Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Jeanie Sumrall-Ajero - Printing On Fabric Lessons

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooooh - that would be fun Mary Kay! (And if you can't find checkered flag fabric, maybe you can print it.

Comment

Hey Jeanie, It's me again. I was wondering about the fusible fleece. Could I use regular batting and just spray baste it to the top instead?

Comment

Hi Mary Kay, It seems like it would be OK, but the batting will be "exposed" on the inside of the pillow - unless you add another piece of fabric to make a full sandwich. I'm just not sure how the batting will wash if it's not fully sandwiched. Of course, if you never plan to wash the pillow case, then I don't think it will matter.

Comment

If you are looking for checkered flag fabric, try contacting a quilt shop in Indianapolis, Indiana. I was born five miles from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and I can tell you there is usually flag fabric around town some where. Betty Ann now in Florida

Comment

Cool Betty Ann, very good info.

Comment

Okay, I made my first attempt (I posted this over in the classroom section as well. I'm pretty happy as I had to learn about EQ7 and using remote access to my PC from MAC. I do have another question though. This only works with an inkjet printer, not a laser printer, correct?

Comment

Mary Kay, I LOVE your print-outs!

I have only ever printed on fabric with an inkjet printer and do not feel comfortable recommending that you try it with a laser printer. All of the pretreated fabric sheets are made for inkjet printers only. That said, I just did a quick google search and it appears that some people have printed on fabric with a laser printer and claim that you don't need to treat the fabric. HOWEVER, I personally would NOT try this since laser printers are much more expensive than inkjet printers and if the fabric gets stuck in the printer and/or the backing (aka freezer paper or full-sheet label) gets stuck on the drum, you will have a VERY expensive repair bill! If you have an old laser printer lying around that you don't mind trashing, then go for it (and let us know what happens! ) Otherwise, I recommend you stick with inkjet printers.

Comment

Oh, Mary Kay! I'm laughing out loud!!! Too cute!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

EditorAnne asked the following question in the comments for the Printing on Fabric - Printing 2 lesson:

Even though I always peel my backing off the fabric along the straight grain, the way you do, I find that the minute I place the fabric in the water, the piece distorts diagonally. I'm careful not to tug or wring it, but it happens anyway. It doesn't seem to matter what type of printer fabric I use. (I do prefer EQ Printables, though, like you.) I can't get the bias distortion out, not even by pressing it "persuasively" (as Ricky would say) with steam afterwards. Does this ever happen to you? What could be causing it? How can I prevent it?
                    I thought I'd answer Anne's question here since I'm sure many of you will run into this.

The skewing happens when the grain of the fabric is not square on the backing paper. Take a good look at your fabric sheet before you print on it. If you see the grain of the fabric running at an angle to the edges of the backing, you will find that the fabric skews as soon as it hits the water in the rinse step. The worse the angle, the more skewing will occur. For example, if you follow one horizontal thread near the top of the sheet of fabric and find that on the left side it's 1/4" from the top of the sheet but on the right side it's 1/2" from the top, then the fabric will skew 1/4" once it hits the water. I've found that I can work pretty easily with a 1/4" skew, but when it gets to be 1/2", then it's a bit more challenging (and frustrating)!

I have to say, I've had much better luck with EQ Printables than other fabric in this regard, but I've trained myself to always "analyze" my fabric sheets before printing. If I find a fabric sheet that looks bad, I place it in a separate stack for "test prints" and don't use it in my final project.

I have found that I can still work with slightly distorted images by pressing/steaming the heck out of it and hoping that the other fabric I sew it together with will keep it in shape. As a last resort, I "quilt it out".

The only way I know of to completely prevent the skewing is to treat your own fabric with Bubble Jet Set, because then you have complete control over how the fabric is placed on the freezer paper. I usually tear the fabric along the grain a little larger than sheet size to ensure that the fabric is square to the grain, treat the fabric with BJS, then iron onto freezer paper (also a little larger than needed) and finally trim to size. That said, I'm usually doing things at the last minute and don't have time for that whole process (and I've had good luck with the EQ Printables.)

Hope this helps. And if you have any other questions regarding this, feel free to ask!

Comment

you all have just left me in the dust. I got PSE5 got to-]creating a catalog]- and NO WHERE can I find PSE on any drive. I have loaded it twice and still can't find it in documents or anywhere. Do I need some special software for photos? Let me clarify. The lessons show up in my documents but I can't pull up Photoshop Elements Welcome screen. Can anyone help me? please

Comment

games, You should have an icon on your desktop for Photoshop Elements. Double-click that icon and it should bring up the Photoshop Elements welcome screen. You will then probably have some choices - choose "editor" or "edit" (I can't remember exactly what it's called in PSE5. If you let me know what choices you have, I can let you know which one to choose.)

If you don't have an icon on your desktop, please let me know what operating system you are running (Windows XP, Vista or 7?)

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "the lessons show up in my documents". What lessons are you referring to? Photoshop Elements lessons? My printing on fabric lessons? Something else?

Comment

Jeanie Thanks for answering so soon. There is NO icon on my desktop. There is nothing under "programs" accessories or any where else.
                          I am using Windows XP and the lessons that do show under documents are PSE lessons. When I loaded the CD my screen stayed blank.[kinda like my mind right now :?

Comment

games, I just sent you a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by jeaniesa
                              The skewing happens when the grain of the fabric is not square on the backing paper. Take a good look at your fabric sheet before you print on it. If you see the grain of the fabric running at an angle to the edges of the backing, you will find that the fabric skews as soon as it hits the water in the rinse step. The worse the angle, the more skewing will occur. For example, if you follow one horizontal thread near the top of the sheet of fabric and find that on the left side it's 1/4" from the top of the sheet but on the right side it's 1/2" from the top, then the fabric will skew 1/4" once it hits the water. I've found that I can work pretty easily with a 1/4" skew, but when it gets to be 1/2", then it's a bit more challenging (and frustrating)!

I have to say, I've had much better luck with EQ Printables than other fabric in this regard, but I've trained myself to always "analyze" my fabric sheets before printing. If I find a fabric sheet that looks bad, I place it in a separate stack for "test prints" and don't use it in my final project.

I have found that I can still work with slightly distorted images by pressing/steaming the heck out of it and hoping that the other fabric I sew it together with will keep it in shape. As a last resort, I "quilt it out".
                              Oh! Of course! It makes perfect sense when you explain it. Thanks, Jeanie!

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Help, the backing isn't coming of the fabric/paper. It was like taking off a price tag and some of it got stuck behind. Also, do you have a trick for separating the paper from the fabric at the corner (especially if you don't have long fingernails). Thanks.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1999 users online. 162 members and 1837 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X