Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 1 — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 1 — Ask Questions Here

Please use this Topic to ask questions about Month 1.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

When I print the pattern and templates "actual size" it prints only part of the 1 Inch Square because it is in the margins and footer. I an alter to have 0 margin and remove the footer, but is there an easier option; and if possible, in the future might you be able to include the 1"inch square in the document rather than the margins? Based on it being a 16" finished block, I do know that the size is correct by measuring the other pattern pieces.

Comment

• Janet B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Im having problems with printing as well. No matter what I try I end up with the square either too small or running off the page at bottom. I can get it to one inch across however the bottom cuts off. I don't know what else to do.

• Sheridan D. commented
      Editing a comment
      I printed mine out on A4 paper and got part of the square too. The part that was there measured 1" so not sure if its the difference between A4 and Letter size paper. Not sure what size the original document is?

• Rosa W commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Teresa, I had the same problem with printing. It only printed part of the 1" square. Luckily, I have 8 1/2 x 14 copy paper, this worked. If you don't have this size copy paper, maybe taping two sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 together cutting it down to 8 1/2 x 14 may work. A bit more work. Also the copiers can be finicky, and the tape may not feed through.

Happy stitching,
      Rosa

I didn't know where to post this. I was pleased to see Jen use the Microtach basting gun to baste her quilt sandwich. I have been using this for many years for everything from table runners to queen-sized quits. The Microtach basting gun is made by Avery. It has very fine nylon fasteners. I tried the Dritz Basting gun first, and didn't like it,, because it has thick plastic fasteners that left big holes in my fabric. The small nylon Microtach fasteners make holes smaller than the pins I use, and they disappear when I wash the quilt . I don't use a marble Ilike Jen uses. I use the Dritz Quilters Basting Grid with my Microtach. I slide it around under my quilt sandwich and shoot the little nylon fasteners through the openings in the grid. This method is a lot quicker and easier on my old hands than either pin basting or hand basting.
    Last edited by Judith A.; 12-31-2023, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• AmyE commented
      Editing a comment
      Is this the gun?
      https://azretail.com/products/avery-...ch-tagging-gun
      It isn't called a basting gun here, so I wasn't sure. I will order it, if this is the one. I thought it looked like a great improvement over pinning. I am wondering how to remove them though., once the quilting is done.
      I'm not sure this is a good price however, with almost $20 shipping!
      Last edited by AmyE; 01-01-2024, 07:56 AM.

• Debra W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Judith for commenting, I was going to ask which gun was being used. I worked retail for many years and the tag gun needles would be too large.

• Judith A. commented
      Editing a comment
      I see that the basting gun Jen uses, (MicroStitch) is sold on her website. jenkingwelldesigns.com. She also sells the basting tags on her website.

Would you please post a list of Jen’s favorite equipment? I heard size 11 milliners needle for piecing and size 12 embroidery thread, but I missed the rest. Thanks in advance
    Susan Skeel
    Des Moines Iowa

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Her recommended notions list is in the Introduction document under LEARN/BOM 2024. I would add an 8.5” square ruler, Quilters Select or Creative Grids brands are best.

• sewskeel commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t see the needle sizes for piecing and embroidery

For month 1, what if you make the center medallion then appliqué it to a 17" square background fabric? You can machine or hand appliqué pending your expertise/comfort zone. What do you think?

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Susan, That was the idea I had in my back pocket incase my sample of learning how to do the
      handpiecing and the glue basting doesn't look good. I made a sample Pieced block 2 which is the
      one with the 4 petal shapes. My hand pieced one was wonky and out of shape. The one I built and
      appliquéd to a piece of white 8 1/2 inch white fabric for the background turned out great. So I figured
      if my first attempt does not work, I would cut a 17 inch square appliqué to it and cut away from the
      back side. Then trim to 16 1/2 inch square. HelenW

• Lou S. commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea...I think that so be my plan of action. I struggle with curved piecing... but applique. That I can do!

• Shannon M. commented
      Editing a comment
      My thought as well. A bit less fiddly.

Do you recommend starching fabrics for this method or not?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      It is not something I do but plenty love to starch fabrics either a little or a lot.

