Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 1 — Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 1 — Show Your Progress Here

Please use this TOPIC to show your wonderful work here.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Is there a fb group to see others progress shots?

Comment

• lehab375 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since we have the ability to add photos to these posts, that's where I put mine. I am not on fakebook so I really appreciate this forum that I can see what others are doing.
      Linda

No, we keep everything official about the Block of the Month here on the TQS website so all Star members can see everything.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Helen, Barbara and soniasimon I want to thank you for your suggestions about my fabric selection. I have make a mock up of the of the first block but would like your opinion on the color selection and any suggestions for the border. Ive included a picture for you to see and give me some ideas whether or not I'm heading in the right direction. I really not a scrappy quilter so this is very difficult for me.

Comment

• Shannon M. commented
        Editing a comment
        Love your use of the "African" fabrics. That is what I would be using as well. I like the solid band as well. Thanks for sharing.

• Darlene P. commented
        Editing a comment
        LOVE this!

• Dawn C. commented
        Editing a comment
        This is so good to see. I've started mine in a neutral background but really want to do a version in a fully saturated background color. you've furthered my inspiration to do just that!
        looks fabulous!

Monique you only have 7 diamonds. I noticed when I decided to play around with
      it in EQ8. You need one more. Here is what Barbara's idea would look like.
      I added the extra green dot one so it would have 8. Helen W
      Last edited by Helen W.; 01-01-2024, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Monique G. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much Helen and Barbara. the visuals really help. Helen, I have EQ8 but I didn't know I was able to input a design into it. I guess I have some homework to do with EQ8 Thanks so much

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Monique, I drew the 8 inch block of 2 diamonds and fan, then made a 4 block quilt and used rotate to
        get them into the 8 point star configuration. I hit the zoom function on you photo and took small screenshots of your fabrics. Used the import images worktable and brought the screenshots in
        as fabric. Then just went to the quilt work table and colored each piece with the fabrics. It is just
        a workaround that I came up with. HelenW

• Judith A. commented
        Editing a comment
        Helen, you are so talented to be able to do this!!!

Pressed, starched and ready

The fabric selection in this kit is fantastic, I love the way they coordinated together. Lots of fun combinations to sew. Ready for a new adventure with the TQS BOM of 2024.
      This will be my 4th Jen Kingwell quilt. They are always a challenge and so rewarding when finished.
      Susan Skeel
      Des Moines Iowa

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        I am sure you will be able to give us quilters that are new to hand piecing a number of valuable tips.
        Your fabrics look beautiful. HelenW

Finished my center. I haven't done Y-seams in awhile but it came back to me. I had more trouble getting the curves at the diamonds in the background to match; resewed a couple of them. I machine appliqued the small curve in the fans; I tried to sew it, but they were inconsistent - some looked like a curve and some were wonky, so I decided it was just as fast to applique them.

Marjorie Holloway
      Sarasota, FL

Comment

• mhollo9202 commented
        Editing a comment
        I oversized but realized that I made the same mistake that Barbara did. Luckily it is accurate enough that I can size it to 16 1/2 inches and get my corners without having to piece a scrap onto it. I made a practice block 1 and 2 and they are not as accurate, so I am glad to see that now. I have already precut several sets of the outside edges for both blocks that I may not be able to use now, but they are all from my stash. I did buy the kit but didn't want to cut into it until we started.

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Are these Kit fabrics? The background appears to be the same as the Kit.

• mhollo9202 commented
        Editing a comment
        I do have the kit and the background is from it. I have been playing with the templates since I got them and had precut the diamonds and the blades from my stash. I decided to use them here but I am now adding pieces from the kit for block one and two. I didn't want to cut into the kit early until I knew if there were going to be any suggestions about where to use the fabrics in it beyond the background here.

Marjorie, Beautiful and colorful! Did you purchase the templates?

Comment

• mhollo9202 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I got them. I did Jen's Delilah and couldn't have done it without the templates. With the curves in this one, I knew they were going to be needed here, too.

