Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Questions for Ricky

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for Ricky

If you want to ask something about Rhapsody - do it here.

Hello Ricky,
    Have you always machine appliqued your Rhapsody? I am not really fond of machine applique, but I realize that to do the needle turn, it would take a while.
    Also, how are you joining the background pieces? I hope I am not asking something that you've already went over in a previous video.
    Thanks,
    Carolyn in WV

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn1965
      Hello Ricky,
      Have you always machine appliqued your Rhapsody? I am not really fond of machine applique, but I realize that to do the needle turn, it would take a while.
      Also, how are you joining the background pieces? I hope I am not asking something that you've already went over in a previous video.
      Thanks,
      Carolyn in WV
      Carolyn,

I have been doing machine applique for years - simply don't have the time for hand applique and some of my designs are better suited for machine applique. You should do what suits you best. I'm showing what I do, but I'm not trying to make converts. If something seems to fit - try it on.

Also, I have to do all the applique before joining the background pieces - so that is coming. Stay tuned. - Ricky[/b]

Comment

Hi Ricky,

I have been following your Rhapsody videos and I saw the film of where you get some ideas for the applique. There is so much applique on these quilts that I am wondering where you get ALL of your ideas and/or designs and how do you get them to fit where you want them?

Thank you for showing how to do this quilt.

Kathy

Comment

On your Songe d'Automne quilt how did you sew on the small triangle borders? Did you applique them or piece them? Thanks, Sharon from MistyLane

Comment

Ricky,

I LOVE your rhapsody quilts, and am in the midst of creating my own. Your rhapsody book and videos are excellent, but I definitely have some "questions for Ricky"!

1. I have been practicing "set-in curved corners" (page 64 of your book) and "curved piecing and set-in corners", but am still inconsistent in achieving precise points, without fraying or puckers. I believe I am clipping just a hair beyond the stay stitching, but I am still a bit confused how to sew the points accurately. I would really appreciate some extra visuals that explain how to "Stitch toward the corner across the snip and catch one thread of curved L fabric". Could you include an explanation in the video blog, with really good close-ups while actually sewing those points? That would be so helpful to me!

2. I really like how Steam-a-Seam2 works for the rhapsody appliques---this is the first I have used that product. I ordered it on-line, but unfortunately the company folded it up and mailed it in a small soft mailer, so it was horribly crumpled when I got it. Do you have any suggestions on flattening it?---my attempts were only minimally successful. Can you recommend a reputable source for ordering Steam-a-Seam2 so I don't run into this problem again?

3. I am using your Art Studio Colors for the applique, with The Bottom Line in the bobbin. I would like to quilt it using your Art Studio Colors as well. Would I also use The Bottom Line in the bobbin for free motion quilting (using a Bernina), or a different weight thread?

4. Will you ever teach your technique for dying fabrics?

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to answer my questions! We are SO VERY LUCKY to have YOU, and TQS!!! I love it all!
            Judy in Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by luvstakwilt
              Hi Ricky,

I have been following your Rhapsody videos and I saw the film of where you get some ideas for the applique. There is so much applique on these quilts that I am wondering where you get ALL of your ideas and/or designs and how do you get them to fit where you want them?

Thank you for showing how to do this quilt.

Kathy
              Hi Miss Kathy, It is the applique that "makes" these quilts. I really just doodle, erase, and doodle more until I create something I like. I draw ON the actual template so whatever I am creating will fit that space.

Comment

Originally posted by MistyLaneQuilts
                On your Songe d'Automne quilt how did you sew on the small triangle borders? Did you applique them or piece them? Thanks, Sharon from MistyLane
                The sawtooth looking parts on Songe dAutomne (go to my website, on menu bar, just under my photo, then quilts, then quilt gallery) is appliqued on the border. The non-sawtooth edges is then pieced into the seam.

Comment

Originally posted by keeper
                  Ricky,

I LOVE your rhapsody quilts, and am in the midst of creating my own. Your rhapsody book and videos are excellent, but I definitely have some "questions for Ricky"!

1. I have been practicing "set-in curved corners" (page 64 of your book) and "curved piecing and set-in corners", but am still inconsistent in achieving precise points, without fraying or puckers. I believe I am clipping just a hair beyond the stay stitching, but I am still a bit confused how to sew the points accurately. I would really appreciate some extra visuals that explain how to "Stitch toward the corner across the snip and catch one thread of curved L fabric". Could you include an explanation in the video blog, with really good close-ups while actually sewing those points? That would be so helpful to me!

