Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Cutting Fabric for Small Houses

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Fabric for Small Houses

I am late to the party so I have only completed the 8 Small House 1 units so far. I realize this post is too late for everyone that started in January but I thought I would post it in case it would help quilters who start the pattern late like I did.

Before I started cutting I decided to try to minimize the number of different sizes of pieces to cut. I came up with a plan to decrease the number of sizes to cut by half without wasting a lot of fabric.

The Pattern Directions for all the Small Houses combined call for these cuts:
    Pattern Direction Cuts Total to Cut
    1.25 x 1.25 16
    1.5 x 1.5 16
    1 x 2 48
    1.25 x 2 64
    2 x 2 8
    1.25 x 3 32
    1.5 x 3 56
    1.25 x 3.5 48
    1.5 x 3.5 32
    3.5 x 3.5 24
    3.5 x 4 8
    With my method you would cut your fabric with these sizes:
    My Shortcut Sizes Total to Cut
    2 x 1.75 144
    1.5 x 3.5 168
    3.5 x 3.5 24
    2 x 2 8
    4 x 3.5 8
    I have attached a file to a later post with more details for each house. I am using 30-32 different fabrics so I cut a 3.5" x WOF strip from each fabric and then cut out the pieces as follows:
    5 each 2 x 1.75
    5 each 1.5 x 3.5
    1 each 3.5 x 3.5
    In addition, I cut 8 different 2 x 2 pieces and 8 different 4 x 3.5 pieces for the Small House 4 window and roof.

With this method I have been able to mix and match pieces for all the Small Houses with a few pieces left over which I hope to use later in the buildings. It has been fun to have all the cuts done and then play with the fabric combinations before starting to sew.

~Nancy
    Last edited by Nancy Lee.; 03-24-2021, 06:48 PM.
    ~Nancy

Nancy Lee, What a great idea. Sorry you are late to the party, this would have helped a lot of quilters.
    I don't see your files or picture. Maybe try again. I have had a really hard time getting some of my posts and pictures not to disappear. HelenW

Comment

Thanks and Yes I did have difficulty attaching the file. My post even had to go to Potential Spam Jail for a bit as they thought I was a Bot trying to edit the post :-)

Here is the detailed chart and a photo of my Small House 3 fabric cut, sorted and ready to sew.
      Last edited by Nancy Lee.; 03-25-2021, 05:43 PM. Reason: Updated to correct a typo in the Small House 3 section.
      ~Nancy

Comment

To avoid confusion when cutting sky fabric, I lay the fabric right sides together and cut strips of 5.5" or 7.5". This automatically gives you the 2 face-up or face-down. With these rectangles, you may waste some fabric but it allows you to place them any way needed.

Comment

I am behind a month myself and also came up with alternate cutting instructions. I know my method will generate more waste, but it keeps me from getting confused both when cutting and sewing. Just thought I would share in case it might benefit someone else.

Comment

Barbara,
            I am late to the party too, just got my kit washed and prepped and am now ready to cut. How much shot cotton did you have left at the end when you completed your quilt? Do we have more than enough to play with so we can cut using this method? It just seems a lot easier to cut 5 + 5 + 1 from each of the 3.5 strips and then mix and match from there. Not being able to see the subsequent patterns makes me nervous which is why I'm asking how much wiggle room we have with the solids.
            Thanks, Nancy for discovering this and putting it all together!

Comment

Originally posted by Stacey Koehler-staceyk2cn View Post
              Barbara,
              I am late to the party too, just got my kit washed and prepped and am now ready to cut. How much shot cotton did you have left at the end when you completed your quilt? Do we have more than enough to play with so we can cut using this method? It just seems a lot easier to cut 5 + 5 + 1 from each of the 3.5 strips and then mix and match from there. Not being able to see the subsequent patterns makes me nervous which is why I'm asking how much wiggle room we have with the solids.
              Thanks, Nancy for discovering this and putting it all together!
              Some of my favorite fabrics were close to gone by the end, some I had at least a 3” strip left. My kit had 1/4 yard cuts so I increased it to 1/3 yard cuts for our Kits. If you run out of a favorite, you can easily substitute something else.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL
              https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
              "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

I received my kit on 4\13, now it is washed and pressed, ready to cut. I am excited to start and hope to catch up with you ladies who decided to do this in a timely manner!

Comment

So my twin sister and I are doing this together for a gift for our older sister. We are just getting started. So concerning Barbara Black’s speed cutting for the background, on the one for block J there is a Blue line and Red line. Just to clarify that the Red Line is for the Small House 6” piece and the blue is for the 7” piece. Thanks

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1064 users online. 210 members and 854 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25244   Active Members: 1,511  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X