Our Sponsors

Cutting Fabric for Small Houses

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Fabric for Small Houses

I am late to the party so I have only completed the 8 Small House 1 units so far. I realize this post is too late for everyone that started in January but I thought I would post it in case it would help quilters who start the pattern late like I did.

Before I started cutting I decided to try to minimize the number of different sizes of pieces to cut. I came up with a plan to decrease the number of sizes to cut by half without wasting a lot of fabric.

The Pattern Directions for all the Small Houses combined call for these cuts:
    Pattern Direction Cuts Total to Cut
    1.25 x 1.25 16
    1.5 x 1.5 16
    1 x 2 48
    1.25 x 2 64
    2 x 2 8
    1.25 x 3 32
    1.5 x 3 56
    1.25 x 3.5 48
    1.5 x 3.5 32
    3.5 x 3.5 24
    3.5 x 4 8
    With my method you would cut your fabric with these sizes:
    My Shortcut Sizes Total to Cut
    2 x 1.75 144
    1.5 x 3.5 168
    3.5 x 3.5 24
    2 x 2 8
    4 x 3.5 8
    I have attached a file to a later post with more details for each house. I am using 30-32 different fabrics so I cut a 3.5" x WOF strip from each fabric and then cut out the pieces as follows:
    5 each 2 x 1.75
    5 each 1.5 x 3.5
    1 each 3.5 x 3.5
    In addition, I cut 8 different 2 x 2 pieces and 8 different 4 x 3.5 pieces for the Small House 4 window and roof.

With this method I have been able to mix and match pieces for all the Small Houses with a few pieces left over which I hope to use later in the buildings. It has been fun to have all the cuts done and then play with the fabric combinations before starting to sew.

~Nancy
    Last edited by Nancy Lee.; 03-24-2021, 06:48 PM.
    ~Nancy

Nancy Lee, What a great idea. Sorry you are late to the party, this would have helped a lot of quilters.
    I don't see your files or picture. Maybe try again. I have had a really hard time getting some of my posts and pictures not to disappear. HelenW

Comment

Thanks and Yes I did have difficulty attaching the file. My post even had to go to Potential Spam Jail for a bit as they thought I was a Bot trying to edit the post :-)

Here is the detailed chart and a photo of my Small House 3 fabric cut, sorted and ready to sew.
      Last edited by Nancy Lee.; 03-25-2021, 05:43 PM. Reason: Updated to correct a typo in the Small House 3 section.
      ~Nancy

Comment

To avoid confusion when cutting sky fabric, I lay the fabric right sides together and cut strips of 5.5" or 7.5". This automatically gives you the 2 face-up or face-down. With these rectangles, you may waste some fabric but it allows you to place them any way needed.

Comment

I am behind a month myself and also came up with alternate cutting instructions. I know my method will generate more waste, but it keeps me from getting confused both when cutting and sewing. Just thought I would share in case it might benefit someone else.

Comment

Barbara,
            I am late to the party too, just got my kit washed and prepped and am now ready to cut. How much shot cotton did you have left at the end when you completed your quilt? Do we have more than enough to play with so we can cut using this method? It just seems a lot easier to cut 5 + 5 + 1 from each of the 3.5 strips and then mix and match from there. Not being able to see the subsequent patterns makes me nervous which is why I'm asking how much wiggle room we have with the solids.
            Thanks, Nancy for discovering this and putting it all together!

Comment

• What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 110 users online. 3 members and 107 guests.

Most users ever online was 459 at 10:22 PM on 04-13-2021.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,670   Posts: 145,038   Members: 16757   Active Members: 6,767  
              Welcome to our newest member, Jean Gillette-jirishg.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
              X