Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Books on Tape (or Ipod or MP3 Player)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books on Tape (or Ipod or MP3 Player)

I've been reading about folks who multi-task by sewing and listening to books on tape. I've been a die-hard visual book reader and have fought listening to books but am finding less time to do all of the wonderful things I enjoy doing. So, now I am reconsidering my stand on audio books.

Now that I'm coming out of the dark ages, I need advice. I've been online searching for audio books and have become totally confused. Can you play all audio books on any device you want or is there one that I should buy over the others to use and why? I'm ready to go buy a player but don't know which one to buy.

Also, where is a good place to buy audio books that don't cost so much. The prices I found this morning was $25 to $30 per book and that's more than I pay for a hardback.

Thanks for any assistance. I want to listen to a book and sew instead of listening to talk radio or the endless chatter of DJs.

P.S. Would appreciate recommended titles for first time too.
    JoJo

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

I love my Ipod. It is so easy to use. And check out audible.com You buy a subscription for about $15 a month and with that you get a free book every month and discounted prices on the rest. They have 50,000 books to choose from. Something for everyone.
    Colleen

Comment

It's not even necessary to buy any books on tape. The library has tons of them on CD or cassette tapes. I just listen to them on a regular player while sewing or working at home.

Karen
      Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

another place to look is used book stores. Here in TX we have Half Priced Books, they have a large selection of books on CD or tape.
        Frances

Comment

I download my books from audible.com. You buy a membership at different levels and get credits to trade in for books. Of course, the higher the level of membership, the cheaper each book averages. Audible also has several sales to get bargains. There's a "paperback" one on now. Unlike some music downloads, the books are YOURS and can be downloaded on different devices. Audible supports many different brands of player.

And libraries do have audio books to lend. Also try used book shops and get some bargains that way too.

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

I also borrow books on CD from our local library, then I use Windows Media Player to "rip" the discs to my hard drive in a format that I can then sync to my mp3 player. This allows me to immediately return the discs, preventing late fees or any unintended damage to the discs (scratches). It is totally free, although I have been told that technically it is illegal. The way I see it though I am just putting it in a format I more readily use than a cd, no different than if I made photocopys of pages for use in a project. Once I am done with a book I delete the whole thing from my hard drive, so I am not keeping a copy perminantly.

Comment

Oh, just remembered this as well. My local library has also just started carrying digital audio books - they come preloaded in a special player, which you can borrow just like any book - the players are about the size of a small mp3 player. Not a big selection yet, but it is intriguing to not have to do the download bit.

Comment

My library has books on-line that I can "check-out" and download, put on my MP3 player and listen to while quilting OR at the gym!

They are good for 2 weeks, and then they automatically go back to the library!

Comment

Originally posted by QuilterLynn
                  My library has books on-line that I can "check-out" and download, put on my MP3 player and listen to while quilting OR at the gym!

They are good for 2 weeks, and then they automatically go back to the library!
                  So does mine -- it's called Netlibrary (netlibrary.com). Ask at your library whether they subscribe to this service. If so, request a user ID and password. Netlibrary has ebooks as well as audio books. They don't have every book under the sun, but I've found many by favorite authors.

'thann

Comment

What's an ebook? One you actually read on the screen with your eyes?

Duh!

Well, in today's world with new technology and new words, it doesn't hurt to ask the simplest questions, does it? ha ha :? ops: :wink:

Comment

There are eBooks that one loads onto a device and reads rather than listens to. It is called the Sony Reader.

Comment

And don't forget Cracker Barrel! They have a "lending library" of audio books. I don't know the particulars, because I don't use it, but for a small fee, you check out a book from any Cracker Barrel and return it to any other, as I understand it. It's a great idea for travelers, which I'm sure was the idea, but if you have a Cracker Barrel nearby, you could try it out.
                        Brita

Comment

Until this week I had never listened to a book on tape or CD, but now I think I'm hooked. Wednesday, I went to the library to get a particular book, but the four printed library copies of the book were checked out and had long waiting lists. However, the CD copy (5 disks), narrated by the author, was available. The CDs are loaned out for two weeks, just like the printed books. I completed listening to the first disk in my car while running my errands that morning. Since our TV cable was out for more than 36 hours, due to a bad storm late Tuesday night, I turned the volume up on the CD player and listened to two more disks while doing my chores around the house. I'll probably listen to the last two disks today. There is no way that I'd be able to complete reading the printed book in this short period of time. Besides that, by listening to the CDs, you get to hear the author's tone and inflections. I highly recommend books on CD, but still love the printed pages .

Comment

Originally posted by NancyinSTL
                            I turned the volume up on the CD player and listened to two more disks while doing my chores around the house.
                            See, this is what I do, only I have them on my mp3 player. I turn it on, put in the earbuds, and listen away while I clean the house, quilt, watch the kids playing outside or in the pool (never have to take my eyes off them that way) wash dishes, etc. I get through lots more "reading" than I ever would any other way. Of course I still prefer the printed page because then it is all in my head and I get swept away more. Cd's or digital audio books can never reproduce that, and really I read faster than the narrator can speak, so when I have the time to just sit and read I can get through a book faster the old way.

Oh, and I also love reading aloud to my kids too. We started about 2 years ago reading the Harry Potter books - we are in the middle of Deathly Hallows right now! It is just such a blast because I get into acting out the voices and stuff :lol: I've gotten pretty good at English accents. 8) Anyway, when we were doing Goblet of Fire I tried using cd's just to save my voice. No dice, the kids prefered mommy's reading because she said things "right". We always take a break between books to read other things - so far we have read Sign of the Beaver, The Borrowers, Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie, and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH as well as the HP books, and once we finish this one I already have lined up to read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 8)

Comment

It is true that nothing really replaces the joy of reading and of introducing another generation to that joy. Reading the printed word allows your imagination to create an individual picture of the characters and the scene. Reading aloud to children is a wonderful bonding experience and truely quality time with the family. DH and I love to read and passed that on to his daughter who is now passing it on to her children. In fact I just quilted a little cloth book for the granddaughter who, at 16 months, looks at it every night with Mom.

But I have to say that audible books have allowed me to do two of the things I love ... "reading" and quilting ... and "reading" and the things I don't love like cleaning, ironing, (you know) and "reading" and the things I should do (exercise). Options, that's what it gives me. I believe that this is what technology should do for us, that is, allow us to enrich our lives.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2874 users online. 527 members and 2347 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                              Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X