Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 1 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month 1 -- Ask Questions Here

Please use THIS TOPIC to ask questions about Month 1 of GPDU, both the Applique' block and the Dogtooth borders.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Why is there no sizing square on the pattern downloads? After much trouble with Color My World's correct size I would think there would be.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      There is no need for a printing scale box on appliqué patterns. As you lay out the flower arrangements be sure you stay within 18” design area.
      When you tape all 9 pages together for the full size pattern it should measure 18”. If it doesn’t shrink or stretch to make it 18”

• Suzanne C. commented
      Editing a comment
      In the alternative dogtooth border file there is a 1" square. I printed out mine first before checking my settings and it was way off after I had taped everything together too. I then used the 1" square from the alternate dogtooth border file and had to increase to 103.5 % on my printer settings. It came together right on this time round.
      Last edited by Suzanne C.; 12-31-2021, 11:21 PM.

Thanks, never thought of that, Have a great new year.

Comment

• Sandra M. commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not sure how to ask a question, but I have to try here. I printed out the saw tooth border 1st because it had the 1 inch square. It printed out just a slight bit short of 1 inch, so figured it was fine. I printed all my patterns and the master for applique. I have it almost taped together and measured it and it is 20 inches. That isn't right. And all my patterns match the patterns on the master sheet. So, if I make it to fit that, I will have to enlarge everything around it, making the quilt larger and difficult to do. My printer was set for 100%.

Started looking at the fabrics in my kit and was going to cut square for block 1. I realized if I cut the wrong light/white one I could run short. Please tell us which one they intended for us to use for each block
    thanks
    Susan Skeel
    Des Moines Iowa

Comment

[QUOTE=sewskeel;n890470]Started looking at the fabrics in my kit and was going to cut square for block 1. I realized if I cut the wrong light/white one I could run short. Please tell us which one they intended for us to use for each block
      thanks[/QUOTE]

There is no list of what fabrics are to be used for each block--the Kit was not assembled that way. All you need is a piece of background from which you can cut a 20" square--there are four in the Kit that will work. Each person gets to decide which fabric they want in each block.

Do not cut the Gray/White Stripe, 1 1/3 yards, meant for the outer border OR the Royal blue 5/8 yard marked Binding. Set those aside until next Fall. That was discussed in the Live Reveal of the Kit fabrics December 1--that Live is available under LEARN, 2022 BOM.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL

Comment

Question: there are two leaves right in the center that are not marked. I am thinking the #8 leaf would work, although they seem a bit smaller. Actually the third leaf not marked also near center I am assuming is #6.

I got out my crayons and colored page one and then picked out my fabrics.
        Watched the videos except the border ones. Lots of good information.
        Now let’s celebrate the New Year!
        Linda H
        Happy Quilting 

Comment

[QUOTE=lholzhu;n890472]Question: there are two leaves right in the center that are not marked. I am thinking the #8 leaf would work, although they seem a bit smaller. Actually the third leaf not marked also near center I am assuming is #6.

I got out my crayons and colored page one and then picked out my fabrics.
          Watched the videos except the border ones. Lots of good information.
          Now let’s celebrate the New Year![/QUOTE]

The leaf toward the left not marked is a 6. I mentioned that on one of the videos.

The two in the center Irene must have missed. Since her instructions say to trace the shapes from the full size pattern, not the templates, there is no problem creating them the size she drew them.
          Last edited by Barbara B.; 01-01-2022, 04:58 PM.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

Where can I get a large picture of the quilt to print out for the cover of my notebook?

Comment

• Judy S. commented
              Editing a comment
              Barbara,

I was watching Alex's reveal show with the kit. Would it be possible to have the kit cover page as a pdf? It seemed like a full-size picture.

Thanks so much, Judith

• Barbara H. commented
              Editing a comment
              Would it be possible to get a really good quality photo of the quilt with the ability to zoom in - kind of like we see in the newsletter’s featured quilt?

• Mike E. commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Virginia -
              I would be happy to share the pdf of the cover that I used - if I can figure out how to attach it! You are welcome to use it.
              Best wishes,
              Mike

Would there be a benefit to using a thin stabilizer on the back of the background fabric for the block?

Comment

• clara j. commented
              Editing a comment
              If you Choose to do raw edge applique you may want to choose a light weight stabilizer on the back of the background fabric..

[[email protected];n890481]Where can I get a large picture of the quilt to print out for the cover of my notebook?[/QUOTE]

vbaeten, If you go to the top menu bar and click on SHOP, BOM 2022, it will come out with Sold Out and a picture. Click
            on the picture and you get a full size picture. I just took a screenshot of that and printed it for my notebook. HelenW

Comment

• Ellen L. commented
              Editing a comment
              There's now a banner at the top of the main page with a link to photos of the quilt. Thanks!

