your Wisteria....did you paint it yourself?
          Terrie I would not put any borders it looks lovely just as it is.
          Jdeluka! sorry I don't know your name...your quilt is gorgeous lovely colours, it looks very complicated.
          Happy sewing.
          Anne

Comment

Terri, if I were going to put a border on that top I would use black fabric. A fast way to make it larger and tie everything together.

Luann, what a busy girl! I love your piece. It looks so happy!

Jdeluka, I have considered making that beautiful pattern. In fact, a friend ask me yesterday if I thought she could make that top. She saw it in a catalog as a throw size but would want it as a queen size for her bed. She is not a detail girl and likes to get things done fast. I know that is a go slow and pay attention to detail pattern. Studying your pics helped me understand how the points got into the piece.

I got a few more rows sewn together on my Tumbling block top. Slow and sure! I am a go slow and redo if not precise girl.

Comment

Terrie,
              I really like your hourglass quilt. I don't think you could have chosen anything better for a man's quilt.
              I think it will look great with no border. If you want a border, I would go with plain black.

Judith

Comment

Wow, Luann! So much accomplished this morning! You get an "A+" You have inspired me.

Your wisteria is beautiful. One thing I really like about it is the way you have used complimentary colors. I think that is a big part of what makes it so striking. Keep up the good work!

Judith

Comment

Jdeluka,
                  I was so excited to see your Judi Niemeyer Wedding Star pictures this morning! That is the same quilt I worked on yesterday. I am not as far along as you are. I want to make one for my daughter and one for myself. I thought I would make her's first, and then mine.
                  I have all the arcs sewn for her quilt.
                  I spent yesterday morning getting physical therapy for vertigo. They say the crystals in my ear have gotten into canals that they shouldn't. There are restrictions on what I can do right now physically. Have to keep my head vertical for now. I can move my eyes to look up and down but can't bend my neck for now. I got a little frustrated yesterday. I tried rotary cutting background strips for my daughter's quilt, but that didn't work too well. So I decided to sort the rest of the strips. Now I have enough strips sorted to make both of us a queen-sized quilt. That kept me busy and out of trouble for the evening.
                  I think I will prepare all the pieces for both quilts together now, and do both at the same time.

Judith

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words.

Artmomma - the pattern is very well written and easy to follow. You can't throw this quilt together in a weekend by any means, but since it's paper piecing it does go much faster than you would think. The persnickety part is the curves, so if you're willing to take your time and pin well they come out nicely. I'm anxious to see how well each quadrant actually goes together - a little worried my quarter inch seam allowance didn't stay as true as I wanted when sewing the star points to those arcs. The points didn't get chopped off, but the edges may no longer be perfectly square!

Judith - piecing the arcs was my favorite part so far (probably because that was where all my color was found). I was so excited to see how each strip set came out! I actually had 12 very different but related strip sets. My family thought I was crazy (especially with the oddball red set) when they saw all the different colors I pulled, but now they see where I was headed :-) I think that red is really what makes it pop! I think Ruth B McDowell said to hide a piece of fabric, and if you miss it when it's gone it was ment to be - regardless of how non-traditional it may be. Piecing the rest of the quilt has been fun too (and challenging as it's my first time with curves), but now I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece

Comment

Thank you everyone for your kind words.
                      Wendy, my plan was quite similar to what you suggested so I think I'm on the right path.
                      Anne, the wisteria portion was painted by a friend of mine in the UK. Originally on white background. I did a hand dye wash effect to it for having it fit better into my decor.
                      Judith, I think that Hazel chose colors that nature put together. I was fortunate to have rec'd the purple from another 'fabric swapping friend' that lives in Washington. And the golden flower border was in my stash of what I call 'oriental inspired'. It matches the branch perfectly.
                      I haven't decided if I will add the appliqué pieces for fallen leaves and branch extending into the border. Just undecided about that.

The split hanging sleeve I refer to is basically 2 sleeves, one on each side,, with an opening of a few inches in the middle. This allows you to enter it in a show where averything has to have a sleeve, but when you get it home, you can put a dowel or lathe strip through it and hang it from the center. also works for when you have a heavily embellished piece that may not want to hang level. You can adjust the 'center' placement so it will.
                      Luann

Comment

Jdeluka,
                        I hadn't heard that quote by Ruth B. McDowell. She is my all-time favorite quilt artist. She is brilliant. I think she was inducted into last years Quilter's Hall of Fame - or something like that. I have been wishing for a long time that TQS could get her as a guest.

I am happy that you can find a few minutes to sew even though you are so very busy with work and small children.

Judith

Comment

Judith, at first I thought oh wow what a lot of work. However, there is wisdom in doing the same type of task more than once. Our minds and hands learn and perfect together. It will certainly save waiting months and then trying to remember what worked!

Jduka, thank you for the explanation. I love Ruth McDowell. I have several of her books. She is in my top ten people I would love to take a class from. Color combos and their values are an important part of quilting. I believe in going with your gut feelings when picking fabric.

I have an hour to sew before hair appointment. Figure if my husband does not notice the floors I can ignore them for now!

Comment

It's done! Changed it just a tad. Used a square folded into a triangle for each corner on the back, AND made it into a pillow cover also. I just couldn't make up my mind as to where on my walls it would go, and I knew I have a bed that will welcome it. So, it's a twofer.

First here it is hanging from a drawer front

And then I stuffed it with a couple of fleece throws for the picture. I'm going to purchase a new bed pillow and make it to fit.

I'm glad this is done and I can enjoy looking at it in use, not up on the design wall.

Luann

Comment

Judith - it wasn't a quote...more of a paraphrase, but that was the thought that stuck with me after reading one of her books. I think it was "fabric journey". And thank you. I promised myself I would make time for myself each week - if only for an hour. Sometimes I have to pry myself away from the boys because I love being a mom, but my husband and my family are right when they tell me I can't forget to take care of myself too. My work has gotten me so trained to ignore my own needs - skipping meals, lack of sleep, long periods without a bathroom break - that it bleeds into my personal life too. Or perhaps that's just my basic nature :lol:

AnnieLu - your piece is beautiful. Excellent work!

Now, I have an hour to myself before everyone gets home from daycare/work...the bathrooms can wait! Off to the sewing machine! :woohoo:

Comment

Hi Anne (and everyone) we reached 19 degrees in Scotland it WAS wonderful, back to cool nights and cloudy days now. I have started FM quilting my BOM ABC quilt, copying Janet's quilting pattern. I marked and started quilting the crosshatching in the blocks at 1/2" but I think a 1" grid would have been better and given the quilt more drape. I prevaricated quilting this as I dreaded the thought basting it, my 2 daughters surprised me by glue basting it together and they did a grand job. Hope that you are keeping well.
                                Best Wishes Pam (in Scotland)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2282 users online. 238 members and 2044 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25587   Active Members: 1,297  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X