Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

My first Harmonic Convergence

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the idea of practicing the cuts on paper is great.

I have two thoughts for ways to accomplish the effect I think you want.

1. you could lay one piece on top of the other and cut in the opposite direction with the same type of gentle curves that you have for the first cuts. This will get you the curves but you will also end up with a kind of wonky checkerboard effect which may not be what you want.

2. I think what I would do given the effect you have described is cut the two edges you will be joining in the butted caveman cut that Ricky has demonstrated on a couple of shows and join the two pieces. Then I would make wave like gentle curved cuts and insert narrow strips in the manner that Alex did on the challenge show. This way you would get a wavy effect but not the checkerboard or diamond shapes that converging with either horizontal cuts or diagonal cuts would result in.

Just remember this is your quilt and there are no "convergence police" to tell you what you must do. You could certainly "try out" either of these suggestions on paper and see what you think. Good luck I am sure your convergence will be beautiful no matter what you do. Ann

Comment

THankyou Ann,
      I had already cut on the diagonal by the time I had read your reply, but I haven't sewn the two halves together yet. So I think I will use your idea of the wavy line through the center, and I will probably also do the same for a black border. then the final border will be straight. That should cover the twin bed. My one problem is my mat isn't big enough. I have one of those white large mats and I still have to add smaller mats on the outside to continue a cut for squaring up. I don't suppose anyone has tip on how to do this when the top is rectangle and no straight lines in the corners to use. I will upload a photo when I am done here. Cheryl

Comment

I just purchased Ricky's convergence quilt book and the quilts are beautiful. I've never tried one of these, but would like to. I thought there was a companion DVD with this book, but when I check out TQS shoppe I don't see one. Was I dreaming?

Comment

Grand finale and caveman style were the only two dvd's on Ricky's site. It only looks complicated. Let your hair down, slice and sew. Its a surprise on how it turns out. Just don't have any preconcieved ideas on how it should turn out and you will be pleased. Cheryl

Comment

Dcrine, I purchased Ricky's book some while ago, read it through several times and have only recently made my first convergence. The book explains it all very clearly and as long as you follow the instructions, you cant go wrong. I also spent some time looking at all the photos to help me decide what fabrics to use. It really is a mystery quilt, because you really dont know what it will look like till its finished. I found that was half the fun. I know that there is a quilt show where Ricky demonstates project 2 from the book but I cant remember which one. Perhaps someone else can help with that. Pam

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Originally posted by dcrine
              I just purchased Ricky's convergence quilt book and the quilts are beautiful. I've never tried one of these, but would like to. I thought there was a companion DVD with this book, but when I check out TQS shoppe I don't see one. Was I dreaming?
              dcrine - I have drooled over your Rhapsody! It is incredible! I have no doubt that you will "shoot the lights out" with a Convergence! Have fun!

Mary Kay

Comment

Deb, anyone who can make a Rhapsody quiltlike that will find Convergence quilts a walk in the park. I also agree with Pam, you never really know how it is going to turn out which is half the fun. Maggi

Comment

Thanks Mary Kay.

I've read through the convergence book and the instructions are great and it seems pretty straight forward. I would like to create a horizontal harmonic convergence and I'm not sure how I would cut the fabric. It's covered briefily in the book, but I'm not certain what to do. If I want the quilt to end up measuring 60x40 (roughly, including borders), how do I figure out what size to cut my fabric?

Thanks, Deb

Comment

Dcrine,
                    I have a twin size quilt top on my profile where I used two one yard pieces of contrasting fabric. I cut wavey lines for the first cut and alternated. THe second cut and converging adds the length. You can see what i did under my persnal photos. It should give you a basic idea on how it works. Cheryl

Comment

Hey Cheryl -- I remember seeing your quilt in the show and tell. (btw, did the laser level work for you?) I'll take look at your photo's again. Thanks, Deb.

Comment

I tend to be a very visual person (and math isn't my best area) so when I am planning a convergence I figure out the size I want and then choose my fabrics. If I am doing a traditional harmonic convergence, I divide the area of the convergence (minus what I think I want for borders) into four equal sections. Once I know that measurement I add one inch for every four seams and a couple of inches each was for fudge factor. If I am doing a two fabric convergence such as divide and conquer I divide the area by two. For the divide and conquer you have to remember you will have two identical size pieces of fabric so you have to plan whether you want a tall slim convergence or a shorter wide convergence. And this you may not know until you see how your curves play together. I usually make a similar smaller convergence and note the dimensions so when I cut into larger pieces of fabric, my calculations are close. Borders also vary the dimensions and you can add two or more if necessary. I have learned not to be too compulsive about the finished size of a convergence because even with my best planning I am often off some. If I ever use a convergence in a bed quilt, I would probably plan to have the convergence be a center medalion with maybe a similar convergence on the pillow area and plain or pieced borders for the drop area of the quilt. In fact I have wanted to do one like that for a while but have too many UFO's at the moment to even think about it. Hope this is helpful. I know there are some other hints in the convergence book about calculation of dimensions but I can't remember them all right now. Have fun with your convergence - you can do it!!!!!! Ann

Comment

Deb, Show 303 is the one for Ricky's demo of Project 2 from his Harmonic convergence book. Pam

Comment

Hi Deb, I actually got side tracked. But today is Saturday, and I am in search of the level. Wish me luck. Things aren't always where they should. :lol: Cheryl

Comment

Thank you all for the tips and feedback. I've have the perfect fabric, which I've been saving because it's too pretty to cut up, but I'm over that and am looking forward to trying one of these quilts. I'm usually very methodical and sketch or plan everything before I begin, so this is very much outside of my comfort zone, and I'm looking forward to trying something different. I'm going to stick to something basic and hope for the best. Cheers! Deb

Comment

Deb - I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with! I am sure that it will be great! Mary Kay

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1989 users online. 155 members and 1834 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X