Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Books on Tape (or Ipod or MP3 Player)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JoJo, what kind of books do you like to read? I love mysteries and have found hundreds, maybe thousands through the library. My county has a huge library system, I am very lucky. Also, I've found used books on tape and cd on Amazon and Half.com. I have a cassette/cd player, actually have a cassette player in the kitchen, the bedroom and my sewing room. And I have great headphones that cancel the noise of my sewing machine. I listen while I'm cooking, folding laundry, getting dressed. I finish quite a few books each month.

It took me a few books on tape before I trained myself to actually pay attention to the reader while I was doing something else. Some readers are much better than others.

Let us know what type books you prefer and we can suggest some authors.

JoAnne in southern California

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

Thanks. I'd love to get some recommendations.

I like mysteries and horror (Dean Koontz fan here). Actually, I like a lot of different books. I read all of the quilt series novels and the knitting mystery ones too.

I bought my first audio book at Costco, but chose badly. It was supposed to be scary and the reader is one of the guys that acts in the TV series Heros. It started out okay, but quickly became down right silly and I'm having a hard time continuing to listen to it because it seems like it is geared more for children than adults.

On Monday, I plan to call the local library and find out if they have tapes to rent.

JoJo

Originally posted by Rorimer
      JoJo, what kind of books do you like to read? I love mysteries and have found hundreds, maybe thousands through the library. My county has a huge library system, I am very lucky. Also, I've found used books on tape and cd on Amazon and Half.com. I have a cassette/cd player, actually have a cassette player in the kitchen, the bedroom and my sewing room. And I have great headphones that cancel the noise of my sewing machine. I listen while I'm cooking, folding laundry, getting dressed. I finish quite a few books each month.

It took me a few books on tape before I trained myself to actually pay attention to the reader while I was doing something else. Some readers are much better than others.

Let us know what type books you prefer and we can suggest some authors.

JoAnne in southern California

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
      <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Hi Jo Jo, I read all the Dean Koontz books too. What do you think of the last few? I've been really disappointed and one of them I returned to the library without even finishing. Maybe it is just me. What do you think?

Karen
        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Karen, what was the name of the one you returned unread? I'm horrible about reading in order and in fact, just purchased one yesterday that I somehow missed reading -- called False Memory. It originally came out in '99. Many of my favorite authors have written some pretty awful books lately -- of course, that's just my opinion, but if I can't get "into and absorbed" in the book in the first two chapters, I put it aside.

I happened across an author that I'd never heard of before and if you like vampire (scrary) and love stories, try these (check for the correct reading order as I am just typing in the names). Also, the last two books (which I haven't purchased from this author), I've heard are terrible so maybe the editors just start pushing them to write too quickly and the story line gets lost.

Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
          Book Names: Dance with the Devil, Fantasy Lover, Sins of the Night, Unleash the Night, Seize the Night, Night Play, and Kiss of the Night.

More recommendations of possible unknowns:

The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt (I loved this book and would limit my reading to just a few pages a day because I didn't want it to end!) :lol:

Here's a series that I really enjoyed. Author: David Eddings Book Names: The Sapphire Rose, The Ruby Knight, and The Diamond Throne.

I also love the FBI series written by Catherine Coulter. I can't remember all of the names but it's the series where one of the books is titled "Blow Out." I love the characters and the story line of all of the books in this series. NOTE: I didn't know this was a series and read the first book out of order. It helps you get to know the characters better if you start from the first one.

And last but not least is Debbie Macomber's knitting mystery series. I'm currently reading "Twenty Wishes."

I hope I was able to turn you on to a few good ones that you will enjoy.

JoJo

JoJo

Originally posted by kfstitcher
          Hi Jo Jo, I read all the Dean Koontz books too. What do you think of the last few? I've been really disappointed and one of them I returned to the library without even finishing. Maybe it is just me. What do you think?

Karen

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
          <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

As I write I am downloading my first two books on CD to my iPod. I am excited to see if I will like the author and the reading. "thann thanks for letting us know about Netlibrary. I will be setting up my info today.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR

Comment

My library just told me that I could download books from library2go which they are affiliated with! Going there now to try it out. :wink:

Originally posted by ritzy
              As I write I am downloading my first two books on CD to my iPod. I am excited to see if I will like the author and the reading. "thann thanks for letting us know about Netlibrary. I will be setting up my info today.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR

Comment

Don't do what I did the first time I tried to put a book on the Ipod to listen to on an airplane.I didn't want to lose any cds so I did some convoluted process of copying cds from the library into my Itunes and then in to the Ipod. Sort of trying to figure it out myself and not knowing what I was doing. Anyway the book was very confusing and I thought the sequence of scenes did not make much sense till I realized it was shuffling the cds! I never did get it figured out to go in order. :lol:

Karen

Comment

I recently read Debbie Macomber's knitting series also. They were all very good books. I just finished Suzanna's Garden by the same author, that one was excellent also. The ending really caught me by surprise, I love when that happens!
                  My sister just gave me Navy Baby by Debbie Macomber, she said it was a good. I haven't started it yet.

Comment

I recently read Suzanna's Garden and I agree with you. It was good. I usually can't remember titles of books I've read until I see them again.That doesn't work well for recommending books.

Karen

Comment

[quote="ladyquilter"]Karen, what was the name of the one you returned unread? I'm horrible about reading in order and in fact, just purchased one yesterday that I somehow missed reading -- called False Memory. It originally came out in '99. Many of my favorite authors have written some pretty awful books lately -- of course, that's just my opinion, but if I can't get "into and absorbed" in the book in the first two chapters, I put it aside
                      JoJo

I don't remember the title but it had a LOT of talking about some slimy rain and just seemed dumb. I always liked his books because there are characters doing such extremely horrible deeds but then there is the one wonderful truly good person who conquers evil in the end. Always with a little humor too. Lately several of the stories have been quite a stretch so not too interesting for me.
                      I do like Debbie Macomber too and have one on tape by my machine right now if I'd ever get back to work on sewing.

Karen

Comment

Dana Stabenow has become my favorite mystery author. The books are set in Alaska and that woman can write! Exciting and positively wonderful! The woman who narrates Stabenow's books is so good. Her name escapes me at the moment.

Dean Koontz's books have superb narrators (readers). I enjoyed each of those very much. I've listened to thousands of books on tape or cd and have a long list of great authors, all free from the library. When I'm not in the process of moving my sewing room, which has made for a gigantic jumble, I will be able to list more authors. Sue Grafton is also terrific!

JoAnne

Comment

I love Sue Grafton and how about Janet Evanovich on tape? THere is one narrator of hers that I love and another that I have to keep yelling at and telling her she is doing the character wrong.

Karen

Comment

I love my MP3 player. I just finished the Barbara Holloway series by Kate Wilhelm. Very good if you like mystery.

Comment

Sandy, I just finished THE PIED PIPER by Ridley Pearson. It's a great book, Pearson is GOOD. Thanks for telling us about Wilhelm, I'll have to get something by her.

JoAnne[/u]

Comment

I put Ridley Pearson on my list of authors to check out. Sue Gafton's latest was one of the first I listened to on my MP3. I have read all her. I went through the other recommendation here and added some more to my list.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1991 users online. 158 members and 1833 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X