Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 1 -- show your progress here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month 1 finished. Those tiny pieces definitely challenged my attention to detail and accuracy!! I chose to go into my stash for the stems. For the star points, I found that stitching just a needle width away from the drawn line made the edges come out right. I also love using the "Alex method" for machine applique using stitch 1329 with a few tweaks to balance, width, length and tension.

Comment

Originally posted by donnamc View Post
      Month 1 finished. Those tiny pieces definitely challenged my attention to detail and accuracy!! I chose to go into my stash for the stems. For the star points, I found that stitching just a needle width away from the drawn line made the edges come out right. I also love using the "Alex method" for machine applique using stitch 1329 with a few tweaks to balance, width, length and tension.
      Great job, Donna! You are correct about how to sew those squares that have to fold over be fill the outer corner.

Alex's great description of machine applique is my go-to method also.

Small piecing still uses the same 1/4" seam allowance. We just get spooked the pieces start out so small.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL
      https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Got my little house done and my quilt's mascot is all moved in to her little house. I'm still undecided about what color the bias tape will be, so haven't done the outer portion yet. But I'm in love with my little house.
        Ellen Lindow
        Plant City, FL

Comment

• commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the mascot in the doorway! So creative!

• Susan M. commented
          Editing a comment
          That bear is too cute!

Catherine
        I am having SEW much fun !

Comment

• commented
          Editing a comment
          I am commenting on my own submission because all of my explantion didn't show up! My avatar and name don't post either??!!
          I like that my chimney came out a little lopsided. I like the whimsy. I will embroider smoke coming out when finishing the quilt. My photos will look like the quilt pictures because I got into this BOM because of the fabric kit reveal. Loved the fabrics and then the quilt when it was revealed. I do love seeing the photos of the many who chose their own fabrics. So much fun to see how different it will look.
          My stem here is my practice using the Whisperlite product and turning tool from Thistledown and Company. She has a teaching video. This was very easy and results in beautiful 1/4 stems.
          I have never done a BOM and will learn much from this experience. Really enjoying it!!
          Catherine

• NinaMarie commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Catherine, Your House looks great! I am new to the forum too and my avatar and name weren't showing properly either. I had all my settings set properly within the forum settings too. If it continues, I highly suggest you do a ticket and have them look into it. Justin was a huge help!
          Last edited by NinaMarie; 01-06-2023, 06:43 PM.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        I am commenting on my own submission because all of my explantion didn't show up! My avatar and name don't post either??!!
        Catherine
        Try this: on your name section, on the left here, click on the group icon—people silhouettes. This should bring up your Profile Sidebar. At the bottom it days EDIT SETTINGS. Click on that and then Account Settings. Scroll down see the options to Show Avatar and Show Signature. Turn those options on. If you haven’t created an Avatar or signature, do that on your Profile that you find under My Dashboard, on the upper bar, on the far right.

I will show this tomorrow on the Live.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL
        https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Month one fun!

Comment

• Marilyn M. commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful fabric selection!

Homeward Bound After Dark. Last year a quilter on the forum named his quilt Garden Party after Dark. I just loved that
          idea for a name for a quilt with a black background, so this year I am borrowing his idea to be Homeward Bound After Dark.
          I drafted the house in EQ8 and then decided I really needed to use up a ton of scraps from my BOM of Color My World, It was
          flannel.
          So right now I plan to do that. Not that I might not make two of this BOM and use one for a gift. I have two other BOMs I am also
          doing so we will see if I can keep up. Since flannel gets a little bulky with tiny pieces, I decided to do raw edge applique for
          month one on a whole cloth concept for the house and holly hock blocks. HelenW

Comment

• NinaMarie commented
            Editing a comment
            Ohhhh I love your after dark version! I'm using a dark background too but a dark, dark eggplant...'cause ya know...everyone needs a little dark purple in their life

• Helen W. commented
            Editing a comment
            NinaMarie, It will be fun to watch how your dark eggplant will progress. So much fun!!! HelenW

Comment

• commented
            Editing a comment
            Details in windows and door to be added later.

• Carol G. commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice. Love the dots

• Helen W. commented
            Editing a comment
            Love your red with black dot fabric. If you feel that you could use a little more contrast on the yellow house with white windows,
            you could use black embroidery thread to outline the house outlines and it would coordinate with the black dots. If you click on my house
            image you can see a twisted thread stitch technique that Ricky Tims taught in a show back about 8 or so years ago.It is great for making a defined pretty stitch around the edge of applique, or I also use it on the seam lines in blocks some times. HelenW

I'm thinking this will be the only month where I am finished within the same month. I am using the kit fabrics rather than my own as I've never used Tula Pink fabrics before & this kit looked very cheery. The only fabric of my own is the batik fabric for the stems as I did not want to wait for my package to show up with the other green fabrics. I did go buy more thread this week to match the colors of various fabrics in preparation for machine applique. Mostly I have colors that match clothing I've made plus beige and gray for piecing. I don't think black, navy & forest green threads are the best matches & now I have quite the colorful collection. I didn't realize all my sewing supplies showed up quite so well when I took the photo. Sorry about that.

Comment

My first attempt to load a photo! Did it work?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, it did!

What a great start to this BOM! I have had the house done for some time and just letting it marinate trying to decide on star fabric. I was leaning to purple solid and even different color star points like Tula Pink. So went thru some of my precut blocks, found a pink with wiggle stripes but not enough fabric. Then I found this print and let it sit for a bit and thought this is the one. It has more of a peach color than the picture.

Thanks Barbara for the “tip” during the Facebook Live….I was planning on tackling Sarah’s binding technique as I got my Hera marker and got my green fabric. So will tackle that in upcoming weeks.

Looking forward to Month 2
            Linda H
            Happy Quilting 

Comment

I am so excited and loving this so far! This is my first BOM from TQS and I think I might try my hand again at needle turn.

Comment

I struggled all day yesterday to piece this house so last night I drew a paper pieced pattern as suggested. Today I finished the house portion with no problem! I had no difficulty making the stems but will set it all aside to wait for next month's instruction.
                Last edited by Patricia M.; 01-08-2023, 06:40 PM.
                  Patricia McLaughlin

Comment

I am going scrappy with mine . I have a few FQ bundles of Kim Diehl fabrics that I hope will be enough. I may have to get some more background fabric .

Comment

• NinaMarie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like the background fabric. It gives it a LOT of movement!

Month 1. I'm using all scraps and stash fabrics, except for the background, which is Moda Essential Dots.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Anina, Love your choice of colors. HelenW

• brigitte.wieser commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What a bright and sunny look !
                    I really like

• Cherie D. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    poka dot background fabric looks very nice.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1994 users online. 165 members and 1829 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X