Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Marianne -

Welcome to the site!

I'm like Lorchen on the starching issue. I will use it where I really have to, but avoid it in general because I'm really into the tactile experience throughout the process. I've found that I get unhappy while piecing if my fabrics are stiff or feel like they have any chemicals in them, and then I don't enjoy the process as much. Since I don't starch my fabrics for piecing, I notice this most if I happen to be working with fabric that hasn't been prewashed for some reason. My accuracy definitely suffers, but I'm happy with my results and that's what's important to me. So startching, like most other things in quilting, has many answers and they are all right! I love it when there are so many right answers!

I'm planning on working on this quilt and will start later this week. I hope you'll join us because I think we have a fun group working on this together! We will all probably deviate from the instructions in one way or another, but we'll all create something beautiful in the end! And have a great time doing it!!

Nancy

Comment

I've just watch part one, but Laura refers to a pdf that lists how many strip sets to cut, I've had a good look but cannnot find it, only the introductory pfd, which lists the basic requirements but not the cutting instructions. Will check out with Guru Bob....

Comment

Just logged in to take a look at the forum. Big wave to everybody - Thank you all for the welcome! Looking forward to working with you
        I guess the starch is a personal thing then. I will try both with and without and see how I go. I am generally not keen on chemicals but this project is all about keeping an open mind for me so I will go shopping and see what I can get in the way of starch.
        Off to watch the first video and iron my fabric. I have too much choice in the way of fabric so haven't made up my mind yet :roll:
        Marianne

Comment

I am sure the PDF will appear soon - as if by magic. In the meantime I see from the first PDF that there are 9 nine-patch blocks. 5 with the dark in the four corners and 4 with the light in the four corners. Happy quilting everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Marianne-is-sewing
            Just logged in to take a look at the forum. Big wave to everybody - Thank you all for the welcome! Looking forward to working with you
            I guess the starch is a personal thing then. I will try both with and without and see how I go. I am generally not keen on chemicals but this project is all about keeping an open mind for me so I will go shopping and see what I can get in the way of starch.
            Off to watch the first video and iron my fabric. I have too much choice in the way of fabric so haven't made up my mind yet :roll:
            Marianne
            Starch is not so much a chemical - in that we are all composed of chemicals, as a different way of using a food stuff - corn starch to you (corn flour to me in UK) I know there is references to making up your own - possibly a Diane Gaudinsky (sp?) recipe floating around the forum, if you were to put 'starch recipes' into the search engine it will help, or hopefully Margo will come to our aid.

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
              I've just watch part one, but Laura refers to a pdf that lists how many strip sets to cut, I've had a good look but cannnot find it, only the introductory pfd, which lists the basic requirements but not the cutting instructions. Will check out with Guru Bob....
              I think we will need five dark strips and four light strips.

One nine-patch block requires two little blocks with the dark fabric on the outside. So, nine nine-patch blocks will require us to cut 18 of them. Since each is 2.5", multiply 18x2.5 and you get 45". If a strip of fabric (without selvage) is about 40", one set of strips is not enough--you will have to double it (and you'll have a lot left over). So, for this part of the block (the outside part of the block), you will require four dark strips and two light strips. If you can get 45" worth of cuts out of one strip, then you will only need two dark strips and one light strip.

The nine-patch block also requires one little block with a dark center and two lights. Each little block has to be cut 2.5", mut since you only need one for the middle part, multiply 9x2..5 and you get 22.5". In this case you will only need one length, or two strips of light and one strip of dark fabric.

Assuming fabric strips are less than 45" in length, you will need a total of five dark strips and four strips of light colored fabric.

Yes, it would be easier if the .pdf file materialized... :? and beware... I could be wrong with my math...

Comment

This is a starch recipe I was given at a recent seminar. Add 1 tbsp corn starch to 1 cup water. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave another minute on high. Add 1 cup cold water. Use in spray bottle. For heavier starch add more corn starch. I haven't tried this yet as I seldom use starch but I do agree that starch is good for some piecing methods.

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                  Originally posted by Renata
                  Oh Rosemary, don't make us wait... post your fabrics starched and pressed! Do you have any new ones besides the reds?
                  At 11.40 at night the lighting is abysmal for decent photos of shades of fabric. I have one more, a yellow, that has a very slight tinge of red, but it is also a bit of a deeper hue of yellow, because I decided to just use up the last of the packet, and it was a bit stronger than the rest of the mixes I had done.

Now I have to try and find what I did with the new roll of egyption cotton that goes with what I have been dyeing so I have some white for the background :roll: I snuck it into a safe place...... :lol:

the second from the left is the extra one that I did, not really any orange about it, but it is a stronger yellow and it fits in the general scheme of things. (sorry the picture appears dark, it seemed fine on the camera. :roll: )

Comment

How gorgeous, Rosemary! I know the photos don't render as you'd like them to but all I see is a fantastic sampler coming up. Are you going to combine those colors into a border? Do you have a border fabric already? Your effort was well worth it... I wish I could hop over and learn from you! :P

Comment

No I don't have a border fabric, these were just ad hoc dyeing to use up left overs from the Hestia costume, and the border will depend on either what is left or maybe a shopping trip or something. I definitely haven't got that far in planning yet :wink:

Comment

Watched the first class now. More questions: where is the resource library that Laura Nownes talks about?
                        I have done a search but nothing came up although I did find other things that I had no idea was on the site ops:
                        I aso got some spray starch. If I don't like the smell I will try my hand at the homemade variety if I find it helps me to be more accurate.
                        What a gorgeous set of hand dyed fabrics - very summery. Must make my own choice now.
                        Marianne

Comment

Hi Marianne, the resource library is in classrooms, then Laura Nownes, then view lessons. The resources are the ones about fabric, thread, sewing machines, etc. Just general info for us. Welcome to the forum. Hope you have alot of fun, and learn alot. The forum can be addictive, so enjoy.

Comment

Cathy,
                            Thank you - now I get it! It is the short, sharp videos listed before the class today. Wow, how silly of me :shock: I have actually already watched them once but will watch them again tonight. Thanks again.
                            I am sure I will have lots of fun here. Must try to get some sewing done in between running around the whole web-site like a headless chicken
                            Marianne

Comment

Hi Marianne, and welcome to the forum. I am not doing this exercise but I am watching the videos to see if you can teach this old dog a few new tricks. I do not starch my fabrics but I have be sewing for a very long time. I think it would be very advantageous to a beginner just because it is easier to cut a stiff fabric than one that is soft. Also, I think that the starch keeps the fabric from slipping when you are sewing two pieces together. Hope you have fun with this and learn a lot. These girls are a lot of fun.

Comment

Hello Ritzy!
                                I am looking forward to trying the starch if it can help not only when you piece but also for cutting because I always get the "ditch" or "valley" if I fold fabric like Laura Nownes shows and that she warns against. I tried cutting like this the first time after I had watched Sharon Peterson cut long strips right across the fabric by folding but gave up after realising I would have to cut several inches away in the middle anyway. I am getting excited especially now I have chosen my fabrics (mostly fat quarters so I would not have to cut long strips :lol: )
                                Marianne

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1943 users online. 158 members and 1785 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25584   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X