Hand piecer, big-stitch quilter, pattern tweaker 

Comment

• Patricia G. commented
        Editing a comment
        love the fabric choices, post what u use for the background. I swore I wasn't going to start another quilt but fell in love with this one. I figure I can at least make the center block. A little afraid of that pieced background, maybe I will cut a big block and appliqué to it

• soniasimone commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve just started piecing in the background, I’ll load a new pic. It’s coming along nicely

• Judith A. commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your fabric choices. They play well together.

I got the 8 diamonds cut out and marked today. I tried to use the rotary cutter since it was all straight lines but had a lot of issues. I thought it would be faster but I had to recut a few of them. I think I will be cutting them out with the scissors from here on out.

Comment

• Judith A. commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice. Great job!

• Kelly H. commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a 28mm cutter (small but not the smallest). I used the smallest cutter (10 mm) on the bottom of the fan pieces since that is a tight curve.

I told myself I wasn't going to do this one this year. I still have the last two years to finish and want to concentrate on that. I'd just download the pattern for future need and move along. Then I saw the pattern was up on Saturday night and the show with Jen Kingman was up. After the family was asleep, I printed the pattern out, grabbed some fat quarters and watched the show. Then I decided maybe this could be something I could hand sew. I've been having some tendonitis and so am cutting myself off from crocheting in the evening as I usually do. Tonight after everyone was asleep, I watched Barbara Black's facebook live, and then watched the Jen Kingman show again and this is how far I've gotten. I really like that outer set of blocks, and now Barbara has told me I have what I need to get started on those too. I feel that hand sewing these small pieces gives a whole different texture to the quilt than machine sewing and pressing. So, I'll continue grabbing red/purple/blue fat quarters, I probably have a million, and we'll see how far I get. Happy New Year everyone.
      Ellen Lindow
      Plant City, FL

Comment

Starting a sample block while waiting for my light tone fabrics. Right now I am
        also considering using black background or white and gray fabrics. Any opinions
        are welcome.HelenW

Comment

• Marilyn M. commented
          Editing a comment
          Helen W.... Both versions look lovely. Why not go with the grey/white fabric this time, since you used black background on your Homeward Bound?

• Judith A. commented
          Editing a comment
          The colors on the black background really pop. Both are beautifull

Slowly plugging away. Picked out my fabrics (love Barb’s tip of just randomly picking 32 pieces for the fans) and the other for my star block. Like the no-rush feel of the whole month to work on it. Cut my fan pieces into 3” strips too, so ready tomorrow to work on using the templates. This is going to be a fun project.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalzy View Post
          Helen W.... Both versions look lovely. Why not go with the grey/white fabric this time, since you used black background on your Homeward Bound?
          Marilyn, I will do my sample in the grey/white grunge for the background. See how I like it. HelenW

Comment

Worked on my fans this morning. I decided to make a template for paper piecing the 4 fan blades. They reminded
            me of all the Judy Neimeyer curved flying geese paper piecing I have done in the past. I like using vellum because
            you can see thru it. I ran the pattern template page 4 times on vellum to get my fan blades. When I just make one
            and then make a copy of a copy, it is not perfectly accurate. I made my diamonds using hand piecing, but I could
            see my stitches from the front (probably tension of my thread) so rather than try again, I just sewing on the line
            with the machine. I left the hand stitches in and sewed over them. HelenW

Click on the photo to enlarge and see all of the first one.

Monique, I like your black fans so I did something similar. I pieced but tried to make them read as one color.

Comment

• Judith A. commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful! I really like what you have done here.

• Helen W. commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Judith and Marilyn for the kind words. I am loving how everyone is showing the ways they
              tweak the pattern and designs. It is all so much fun. HelenW

• Monique G. commented
              Editing a comment
              great idea!

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2104 users online. 246 members and 1858 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
          X