Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

All Things Rhapsody

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't started a rhapsody yet but my convergences do that all the time. I started one in Ricky's class in Minnesota last summer and was so sure the fabric was right and it would be great. Then I put the first part on the design wall with the "right side" up. It sort of looked at me funny and said what in the world are you thinking? Well right then I knew I had a problem and it wouldn't be happy until I did something else. so I looked at it from every angle possible and realized I had green grass (sort of ) on one side and blue sky (also sort of ) on the other in vertical orientation, so by setting it on point the sky was up and the grass was down and the flowers suddenly made sense. When I got it home from class it also yelled out for texture so I am stilll in process of doing mock trapunto with each of the flowers. It has gotten relegated to a back burner due to other projects but the flowers are starting to yell for the light of day so it will come out soon. (needless to say my family thinks I belong in the loony bin when I say my quilt tells me what it wants to be but they do and that is only one of many who talk and sometimes shout to me to say what they should be)

Listen to that Rhapsody because if you don't there will always be a little voice nagging at you saying I told you not to make me this way!!!!

Good Luck Ann

Comment

Don't ever discount what your quilt is telling you. And don't let anyone cart you off to the looney bin because you have talking quilts. Sometimes the quilt simply knows best :lol:

Comment

Judy, I certainly know what you mean about your planned out quilt not working!!!!!!!!!When I started my Rhapsody quilt in Ricky's class this past summer, I was the Queen of the planning it out in the months before I went to class. I had every piece of fabric folded perfect and every piece planned out just so so.......well, when I started putting those pieces on that design wall, it was very dark and lifeless. (I decided to use those words instead of ugly). When I went to bed the night after the second day of class, I couldn't sleep. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw all those pieces I had tried that didn't work. When I got to class the third day, I thought of using a different color for the center that I had not tried before and all of a sudden, it made sense....from then on, it became something I was pleased with and I never changed my mind again.

I think my greatest obstacle in this whole process is being patient and listening to my heart about which color is right. I've only had a few minutes each day for the past three weeks to work on my two new quilt projects......and by yesterday, I had fabric slung all over this room. So tonight, I had several hours in here and I folded it all and put it away. Now, I will put the patterns on the design wall and wait........(I do hope I don't have to wait too long though :roll: ) So Judy, now you know, you're not alone......

Dana in Olive Branch, MS

Comment

Originally posted by dogquilter
          I have been working on my Rhapsody. I can't believe this, I had a specific design in mind. The whole quilt was created in my mind down to the smallest detail. Then I put the design on my design wall. I yelled at me, NO I am not that quilt. I want to be something else. I have since recreated another skeleton, but I can't move on until this other quilt is done talking to me.

Have you had a rhapsody that decided to be something other than you planned for it to be?
          The comments are correct - don't make the quilt be something it doesn't want to be. I bet the original skeleton would work just fine, but its the fabrics and applique choices that make it different. Perhaps you have started from scratch, but if not ye, give the skeleton you started with another chance. - Ricky, in Texas with my folks, heading back to La Veta today.

Comment

Thanks for all the encouraging words. My design is still on the wall, and I really love what it wants to be. Where I live is known as the Valley of Flowers. We have an annual Flower Festival. I didn't ever intend for my skeleton to look like a flower, but once all the colors were placed that's what YELLED at me. I am now figuring out what type of appliqué work this quilt wants to own.

This is such an empowering process, releasing your creativity from within your soul.

Comment

Comment

Hanne-Grete, you make me laugh!
                :lol: I know what you mean about not wanting to give up your quilt until you die, though. But what a beautiful legacy to leave to your kids. You do realize, don't you, that in planning your future you're also going to have to make one for each of your future grandchildren... each of your great-grandchildren... Looks like you have lots of work to do! Fun!
                -Tina, in what is turning out to be a beautiful day in Arlington, Washington

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire
                  Hanne-Grete, you make me laugh!
                  :lol: I know what you mean about not wanting to give up your quilt until you die, though. But what a beautiful legacy to leave to your kids. You do realize, don't you, that in planning your future you're also going to have to make one for each of your future grandchildren... each of your great-grandchildren... Looks like you have lots of work to do! Fun!
                  -Tina, in what is turning out to be a beautiful day in Arlington, Washington
                  Oh Boy..all i will make in the future are rhapsodies :lol: I do not have any grandkids yet :cry: but i do have my very own "granny chest".
                  My kids are real bright ( hmmm...they must have that from my grand dad :wink: ) so i guess they will realize that the rhapsodies have 4 similar parts, so GK can have 1/4 of the rhapsody..GGK can have 1/8...and in the end someone is sitting with 1 stitch or 2 :lol: :lol:

Comment

Hanne-Grete, you're too funny! :lol: :lol: Reminds me of my Italian grandmother's 'board' (a solid piece of wood that was HER mother's that was used to make pasta and polenta). We all wanted that board and figured we'd have to cut it up and divide it... and eventually, we joked, our great-great-great grandkids would have earrings made out of 'the board'. Sadly, 'the board' was lost and no one has it now, but I still laugh at the thought of those earrings... AND I tell my kids the story so 'the board' will live on...
                    Hopefully, those left with that final stitch or 2 of your Rhapsody quilt will be told the story of the love and laughter that went into it in the first place.
                    -Tina

Comment

spitfire the story of your board makes me sad -- I know that is not the intent but it reminds me of treasures that our family had that were stolen because the person who owned them and needed nursing home care forbade his children to remove them from the house. So they neatly packed them all in boxes, labeled them and put them in an upstairs back closet just waiting for the robbers to come in and quickly remove them because they were conveniently packed and labeled.

The quilt in my profile called Remembering Aunt Cora is a tribute to my wonderful aunt and her beautiful treasures that were stolen. I have given those quilts (I have done three) to her grandchildren but kept one for me so the three of us can over the years share in our memories and honor that wonderful lady.

so think about it maybe there is a way you can honor the "board" and your memories for all of your family to share. Maybe a series of small wall hangings with the board in a picture so all can see that special memory

Ann who cherishes her memories

Comment

Sorry, Ann, didn't mean to make you sad, but it is unfortunate when things like this happen. Your story makes me sadder - mine was just a board . Sounds like you lost a lot more than that. I love your quilt, though. What a great way to help your family remember. (Plus, I just love tea pots and tea cups even though I don't really drink tea. I have a set of heart shaped cups that I adore beyond reason...) I had never thought of making a quilt honoring 'the board', but it's a neat idea. I do occasionally make homemade pasta, so a kitchen wallhanging featuring pasta and the board would actually be a nice touch. Since this is the Rhapsody forum, maybe I should make a Rhapsody quilt with pasta winding around as the applique :lol: . I'll have to work that one out in my head a little longer...
                        -Tina

Comment

Tina, I'm loving your pasta applique idea. Do it. I can't wait to see what it would look like. Karen
                          Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Tina, me too - I think your cooking up a great idea to commemorate the board. The Rhapsody quilts look mediterranean to me with the beautiful tile look to them and so is pasta a mediterranean dish and curvy so could fill in corners :idea: .

Comment

Patti,
                              When I read what you wrote about the Rhapsodies looking like Mediterranean tiles, there was a "ding ding ding" in my head. You hit the jackpot with that description!!
                              eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Tina I recently got some "Pasta" printed fabric from hancock's of paduca-- It's just a few different pasta shapes scattered on a white background... don't know how I'll use it yet, but my twins LIVE on pasta so I couldn't resist. It was on sale but they might still have some...

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                                Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1979 users online. 154 members and 1825 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X