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      When I first saw that Jen Kingwell was the designer I started watching any of her you tubes I could
      find. If I remember right she advocates that some product called Flatter is her spray of choice.
      She said it is not starch but works great. She was making circle appliqués in the video she talked
      about it. HelenW

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      If you're hand piecing, starch (including Best Press) doesn't always make for a nice experience. If you're machine piecing, a little starch might be good to stabilize the bias.

The Flatter product is good for getting your block flat after it's sewn. It doesn't add any stiffness at all, so it doesn't really do anything for you if you use it before you cut.

Should we pretreat our fabric with "Best Press" before
    we cut out our shapes.
    Robin Hessefort
    Waunakee,Wisconsin

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      It is not something I do but if you like to, give it a try.

Originally posted by sewskeel View Post
    I don’t see the needle sizes for piecing and embroidery
    In the Show Jen says she uses a size 11 Milliner needle for piecing. She said she was using Aurifil thread, probably size 50 wt. I like to piece with Quilters Select 60 or 80 weight and found a Sharp or Between needle better for me. I bend the Milliners really quickly, very bent. I have big hands and must be heavy handed.

She says to use what works best for you.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Does John have still photos and close ups posted in gallery yet?
      Susan Skeel
      Des Moines Iowa

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Not yet. I will ask him to do that.

• Beverly C. commented
        Editing a comment
        I was glad to be able to look at the close ups in previous BOMs - glad you asked about it sewskeel!

Will 2 inch strips work for centers of fans?
      Susan Skeel
      Des Moines Iowa

Comment

I was very interested to see the micro gun Jen used in the video. On her website I found this Dennison gun which I then found on Amazon. Free shipping if you have Prime!
        Last edited by Carole B.; 01-01-2024, 11:25 AM.
        Carole Berry

Comment

• Marilyn M. commented
          Editing a comment
          Carole B....Thank you for the link re the Avery Dennison Fine Tagging Gun on Amazon. I ordered one yesterday - AUD $46.08. We subscribe to Prime, so free postage. Soon I'll be "armed and dangerous"!!

• Judith A. commented
          Editing a comment
          Marilyn M. I don't think the Avery Dennison Fine Tagging Gun on Amazon will work well. The tags for it are 1.77" ( or 45mm) long. That is almost 2 inches. That is a lot of wiggle room. I think the fabrics in a quilt sandwich would slide around. Maybe I am wrong. I use the Avery Dennison Microstitch and Microtach. The tags for these are 11/64" (or 4.5 mm) long. That is a lot smaller. They do a good job of holding the quilt sandwich together.

Did Jen say she used 26 Chenille needles for embroidery?
        Susan Skeel
        Des Moines Iowa

Comment

Originally posted by HelenW View Post
          When I first saw that Jen Kingwell was the designer I started watching any of her you tubes I could
          find. If I remember right she advocates that some product called Flatter is her spray of choice.
          She said it is not starch but works great. She was making circle appliqués in the video she talked
          about it. HelenW
          Happy New Year, Helen!

I use Flatter all the time. Introduced to it by Sue Spargo.
          Carole Berry

Comment

• Helen W. commented
            Editing a comment
            Happy New Year Carole!!! This should be a fun year. Totally out of my comfort zone, but
            looking forward to the adventure. HelenW

Originally posted by sewskeel View Post
          Did Jen say she used 26 Chenille needles for embroidery?
          She did, but it should depend on the weight of the thread used. I tend to use a 24 Chenille the most.
          Carole Berry

Comment

Barbara, I am curious why you don't rotary cut around the templates. Seems much easier than the whole discussion of tracing and then cutting off the traced line.

Comment

• Cindy B. commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the same question. I have a small rotary cutter and am going to try cutting a few with scraps to see if it works well.

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              On small pieces my big hands tend to slip on the little templates so it is better for me to trace and cut. And rotary cutting curves is much more accurate with a 28 mm cutter which I don’t have.

• soniasimone commented
              Editing a comment
              I find it hard to cut really accurately with a rotary around the templates, although I know some people do it

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2084 users online. 210 members and 1874 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
          X