Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

To oil or not to oil...... that is the question! :)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To oil or not to oil...... that is the question! :)

Oiling your sewing machine (How often? When? Where? How much?) was mentioned in a discussion about threads, and the suggestion was made that it should have it's own topic, rather than be part of an existing one where things have gone somwhat off topic.

So, here you are! Your very own 'Oily Topic'!

From what I hear, the way this is handled by quilters varies a lot. It not only depends on personal opinion and advice received in the past, but also on the type of machine you have and the way the bobbin case sits in the machine.

I have two Berninas (used almost daily), a Frister & Rossman Cub4 (used most weekends), a Husqvarna Interlude (rarely used), and an antique Singer handcrank (perfect working order, very rarely used because power failures are very rare around here). I regularly oil all these machines, and also de-fluff them. I don't have a fixed rule when and how often to do it. My machines talk to me. I can hear when they start to sound a little different and then it's time for some tender loving care. How often that happens depends to some extent on the type of thread used, and I use all kinds.

So, what do you all do?
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

My Berninas (yes...plural! ops: ) get de-fluffed and a single drop of oil on the bobbin race with every bobbin change.

My serger (also a Bernina) gets vacuumed and oiled every time I use it.

My Handi-Quilter is just like the Berninas and gets thoroughly de-fluffed and a single drop of oil on the bobbin race with every bobbin change.

Needles get changed when I start having thread issues or need a different size because I switch to a different size of thread. OOPS...wrong topic! :roll:

My sister has a new Janome and both the dealer and the manual says NO OIL! :shock:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love it! Great way to start a stressful day, with a good laugh! ops: off topic also ops:

Comment

Margo - are you "needling" me? :lol:

Comment

:lol:

Comment

When I bought my first computerized machine (New Home) back in the early '80s I'm positive it said no oiling needed. It also had an automatic tension which never needed adjusting . . . off topic again!

Comment

I was bought up with Singer machines which all needed oiling. My mum had worked in a Singer shop in her youth, so I did as she has taught me and oiled and cleaned regularly. My Elna quilters dream says very clearly in the manual, 'DO NOT OIL', so I never have. Machines are like a lot of domestic appliances, if there is something major wrong with them, their sound tell me.

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

I have a Janome 6600, my dealer told me to oil the wick that you can see in the bobbin compartment. Just a drop of oil, I do it every other bobbin change. I wonder why they would put a wick there if we weren't supposed to oil it? I can tell when mine needs some oil by the change in the sound when I am sewing. I also sometimes put a little oil on the needle shaft.

My "other" machine, a Pfaff, that my mom uses, I oil the in the bobbin compartment when I hear it getting noisy.

Kathy

Comment

I have 2 berninas and will oil them between large projects even though manuals said NOt to oil them - both came with a little bottle - go figure.
                  Much like many if you, I hear and feel my machines and oil, defluff, etc. when the purring gets wonky.
                  Jeanine

Comment

Jeanine, that is fascinating! I've been around Berninas for 30 years and never heard of one that didn't need oil. Which ones do you have?

Margo...LOL

Comment

The Elna SU I had for 30+ years got oiled and cleaned when it started sounding funny. The Bernina I've had for the last three years gets a drop of oil and cleaned with most every bobbin change.

Lorna

Comment

I am the same my Bernina 440QE is oiled and cleaned regular BUT this week when I did this I whacked the light with the other end of the little brush I use and cracked it, and its not one of those bulbs its a square one, I have not been to the shop to price a new one yet..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :x :x :x

Taree NSW - Australia
                        My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Bobbin race - that's what I put the little drop of oil on every three or four bobbin changes or whenever my machine sounds like it's had quite a night. Bobbin race, bobbin race, bobbin race. I can never remember what that's called. Thanks Margo! Now I'm thinking of all these ways to slip that into my casual daily conversation...

So a ball point needle, a straight stitch throat place, and a bobbin race go into a bar and the throat plate says to the bartender, "You got something to fill this dent?" The ball point needle (she wasn't always a ball point you know) she blushes and starts to faint; the bobbin race spins around to catch her... No never mind, this story isn't going anywhere...

I do need a little vacuum to supplement my wisking with a brush every bobbin change.

All my life I've made the erroneous assumption that all machines needed oil... ops: Silly me! I need to be more careful.
                          keithdommer.com

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
                            keithdommer.com

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2129 users online. 311 members and 1818 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X