Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

To oil or not to oil...... that is the question! :)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B580 gives a message when need to oil.
    some times i put a drop of oil - when i feel/ear the sounds is different.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

So does the B830, but my dealer said: don't wait for that or you will be a very unhappy sewer and I must say: My Rosie is a very thirsty lady

living in Central Denmark
      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Same orders given for my 820...every bobbin refill....

Comment

My Viking says in the manual not to oil--it is all enclosed.
          My Kenmore I oil, but I will say I bought my daughter a machine and had to take it immediately to the "dr" because it wouldn't work--they said it sat too long without being used and the oil had done something so it didn't work--run those machines ladies and gents.
          The Bernina I use lets you know when to oil. You have to take out the bobbin and put a drop of oil there. I think Rob Appell needs to get on here and show us on some different machines, exactly where we need to oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith
            I do need a little vacuum to supplement my wisking with a brush every bobbin change.
            I got a set of those. They don't work worth a hoot. Pipe cleaners do for me.

Comment

I have a couple of Bernina's and I oil and brush out the inside after every bobbin. (But if I'm switching bobbin threads a lot and am only doing a little sewing on each, I just oil every once in a while.) I use a make-up brush to brush out the lint. Since I've never used make-up, I had to get my sister to help me find where to get one of those! But now that I have it, it works really well for me.

Nancy

Comment

Bobbin race? What's a 'bobbin race'??...... Mmmmhhh..... let's see..... right! I get it....... Yes, that's the thingy that I oil quite regularly (after I have helped Keith's Mum to chase him around the kitchen table :P )

From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

OK...my bad! I looked in the manual for my newest machine and was surprised that I couldn't find any photos of where to oil the machine! :shock:

I found this in the manual for my 20+ year old Bernina, and the part is called the HOOK RACE, not the bobbin race. ops:

So...the bobbin goes into the bobbin case; the bobbin case goes into the hook; the hook goes into the hook race; oil goes at the bottom of the HOOK RACE.
                  (I labeled with the red text and arrows)

Hope that makes it more clear for machines with this type of bobbin.

If you click on the photo twice you can see the detail better.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks Margo--that is where I have been putting the oil.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I must have been trained by Keith's Mum. I just oil everything that's metal and looks like it might move. Thanks for the picture, Margo. This technical stuff is almost as bad a free motion quilting.

Comment

I oil and brush out machines pretty regularly. I use a large gauge (sp?) syringe needle to do the oiling. Very cheap at the pharmacy. I have one machine that the manual said not to oil. It started clunking. No place around here to get it serviced so I took a deep breath and started taking out screws. Discovery: I shouldn't be takin' stuff apart. :? I got it back together and out of a gozillion screws only had one left over. It still sews, but still clunks. Gotta find someplace to have it checked!

Comment

Haven't ever oiled mine....my dealer didn't mention yes or no, and oil wasn't one of the add-ons he suggested, so maybe mine is no-oil machine (it is a Janome). I do use the little brush and de-fluff the bobbin area and the area where the thread thingy is (ummm, you know, the bit that raises and lowers as the needle raises and lowers???); my machine is open on the side up there, so I defluff that area often. Not every bobbin change, but before & after I start quilting each new thing, or more often as needed.

I'm going to ask the dealer though when I'm there in August. I do change needles whenever I switch from piecing to quilting and back to piecing. You guys taught me that, and it works well

Also figured out -- I had better make a cover for my machine, ASAP, or quit setting it on the floor where dog hair can get into it. Eek!!!! Had a major "de-fluff" session yesterday......think it's all clear now. Oops.

Comment

Heather, does yours have a little wick thingy underneath the bobbin case? the first time I saw that I thought it was lint but it is an actual wick meant to be an oil reservoir. That's where I put the drop of oil. If it doesn't have the wick, then I don't know if it should be oiled.

My Janome dealer is very good and his tech is also very good. If you tell me which Janome you have, I can ask him if and where to oil, and let you know!

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by kathyst2
                              Heather, does yours have a little wick thingy underneath the bobbin case? the first time I saw that I thought it was lint but it is an actual wick meant to be an oil reservoir. That's where I put the drop of oil. If it doesn't have the wick, then I don't know if it should be oiled.

My Janome dealer is very good and his tech is also very good. If you tell me which Janome you have, I can ask him if and where to oil, and let you know!

Kathy
                              thanks, Kathy!

I have never seen any kind of wick down there; mine has a top/drop-in bobbin, not a front/side load bobbin, if that matters. It's the Janome Magnolia (7318 I think). My dealer when I bought it didn't mention anything, so I think it's not needed....I'll be there in the next month or so, though, and can ask.

Comment

Okay, for me I have a Husky qulter. Never oil it because it gets taken care of when I send her in to the spa about once a year. I also have an ABM Innova long arm. I don't have to oil her ever since i got the pro tension disc. Now the only oil I use is when I change the hopping foot. before I had to add oil to the pad with the tension disc every so often. I absolutely love my Roxy and she loves me.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2022 users online. 175 members and 1847 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X