Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Libby Lehman's Threadplay.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just took Libby's Threadplay class in Houston. Those scissors are made by Clover, but for some reason they don't sell them anywhere but Asia. She's tried to get them to sell them here, but they just don't seem to listen. So, maybe a trip to Japan is in order... Or maybe if they receive enough requests from everyone they'll bring them to England and the states.

Nancy

Comment

I took Libby's class in Houston and she said that you cannot purchase the scissors she used in the U.S. They are widely available in Japan, but the company refuses to make them available in the U.S. Libby has asked and asked for them to be made available here but so far -- no go. Maybe if we all write the company or locate a friend in Japan who would be willing to buy a pair for you. I got to try them out and they were very nice. I loved that blunt tip on one side.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
      <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Hey Nancy! It was such fun taking Libby's class together. It was wonderful meeting you.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
        <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

I don't know what brand Libby uses, but I was in a class with Karen Kay Buckley in Houston last week and REALLY like the scissors she uses. They have serrated blades that actually grip the fabric so that it doesn't slip out from between the blades. She sells a large pair (blue handles) that easily cut through several layers, and she sells two smaller pairs for applique work. The ones with the pink handles have curved blades and the ones with green handles have straight blades. All have large comfortable grips and are serrated. They all work great!

http://www.karenkaybuckley.com/store.php?cat=5

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I just checked page 20 of Libby's Threadplay book and these are Libby's words about applique scissors: "I prefer the applique scissors without the flange because I am left-handed. These scissors cut horizontally and are very sharp. Mundial and Gingher make them." If you have the book there is a photo including the 5 kinds of scissors she recommends using on p. 20. Hope this info helps.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Libby is a TQS member so you can send her a PM from her profile. She responded to me the day I wrote her an email to congratulate her on her quilt being chosen as the TQS Quilt of the Day so I know she checks those emails.

Comment

I've also been using Karen Kay Buckley's scissors and liking them. (Maybe those scissors are the secret to the Japanese quilter's success at the quilt shows and that's why we can't get them!!??) kidding of course.
                Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

There are two types of useful scissors for applique. The Karen Kay Buckley scissors are useful because they are serated so they grip the fabric and are easier to use when cutting out small pieces. The others are the duck-billed scissors which are nice for cutting the background from behind and applique (or from in front of the applique when using Libby's cut-away method). The Clover scissors that are only available in Japan are small duck-billed scissors (or probably more accurately blunt-nosed on the bottom blade since it looked like they didn't bulge out as much as a duck-billed scissors). You can certainly use Karen Kay Buckley's scissors for cutting out the background, but just have to be careful not to poke the sharp points through your applique.

Nancy

(JoJo - I loved meeting you and Shirley in Houston! I enjoyed my little Halloween candy pack once I got home and each piece was more wonderful than the last!)

Comment

I just rewatched this before it goes away on the 31st. It's just as much fun today as it was the first time. I may have to buy the DVD.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                    Betty Jo

Comment

I have it and I am glad I do. I also have Ricky's Grand Finale and even though it will be on the webcite for a while next year I am glad I have it. Every time I do a piped binding Ricky demonstrates right in my very own sewing room. Perhaps when I start finishing a bunch of UFO's I'll learn it well enough for it to stick, but I am not counting on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sewdreamy
                        I just rewatched this before it goes away on the 31st. It's just as much fun today as it was the first time. I may have to buy the DVD.
                        I saw it again last night and had the same feeling that I might have to buy it

living in Central Denmark
                        Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Only 4 days left to watch it. I think I will have to watch it again too. I really enjoyed it first time. Thanks for the reminder BJ.

Comment

Great class. I need to watch it again and give her techniques a try. What fun!!

Comment

I have some great news for anyone who wants to buy Libby's favorite applique scissors she used in her Threadplay class in Houston and on her DVD. A couple of months ago I sent a request to Luana Rubin at http://www.equilter.com to find out if they carried Libby's favorite Clover Applique 115 scissors. They just notified me that they have her scissors in stock.

Their description is: #CLSC1493 Clover 4 1/2" Mini Patchwork Scissors -- A scissor with sharp tips suitable for cutting and trimming fabrics. Use for chenille quilting, applique work, doll making and more. Durable stainless steel blades enable cutting through multiple layers of fabric. A Libby Lehman favorite.

Hope this helps some of you.

Happy quilting,
                              Shirley

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2151 users online. 284 members and 1867 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X