2. I really like how Steam-a-Seam2 works for the rhapsody appliques---this is the first I have used that product. I ordered it on-line, but unfortunately the company folded it up and mailed it in a small soft mailer, so it was horribly crumpled when I got it. Do you have any suggestions on flattening it?---my attempts were only minimally successful. Can you recommend a reputable source for ordering Steam-a-Seam2 so I don't run into this problem again?

3. I am using your Art Studio Colors for the applique, with The Bottom Line in the bobbin. I would like to quilt it using your Art Studio Colors as well. Would I also use The Bottom Line in the bobbin for free motion quilting (using a Bernina), or a different weight thread?

4. Will you ever teach your technique for dying fabrics?

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to answer my questions! We are SO VERY LUCKY to have YOU, and TQS!!! I love it all!
                  Judy in Alabama
                  Regarding #1. As I progress through making the quilt you WILL see all those techniques. On the set in corner, I'd rather see a small pleat than a tuft of unsewn fabric. - I will show you this.

Regarding #2 - We sell Steam a Seam 2 on my website - in three yard pieces, on a roll in a tube so it is not creased. If you give what you bought a light once over with a moderate iron, it should flatten it out for use. You might consider purchasing an entire roll/box of Steam from your LQS. They are likely to make you a deal if you by the entire box. That's a lot of Steam a Seam, but perhaps you could share with a friend.

Regarding #3 - My most recent quilt used the Art Studio on top and Bottom Line on back. My recommendation will be to make a sample before doing it on your master project.

Comment

Ricky,

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I look forward to upcoming Rhapsody blog videos! Regarding Steam-a-Seam2, I did go to your website first before I ordered from that other company (that mailed it all crumpled) and could not find it listed there. I just returned to your website and looked in the Online Store and still could not locate it. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I searched under all the various categories. Under Quilting Supplies, only fabric glue stick and wash away thread were listed. I certainly WANT to purchase from you, because I know the merchandise would be shipped properly. Do you have any suggestions?

I have been a huge fan of yours since attending the Martha Pullen Quilt Academy in Huntsville, Al in 2003. Your presentations are ALWAYS EXCELLENT (I have been to a total of four different ones), and CAN'T WAIT to attend your Super Seminar in Paducah this year! It will also be my first time at the Paducah Show and I am so excited!

Thank you again for EVERYTHING you do.
                    Judy in Alabama

Comment

If your Steam-A-Seam is all creased..you can fix it by using an applique pressing sheet...pressing sheet on the web site of the SAS...a little press and you are ready to use it :wink: I do it when the web getting loose from the paper too :lol:

Comment

In your wonderful book, you do show one diagram with piecing order. But looking at your quilts and others in the gallery, I have trouble figuring out the piecing order. Are there any principles or guidelines that are followed in rhapsody quilts?

Comment

I have found parchment paper makes a wonderful pressing sheet.

Comment

--I just returned to your website and looked in the Online Store and still could not locate it. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I searched under all the various categories. Under Quilting Supplies, only fabric glue stick and wash away thread were listed--

Sorry you didn't see it. You didn't do anything wrong. We have an automated warehouse on the website. So when the tally goes to 0, the product disappears. We just updated the website so Steam-a-Seam is there now. Currently 18 rolls (as of this minute)

Comment

Originally posted by janiceby
                              In your wonderful book, you do show one diagram with piecing order. But looking at your quilts and others in the gallery, I have trouble figuring out the piecing order. Are there any principles or guidelines that are followed in rhapsody quilts?
                              The only quilt that I think would be difficult to figure out is Fire Dragon, because it uses partial-seam piecing. The others all fall into place just as I describe in the book. In other words, the opposite of the way it is drawn. You are smart to look at my quilts - and others - and play the game, "What was the order this was pieced?" If you figure that out on several Rhapsody quilts, your skill to understand piecing order on all quilt projects will be enhanced. If I can, at some point, I'll try to do a review of that lesson, but it won't be until all of the current video is edited and posted.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2107 users online. 224 members and 1883 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X