Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Special Effects with Color Class

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fiberthyme
    Maybe I'm not looking the the right place. Where are the block patterns? I really want to do all the homework as the doing is what will instill it in my brain. I don't have a computer quilt program and guess I'll use the blocks for a charity quilt anyway. Really like this course material so far. So informative and beyond the basics of color.
    Glad you are enjoying the lessons! And thanks to Rita and Lois for clarifying the location of the exercise pdfs. And as Rita pointed out, the exercises are all "mock blocks," strictly cut and paste. If you want to sew the King's Crown block, here are the cutting directions. Keep in mind that the pdf exercise block is 8 inches square, to make it easily fit on standard-size paper. I like to sew the blocks at 9 inches square. All seam allowances are 1/4 inch. (Margo, will you please check me on the following? You have an eagle eye!)

From the center fabric, cut:
    1 square, 5" x 5"

From the large triangle fabric, cut:
    1 square, 5 3/4" x 5 3/4". Cut the square twice diagonally to make 4 quarter-square triangles. There will be lots of bias edges, so be careful.

From the background fabric, cut:
    4 squares, each 3 1/8" x 3 1/8". Cut each square once diagonally to make a total of 8 background triangles.

From the corner fabric, cut:
    4 squares, each 2 3/4" x 2 3/4" to make 4 corner squares.

You can use the quick Flying Geese method for the large triangle and background triangle units, though it takes more fabric. Just google "Quick Flying Geese Units" to find a number of tutorials.

Hope that helps. I love making these blocks.

Comment

Thank You.

Comment

Christine thanks for the measurements as I would like to actually make some of the blocks too. Christmas has put me behind with my homework (I hope there won't be any detention? :lol: ) but I hope to catch up today.

Comment

I am really behind in this series. Just like Rita my excuse is Christmas. In fact, Santa put me on detention and I am still making Christmas Gifts. I did do some of the excercises in the very first lesson and made some table runners using different values for the stars. But now they have to be quilted and I'm not done yet. I am way, way behind in my homework.

Comment

Originally posted by colorbychristine
            (Margo, will you please check me on the following? You have an eagle eye!)
            Hold off on using these measurements....I'll get back to you!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Christine, those measurements did not work for me, and I found it easier to make an 8" block instead of 9".

Here is a link to a tutorial that shows three different ways to make flying geese units that measure 2" x 4" FINISHED SIZE that easily combine with a
              4-1/2" x 4-1/2" (CUT SIZE) center square and (four) 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" (CUT SIZE) corner squares to complete an eight inch FINISHED SIZE King's Crown block.

http://www.quilterscache.com/H/Howtomakegeese.html

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                Christine thanks for the measurements as I would like to actually make some of the blocks too. Christmas has put me behind with my homework (I hope there won't be any detention? :lol: ) but I hope to catch up today.
                No detention for you or Lois! Today is the day I really get back in gear. And I'm starting by picking up my sewing room, which was a catch-all room before Christmas.

About the blocks, Margo has given directions for making an 8-inch King's Crown block, so check out her post today. That would be easier to figure and cut than a 9-inch block.

Comment

I have been trying to post my homework for lesson 3 on the show and tell page but it just won't let me so I will have to post them here instead. I did 4 versions just changing the 'light' background and the centre 'medium' square. Here are the firs two and the next two will be in the following post.

Now that I see them here I think the problem was that the images were too big. ops:

Comment

And a different centre:

Comment

Rita, is it possible that you were not "logged in" on the web site? You must be logged in before you can post to the Show and Tell page.

Comment

No I was logged in Margo. Everything was going fine until I tried to upload the images and then it just wouldn't do it. I am pretty sure it is because the images are too big. I will have to get that sorted for next time.

Comment

Try this to resize your photos: http://www.resize.it/

Comment

I had a similar problem the other day, Rita. I ended up sending my picture to OneNote then saving the OneNote picture as a PNG and then loading it into the classroom show and tell. I'll look at Margo's instructions for resizing. Hope you get it sorted out.

Comment

Renata were you able to post a PNG file? I think you need to save the files as JPG.

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                                Renata were you able to post a PNG file? I think you need to save the files as JPG.
                                I successfully posted a PNG file, Margo. I cannot save any picture but a PNG in OneNote and that is where I saved it as a PNG from since V6 software won't allow me to save neither a PNG or a JPG. In any event, when you try to upload a picture into the show and tell, a box will come up after you've chosen your picture that says:

Image Guidelines:
                                Valid File Types: gif,jpg,jpeg,png
                                Animated images are OK.
                                Maximum Image file size for Upload: 8 MB.

So actually, there are quite a few options available to us. Now, that works for the show and tell. I don't know whether you can upload a PNG to the Forum.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2108 users online. 216 members and 1892 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X