Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Viking bobbin winding

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viking bobbin winding

I took my machine in for servicing this past week since the bobbin winder was 1) no longer winding evenly and 2) was winding too full. I also had a problem when a bobbin was too full, I had to sew with the bobbin cover off so I wouldn't get rats nest.

I found out that there is no adjustment for the bobbin winding evenly - I just have to watch it and move the thread up and down with my finger as it winds.

I also found out how to adjust the full-ness of the bobbin.

My big issue was with the 'too full' bobbin. Apparently the plastic bobbins used by Viking warp when the bobbin is filled too tightly or too full. Who knew!

I was told that when I wind my bobbin, I need to 1) use the footpedal on the lowest speed rather than the start/stop switch and 2) not wind the bobbin using the thread through the needle since that mucks up with the bobbin tension. This last bit really ticked me off. This is one of the bonuses I liked when I was looking at purchasing the machine... its DESIGNED to be wound that way... and now they're telling me I shouldn't *use* it that way?!?!

Frustrating!!

thanks for the "heads up" about this issue--my daughter has a Husqvarna Viking machine and I'll tell her about this. There's not much else that makes me crazy as when I'm having trouble with my sewing machine--I really sympathize with you!!! It would really tick me off, too, if I bought a machine thinking certain features were a sure thing and then being told they didn't work. Judy in Torrance

Comment

I've been wondering about my bobbin winder too. Every machine I ever used stopped winding when it is full but my Viking just seems to go on and on. At first I didn't pay attention and had to unwind a bunch because it wouldn't fit in the machine. Is this how they all are or just my problem?

Karen
      Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

I find mine doing the same thing too. I have learned to keep an eye on it so that it doesn't get too full

Carla

Comment

I have had a Husqvarna Viking for over 5 years now and the bobbin winder is fine (through the needle aswell).
          From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by vmckenna
            I have a Viking and I wind bobbins through the needle. Just make sure that you have a metal presser foot on and the thread goes under the foot. I also slow the speed down - it works great. As for the bobbin not stopping - you can turn the bobbin level knob (at least that's what I call it) to adjust the fullness of the bobbin. I don't remember which direction so you will need to experiment with this.
            A bobbin level knob?? Where would I find such a marvelous thing? I didn't know I had one. Thanks, Karen

Comment

Originally posted by vmckenna
              I have a Viking and I wind bobbins through the needle. Just make sure that you have a metal presser foot on and the thread goes under the foot. I also slow the speed down - it works great. As for the bobbin not stopping - you can turn the bobbin level knob (at least that's what I call it) to adjust the fullness of the bobbin. I don't remember which direction so you will need to experiment with this.
              I'll try putting the thread under the foot. My speed is as slow as it will go and the shop said that was still too fast. I'm still winding that way until I figure it out. Worse case, it ruins more bobbins.

I have the Platinum 770 and the bobbin level knob is a white thing right next to the bobbin winder on the top. Its basically a sensor that stops the winding once the thread has hit it, so turning it to the right (toward the bobbin) reduces the fullness. I found that this was one of my problems. I reduced the fullness and I think thats helping.

Comment

I have a Viking Sapphire 830 & here's what I do. I pop up the extra spool holder. I take my top thread spool off & just set it in the bed of the machine, without unthreading the machine. I then put a spool on the extra spool holder, & thread it through that top piece & over to the bobbin. Then I wind it that way. My thread that is threaded through the machine doesn't get tangled. Now, I do watch that the bobbin winds evenly, I noticed it may not otherwise, which, I thought was weird too. I also stop it when it's full enough. Can't even remember if it stops on it's own, or not. Only have had mine a little over a year, but I get tired of unthreading a machine, to thread a bobbin, &, I don't like threading it through the needle, so this works for me. You do need more than one spool of the thread you are using, with doing it this way, but I usually have that. I also do this on the Janome I have & it works on it too... No extra spool holder on it, but I just set the one spool in the bed too, & put the other spool on to load the bobbin. It helps to load several bobbins at a time too. Try this & see if it works for you!...

Comment

Originally posted by kimber
                  I took my machine in for servicing this past week since the bobbin winder was 1) no longer winding evenly and 2) was winding too full. I also had a problem when a bobbin was too full, I had to sew with the bobbin cover off so I wouldn't get rats nest.

I found out that there is no adjustment for the bobbin winding evenly - I just have to watch it and move the thread up and down with my finger as it winds.

I also found out how to adjust the full-ness of the bobbin.

My big issue was with the 'too full' bobbin. Apparently the plastic bobbins used by Viking warp when the bobbin is filled too tightly or too full. Who knew!

I was told that when I wind my bobbin, I need to 1) use the footpedal on the lowest speed rather than the start/stop switch and 2) not wind the bobbin using the thread through the needle since that mucks up with the bobbin tension. This last bit really ticked me off. This is one of the bonuses I liked when I was looking at purchasing the machine... its DESIGNED to be wound that way... and now they're telling me I shouldn't *use* it that way?!?!

Frustrating!!
                  I'm researching the Sapphire 875. I've also been advised to check out the Janome 6600 and the Brother machines.
                  I'm selling my BabyLock Quest. If anyone's interested, email me privately. No problems, we just haven't bonded. I love Vikings and I should have stuck with them.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                  Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I have had Vikings since the late '90s. I wind both ways. When winding, I use the foot pedal(but if I used the Start button, I would reduce the speed to 1). The important part is that the thread goes thru the metal guide that keeps the thread winding evenly as well as the tensioner. When I have a problem with a particular wound bobbin, I rewind it onto an empty bobbin.
                    Never ever wind onto a partially filled bobbin.
                    Yes, you can turn the fill sensor to the right if it overfills. My old Viking had to have a special screw driver. My Viking tech is the greatest. That's why I'm a Viking girl. Service, service, service.

Coast of South Carolina USA
                    Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

I wind mine, like the third photo in your diagram shows. Really don't like doing it the other way, seems old, & out of kelter to me, as no other machine I have ever had, said to do it that way. I don't have a problem winding bobbins on my 830 either, so not sure what the real problem is. I also pay attention when I am winding bobbins, so I know what is going on & when it's full. I really like my machine & have no complaints about it. It is a bit nosier than my Janome, but that's okay with me too. I use mine now, mainly on my quilt frame & love it! Still perfecting the tension a tad, but that will come with practice too, I'm sure...

Coast of South Carolina USA
                      Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

I have a Topaz 30 and have problems with the bobbin winder via needle. I use the old way and slow down have no issues

But i am.aware if you have any problems with a HV bobbin you need to throw it away. They warp and crack easily.

I live my HV

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2102 users online. 253 members and 1849 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X