Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Questions for Ricky

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ricky, I'm making a quilt that is based on hawaiian applique (a cousin to your work on here), but I've been able to use SO many of your techniques to help me along the way. Instead of one huge design, I've created several huge pattern pieces that will get machine appliqued together and that's where my problems have set in! I've used one pattern piece to help me line up another pattern piece and then blanket stitched it down. However, it seems as though the whole piece shifted over a little bit during the sewing process & now things don't line up correctly any more! Yikes! I think I can save it by cutting the next piece a little larger and fudging the edges, but has anything like this ever happened to you? I bought some Roxanne's glue baste now for my even larger, more unwieldy pieces, so hopefully that will help and things won't get all helter skelter! I wish my imagination and technical skill could get on the same page!! ops:
    Living Threads
    http://www.livingthreads.net

Comment

Ricky I just bought my first Rhapsody Quilt book by you. I can not believe I haven't come across this before. I can't wait to get started. I just started quilting again so be prepared for quite a few questions and thanks for all the great colorful ideas. By the way I will admit I went out today looking for one of these books. Simply because of this website and the fact that I did not know what a Rhapsody quilt was. Although I did admire them when I seen them other peoples sites. Well sew long Rachel
      Living Threads
      http://www.livingthreads.net

Comment

Originally posted by elsielf
        'Nother question for Ricky. When are you going to again have the Convergence pattern for sale? I know a shop that wants to carry it.
        It IS for sale. Please have them contact Justin - via http://www.rickytims.com

Comment

O.K. Ricky, You've got me hooked!!! I started looking at your Rhapsody videos about the first of this year. It was interesting because that is the way we used to make certain patterns for painting. I made a couple of drawings then went on vacation. I just started looking again lately. I am getting all fired up to make one.
          I don't know which pattern I will make (I've made more) but I know that I would like to include some of my painted fabric. Maybe instead of the appliques? or maybe just the background fabric? or? Any suggestions??
          I have painted for about 40 years and sewn since I was 12. I am new to quilting and I am now painting fabric, painting decorative patterns on it, teaching it and sewing it up!! I'm having lots of enjoyment in my retirement!!
          Thanks for everything, Carolyn

Comment

I just purchased your Rhapsody book and I've followed the thread on copyright. I want to start a quilt with my stash of hand dyed fabrics. What do you think about either making a quilt just like one of yours in the book or making one that is inspired but similar to one of your designs? I really don't want to do the wrong thing.
            Gail

Comment

I am really missing the Rhapsody quilt videos.

Can you tell us when you plan on working on it again?

Love you guys. I pray the Lord blesses you all, ARJJ, with a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire
                Karen, I feel your pain about throwing out your little bits of fabric. I have an idea - but keep in mind that I've never actually DONE this, so anyone else out there let me know if this won't work. I would cut them into even smaller pieces, sort them by color, draw a simple landscape (or whatever floats your boat) on muslin and then fill in areas with colored bits of fused fabric. Since Steam-A-Steam is sticky, you should be able to move bits around until you get them where you want them (but try not to think about it too hard). In the end, you'd have a Monet-esque artsy quilt. Then the quilting could just be free-motion all over the place - since it'd be a wall hanging, you wouldn't have to stitch down every single raw edge. How does that sound? I've actually thought of doing this with those little bitty corners that you cut off of stitched triangle squares (instead of fusing, I would overlay with some tulle and stitch down) - those little bits just look so pretty in my trash bowl... but I haven't brought myself to being THAT crazy yet... I think... :lol:
                Tina, in a cold, rainy Arlington, Wa
                Tina, you're almost describing Cindy Walters's Snippets technique. She has a couple of books out by that name.

Anne in Vancouver, Canada

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Ricky, why do you use a dry iron to fuse the Steam-a-Seam 2 to the fabric?

I've never been able to find anything on the label that says whether to use a steam iron or a dry iron. It seems kind of strange to me to use steam if you're using an applique pressing sheet, because the steam won't go through it. On the other hand, they do call it STEAM-a-Seam, so I assume that's what the manufacturer intends us to use.

Any advice about this?

Anne in Vancouver, Canada

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

When it comes to fusable web there are different kinds out there, some want steam and some dont :wink: . Steam-A-Seam wants steam so do not use an applique pressing sheet

All those little pieces of fabric are GOLD to me . I cut any left over to max wide strips...and I do collect 2 1/2" squares, 4 1/2" sq and 5" sq (for making half sq triangeles...square down to 4 1/2"). One of these days I will have enough scrap pieses to make a quilt...like the one Ricky have posted under "Projects".

Smaller and odd pieces I save for applique :shock:

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Hey why haven't your flag been flying Happy

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by keeper
                        Ricky,

I LOVE your rhapsody quilts, and am in the midst of creating my own. Your rhapsody book and videos are excellent, but I definitely have some "questions for Ricky"!

1. I have been practicing "set-in curved corners" (page 64 of your book) and "curved piecing and set-in corners", but am still inconsistent in achieving precise points, without fraying or puckers. I believe I am clipping just a hair beyond the stay stitching, but I am still a bit confused how to sew the points accurately. I would really appreciate some extra visuals that explain how to "Stitch toward the corner across the snip and catch one thread of curved L fabric". Could you include an explanation in the video blog, with really good close-ups while actually sewing those points? That would be so helpful to me!

2. I really like how Steam-a-Seam2 works for the rhapsody appliques---this is the first I have used that product. I ordered it on-line, but unfortunately the company folded it up and mailed it in a small soft mailer, so it was horribly crumpled when I got it. Do you have any suggestions on flattening it?---my attempts were only minimally successful. Can you recommend a reputable source for ordering Steam-a-Seam2 so I don't run into this problem again?

3. I am using your Art Studio Colors for the applique, with The Bottom Line in the bobbin. I would like to quilt it using your Art Studio Colors as well. Would I also use The Bottom Line in the bobbin for free motion quilting (using a Bernina), or a different weight thread?

4. Will you ever teach your technique for dying fabrics?

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to answer my questions! We are SO VERY LUCKY to have YOU, and TQS!!! I love it all!
                        Judy in Alabama
                        I was able to get my Steam A Seam 2 Lite by the yard at Bighornquilts.com. They rolled it up and shipped it.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Ricky or anyone else do you know what type of thread the varigated one is going towards the bottom of the photo, and if you know the colour that would also be great please

Taree NSW - Australia
                          My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Hi - I'm not sure what photo - but if it is variegated and on my quilt it is probably "Rainbows" by Superior.

Comment

One more - opps - yes on the border piece that is variegated - and Rainbows.

Comment

The other appliques are solid Art Studio threads by Superior

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2107 users online. 240 members and 1867 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X