[[email protected];n890482]Would there be a benefit to using a thin stabilizer on the back of the background fabric for the block?[/QUOTE]

colleentj, I used Pellon sheer weight fusible 906. It makes the stitches look better. No slight puckering. Also, you don't have to wash it out or tear it out. I use it on almost all appliqué I do. I buy it at JoAnn's with a coupon and get a bolt of 10 yards at a time. HelenW

Comment

• Tena D. commented
              Editing a comment
              Helen, What method of Applique are you using that you would need stabilizer on the background fabric?

[[email protected];n890482]Would there be a benefit to using a thin stabilizer on the back of the background fabric for the block?[/QUOTE]

Not that I needed. For machine appliqué, the Print & Piece Fuse Lite served as a stabilizer. For hand appliqué I don’t want stabilizer.
            Last edited by Barbara B.; 01-01-2022, 02:07 PM.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

[QUOTE=Meegwat;n890480]In the alternative dogtooth border file there is a 1" square. I printed out mine first before checking my settings and it was way off after I had taped everything together too. I then used the 1" square from the alternate dogtooth border file and had to increase to 103.5 % on my printer settings. It came together right on this time round.[/QUOTE]

It is important the 1” scale box is exact on the paper pieced borders. As you discovered, you may have to play with printer settings if “actual size” doesn’t give you exactly 1”.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

Happy New Year Barbara! I love the guidance you are giving us for the BOM projects. Thank you for the clarity and no-nonsense dialogue! I hope someday I can take a class with you in person.

I will be using the Appliquick method and plan to hand trace the appliqué shapes to a lightweight fusible sheet because there are several shapes that require multiples (i.e. leaves, petals). If the pattern would have included the required number of shapes ready to print, it would have eliminated these extra steps. Alternatively, I could copy and paste on a sheet of paper, then scan it to print on a fusible sheet, but the process would be so time consuming that hand tracing will be faster. The scale could be compromised in this process as well.

Please include multiple shapes to print for appliqué patterns in future BOM projects. Better yet, if additional pages could be provided as a supplement for GPDU, perhaps other members would also be grateful for that bonus.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Comment

• Eileen K. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Are you using the Apliquick paper for your "lightweight fusible sheet"? Would it make it easier if you accordion fold your fusible? Then you could trace once, but cut out multiples.

• Ellen L. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I plan to use this method also. Spent quite a bit of time counting out and tracing the pieces on stable stuff just like I used on the 2020 quilt. A friend has an accucut and I used it to make the many circles out of stable stuff.

• QuiltCoutureStudio commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Eileen, yes I am using Apliquick paper. It's lovely. Accordion folding is a great idea! Thank you for that suggestion! I wanted to print the shapes using QS Print and Fuse Light if all the shapes had been included as an add-on on printable pages--just like the pieced border was provided as an option--but I decided to use Apliquick paper and hand trace. Thanks again!

[QUOTE=QuiltCoutureStudio;n890502]Happy New Year Barbara! I love the guidance you are giving us for the BOM projects. Thank you for the clarity and no-nonsense dialogue! I hope someday I can take a class with you in person.

I will be using the Appliquick method and plan to hand trace the appliqué shapes to a lightweight fusible sheet because there are several shapes that require multiples (i.e. leaves, petals). If the pattern would have included the required number of shapes ready to print, it would have eliminated these extra steps. Alternatively, I could copy and paste on a sheet of paper, then scan it to print on a fusible sheet, but the process would be so time consuming that hand tracing will be faster. The scale could be compromised in this process as well.

Please include multiple shapes to print for appliqué patterns in future BOM projects. Better yet, if additional pages could be provided as a supplement for GPDU, perhaps other members would also be grateful for that bonus.

Thank you for your kind consideration.
                [/QUOTE]

We have absolutely no control over how the designer presents the pattern. I added some additional words to instructions that were not clear but we do not change the designer’s pattern.

Taking the time to count the needed shapes each month is a good way to become familiar with the pattern. I used the template pages to calculate the number and size of each shape since I was cutting a kit for each month to give to my helpers.

Someone discovered a leaf shape is missing on the template pages for Month 1– Irene must have missed it. Since I used the full size pattern to trace the shapes, as her instructions say to do, I traced those two shapes and didn’t notice they were not on the template pages.

Month 1 is the only big block, remaining months will be only 2 or 4 pages for the appliqué blocks.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL

Comment

• Susan D. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where is the paper piecing pattern for the Block 1 ?

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1066 users online. 174 members and 892 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X