Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marilyn--I loved the very wide eyed "holey, moley!" This whole thread has made me giggle~
    Go for it, Nancy!!! I want to see it done!!

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Nancy, are you going to use the black/white-white/black fabrics too? I love, love, love this lay out.

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

I've just found my fabrics more or less. Or at least figured a path and made a start. I'm going all off white/neutrals and greens. I find I have a lot of nice greens in my stash. I cut out the first strips and will put together the nine patches tomorrow. I also have this wonderful green based fabric with birds of all sorts, so I might use them somehow on or in or in place of some of the blocks. Fun, isn't it?

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
        Betty Jo

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
          Nancy, are you going to use the black/white-white/black fabrics too? I love, love, love this lay out.
          Hi Ritzy - Yes, I'll be using the black/white and white/black novelty fabrics that I love to collect. I got all of my 9-patch blocks sewn (I'm just doing 8 since it looks like that's all that's used in the final quilt) and 2 of them have the white and black fabrics around the edges. I should be able to get the rest done tomorrow and Sat, so I'll post a picture then. I really love how the first 2 look! And when they go together they'll have that great secondary pattern!

Nancy

Comment

Betty Jo - Your colors sound wonderful. Can't wait to see the blocks!

Nancy

Comment

Nancy all those bias edges, but it's an amazing design. I'm going to love seeing it evolve.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Originally posted by rehak
                So I've thought about it a bit and played a little in EQ7 and this is what I'm thinking of doing for the center of the sampler quilt:
                Nancy
                Wow! That is so beautiful.
                I usually try to think everything out, draw endlessly before I put rotary cutter to fabric and often overthink so with this project I am really trying hard not to and just leave the design alone and go with my first fabric choice - no regrets (I hope). I will have to go for gold in "sticking to my resolutions" and not get sidetracked
                Marianne

Comment

I decided to spend the evening watching the Olympics and I came back to this thread to find that you all have been at it back and forth with gusto! Hope there have been no more coffee incidents since last night…

Nancy, love what you did in EQ7 and turning the squares on point gives added dimension to your quilt.

Rosemary, you are so right! This is just a practice quilt and I'll spend my time on the sewing skills, not the pretty planning… and it's okay to change one's mind about fabrics.

In that regard, I absolutely love what Lois said about fabrics sitting on the shelf are a waste--will definitely adopt that new attitude! Thank you, Lois!

Rita, I'm sure you'll surprise us with a delightful sampler and love your new Avatar--you're still in Paris even though you're not, aren't you?

BJ, love your idea of greens and neutrals and birds--makes me think of a tropical island vacation (of course, my cat would probably be thinking lunch!).

Another house guest arriving for the weekend so you may not see much of me... nor will my sewing room... but I'll log on every chance I get! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by twiglet
                    Nancy all those bias edges, but it's an amazing design. I'm going to love seeing it evolve.
                    Hi Wendy - The bias edges aren't a problem because I'm paper piecing that part. I'm printing out paper foundations for the frame, piecing the center block, lining it up with the center of the foundation and then paper piecing the frame. The paper won't be removed until the blocks are sewn together, so no problems with the bias edges. A lot easier than it looks!!

Nancy

Comment

Renata, Thanks for joining me in the development of my new attitude.
                      "I absolutely love what Lois said about fabrics sitting on the shelf are a waste."
                      I may need help with this, but when I really think about it I honestly believe its true. And believe me, it is certainly counter to my frugal PA Deutch upbringing.

Nancy, I love your explanation of how that complicated design is accomplished. " A lot easier than it looks!!" Isn't that part of what feeds our addiction we learn easy/smart ways to accomplish something that looks more difficult than it really is.

Thanks to everyone joining in the project and conversation. It is so much fun.

Comment

Lois, the light REALLY went on :idea: in my head about fabric on the shelf and waste and I think it can for you too, even with your frugal upbring (sounds like our Catholic guilt). I have looked at my small stash of very much loved pieces of fabric and thought about not cutting into a piece for fear that I might find something I really want to use it for and would not have enough or because it looks so good with other things I have :roll: . When you made your statement about fabric on the shelf is fabric wasted, two things came immediately to mind:
                        (1) if fabric were on a shelf in a store and not moving, it costs money to keep that fabric on the shelf so if it's not moving, you're actually losing money and if it does not move, you can't put something newer on the shelf that will attract customers; so, if I don't use my fabric, I'm really wasting my money and it really does not make sense to keep buying; and (2) life is short, I've made a commitment to quilting, it's time to get on with it or move on... and it is with that renewed spirit, that I'm cutting into my fabric!

Comment

Renata, you are right I am still in Paris. I have made the photo of myself and DH my desktop too - hoping to keep the smile on my face as long as possible.

With regard to cutting into precious fabric...last year my DH brought me back piles of fabrics from San Diego and for the longest time I was too afraid to cut into any of them in case I messed up. But once I started to use them I lost the fear of that first cut and I am really enjoying the variety of different fabrics and what I can do with them. This project is a perfect one to work on as it is like doing a controlled explosion: there is only so much damage you can cause if you don't get it right. This is what my blocks look like:

Looking forward to next week's block.

Comment

OK, This is a little off topic and a bit of a warning. I've made my first block and would have made more but I've had a storm of calls from "Heather" or "Michael" from "Account Services" which is a scam organization designed to steal your identity. They use a variety of ploys--card member services, car insurance, refinancing your mortgage. They call me at least an average of every day, sometimes two or three times a day. I first just hung up on them, and then I tried staying on the line and tell them to stop calling me, but that only seemed to increase the calls. They use a false phone number and name so there is no way to report them. I've looked it up on the Internet and it's been going on for years. The FCC apparently needs a true number and name to do anything (though I kinda think they might do more if they realized how much this is happening). Yesterday, they even called me on my cell phone and I had just drifted off to sleep for the first nap I've taken in weeks!!! :evil: I'm already registered on the "do not call" list and have begun to wonder if that's what list they are using. I've decided not to answer my phone for a few days except the numbers I know. So if you get one of these calls, don't give them any information. They are a total scam. Now that I've blown off a little steam and warned my friends out there in TQS land...back to quilting.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                            Betty Jo

Comment

BJ, Thanks for the warning. You can blow off steam here anytime. I never answer my landline anymore unless its a number I know. I figure if they don't want to leave a message I just didn't want to talk to them anyway. Hope they soon leave you alone.

Comment

I'm just like you, Lois. I don't answer my phone unless I recognize the number. I do get some callers that call multiple times a day without leaving messages. When that happens, I'll answer and tell them to put me on their no-call list before they can say anything beyond hello. If they aren't willing to leave a message, then they already know that I'm not interested in what they have to say so I don't feel bad about being rude to them. After all, they've already been rude to me by ringing a bell in my house over and over again. So far, this has worked for me. I never, ever give out personal information over the phone to someone who has called me.

Nancy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1997 users online. 149 members and 1848 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X