Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 1 -- show your progress here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	55A898B3-8398-4BF2-9739-4B7919F4DCAF.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	895136 My start

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Finished month one, I went with a "Woodland" theme so have a gnome/fairy house appliquéd in the middle.
      Linda, Your quilt is going to be darling. Love the Woodland theme. Can't wait to see more.
      Helen

Comment

Yep, I am one of those done with this month’s block. I decided to practice and make some of the zillions of stems for this quilt.

So what have I learned:
        1. Make sure your green fabric does not fray, or it might drive you crazy.
        2. Change your rotary blade…crisp cut is important for these small strips.
        3. Sarah’s instructions are great!
        4. I will make these when I finish month’s directions, so they are at hand.
        5. While small, they are not impossible if you are slow and patient.
        6. When cutting, don’t stop! Make one smooth cut.
        7. First time using Hera and will not be the last!

I look forward to using them and see the tricks for appliquéing them.

Take your time and enjoy the process.

Happy Quilting!
        Linda H
        Happy Quilting 

Comment

• Judith A. commented
          Editing a comment
          Great tips! Thank you very much!

• NinaMarie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the tips!! I manage to get mine done for this month but they were far from perfect. I haven't gotten the hang of using the Hera Marker while doing the final iron. I'm thinking with a little practice it won't feel so foreign!

The journey begins for Homeward Bound. I want to use the roof color as the middle star. Falling in love with this and using colors I don't usually use.
        Last edited by ; 01-21-2023, 08:04 PM.
        Barbara Roessler

Comment

• Judith A. commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your sky fabric.

• commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. My camera sucks because both pictures are the same color. LOL

My chimney, door and windows are needle-turn appliqued. I've just finished "constructing" 21 houses from another of Sarah's patterns "Coming Home", her 2019 Online BOM, which has been languishing half-finished since May of that year. The myriad of chimneys, doors and windows from that pattern were all appliqued, so I chose to use that method on this block as well, but cut back on two windows. Just using stash/scraps. The background fabric looks rather bland, but it is a soft beige with white lace design.
        Last edited by Marilyn M.; 01-18-2023, 05:33 PM.
        Marilyn

Comment

• Sharon K. commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool idea; it looks nice.

Comment

• Judith A. commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like your fabric choices!

This has been Fun! And I look forward to learning so much while working on this quilt. Sandie
        Sandie T.

Comment

Can't wait to see month 2 directions. I am posting month 1 photos. Starting off as cut as I had hoped.

Comment

I pieced this cabin, but I think I'll try paper piecing on the others...the pieces are so small!

Comment

Comment

Done with my month1 homework, yay! It's my first time doing hand appliqué so a lot of "oops" but I've decided to let it go Hopefully with more practice it'll get better. Maybe a magnifying glass desk lamp will help? Any good recommendation?

Thanks in advance!
                Alice

Comment

• NinaMarie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hand applique isn't too hard if you're using the right tools...pick a nice Sharp needle (you might need to try a few to find the one you like the best - my favorite is a Richard Hemming #10), use a nice thin strong thread like a #80 wt or #100 (I just have the neutral colors - white, black, greys and they blend into everything). Take small little "bites" of the top fabric giving it a little tug to sink your thread into it. Stitch about every 1/8" of an inch. Don't worry - you'll get the hang of it fast - it just takes muscle memory - and yes good lighting! Oh and I use a Clover Desk needle threader to thread that little thread into the little eyes - lol! Good luck!!

• Alice commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Nina-Marie for all the good tips!

Originally posted by acwang View Post
                Done with my month1 homework, yay! It's my first time doing hand appliqué so a lot of "oops" but I've decided to let it go Hopefully with more practice it'll get better. Maybe a magnifying glass desk lamp will help? Any good recommendation?

Thanks in advance!
                Alice
                It looks good to me. Remember, this is the center of a 70" square quilt. Any little wiggles won't be noticed. Good lighting always helps
                Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

• Alice commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got it, thanks Carol!

This is my very first time doing hand applique. I loved learning Sarah's method for making bias tape which REALLY WORKS WELL. Had to redo one of the strips as it was off-center from the star center but I am now happy with how it has turned out. Looking forward to learning how to make circles using Sarah's method.

Comment

Comment

Month 1 is done. I am so happy that the month’s are reasonable amounts of work. I got this done despite being away for 2 weeks. I enjoyed making the cabin. I used the freezer paper piecing method we used in Color My World. Thanks Barbara for the dimensions. I need to work on the stems. They are so small to iron. I may go to Kay Buckley’s Perfect Stems. I’m enjoying seeing everyone’s cabins. There is so much creativity in this group!
                    Beth Palluzi

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1010 users online. 243 members and 767 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25244   Active Members: 1,511  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X