Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

BINDING QUESTIONS

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been showing everyone that will hold still long enough, about using the glue, and the basting method. I'm going to start using the glue instead of pins when sewing seams and blocks together to make all the joins come out perfectly. I test-drove it and it just works a treat.

Pat in Rockport, TX, who has her pen-pal from Australia and her DH here visiting, we're having such fun!

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

By total accident I found UHU "Young Creativ'" white glue here in Switzerland which seems to be available in the EU, Australia, and Mexico. It says "Made in P.R.C." which I believe to be the Peoples' Republic of China. The package says "solvent free and washable." It also says "Try on a small sample if in doubt." The insturctions come in 8 languages including English 8) . So to my international friends, we may have an equivalent for Elmer's. I will be trying it out since it will be a lot less messy than the stick form I found.

Comment

Lorchen

I re read your post and noted you do not do mitered corners... what kind of corners do you use? I am just wondering cause mitered corners are about the only way I ever did corners as that was the only way I ever learned.

I will sometimes use a cup ( make a rounded corner) and curve my corners but usually when circles are reflected in the quilt itself and then it is a design element.

Comment

Has anyone tested the ELMERS WASHABLE GLUE METHOD?

Does it wash out without residue or staining?

How well does it hold?

Can you travel with the binding once it is glued in place for stitching down? ( I sometime sew in the car when we are traveling and I am just wondering if this would be a good method to use.)

I want to try this method but not on my current quilt... When I do my baby quilts I tend to experiment a lot.

Comment

I just traveled by air from MO to CA with a quilt that was yet to be bound. I glued down the binding with Elmer's Washable Glue before I left because I didn't want to be questioned about the binding clips, and it worked great. I did my binding after reaching my destination over a period of a few days. I haven't washed it yet but should be fine according to Sharon Schamber's site? Hope so.

Comment

how long after you use the glue, heat set it, can you safely stitch your binding? I watched her (Sharon's) video and she didn't say how long to wait. She sure makes it look very easy! Thanks! Sandi in FL

Comment

You can start stitching as soon as it's cool enough to pick up safely.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

I admit that I was doubtful at first about the Elmer's Washable School glue, but I am thrilled with how well it works for both applique and binding! (Be sure to get the WASHABLE kind!) Sharon suggests soaking it in water with a little Synthrapol for several hours or even overnight to get all the glue dissolved, but I really doubt that it takes that long. It only takes a few tiny drops to hold things in place, and I just use the tip of a (0.5) Bic mechanical pencil in order to control the flow of the glue. Sharon has taken her video showing how to do that off of YouTube, and now she sells special tips to use on the glue bottles so that you just get a tiny bead of glue.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks for the help. Its amazing how easy it is and how much control you have doing it her way. I guess I will really find out once I get all the way around. I have the roxanne washable and the elmers washable. The roxanne has a small tip and hopefully I can refill that. If not, will look get into my mech pencils and borrow a tip from one of them. Sandi in FL

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2101 users online. 247 members and 1854 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X