Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

COLOR MY WORLD--MONTH 1--Small Houses 1 and 2

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote="Heather7" post=153738]OK so I SINCERELY tried this method but I guess it's too delicate for me, so I made up my own house block so I can still play along some. Fused the windows but the rest is pieced and the plan is to heavily embelish each house with decorative stitching etc. The fabrics are Tula Pink's handmade.

[/quote

Are you going to put them in a circle?

Comment

Maybe, I'll see how I figure with buildings..good idea.

Comment

I am still waiting for my sky fabric . I had nothing that here I liked . I hope what I ordered looks good

Comment

Originally posted by "nhbaskets" post=153732
          Finally able to start stitching my wool felt houses after picking up 2 dozen yummy colors of Valdani thread. Some solid colors and lots of variegated.

These are my first two houses. Since I can’t stitch these to my TBD whole cloth linen background until after the compass is done, perhaps later, I’m limited to basically doing doors and windows. Lots of fun embellishment to come. The house on the left is my childhood home. Hoping to add the flowering crabapple tree in our front yard.

nhbaskets,
          I love, love, love your wool houses, and the thread colors are to die for. I am really going off the pattern. Right now I still don't have power after a big wind storm, going on day
          5 but we did get back telephone and internet. I decided since I live on a lake and the houses are quite close together, by road is going to be water, and a few little fish, and
          like you I am waiting for the mariner compass. I decided to go with one size house, and 3 different windows. I drew some lines out on black fabric to get some ideas but will
          use a different piece when I get to the point of putting it together and fusing it down. I know I have the wrong number of houses, but I wanted a little room between the houses
          so I can work in the trees and not applique them on the house like it looks like the fused bias taped is placed. Have no idea how all this will turn out but having great fun.HelenW

Comment

This is the sky fabric I chose . Hope it works

Comment

Originally posted by "HelenW" post=153771
              nhbaskets
              I love, love, love your wool houses, and the thread colors are to die for. I am really going off the pattern. Right now I still don't have power after a big wind storm, going on day
              5 but we did get back telephone and internet. I decided since I live on a lake and the houses are quite close together, by road is going to be water, and a few little fish, and
              like you I am waiting for the mariner compass. I decided to go with one size house, and 3 different windows. I drew some lines out on black fabric to get some ideas but will
              use a different piece when I get to the point of putting it together and fusing it down. I know I have the wrong number of houses, but I wanted a little room between the houses
              so I can work in the trees and not applique them on the house like it looks like the fused bias taped is placed. Have no idea how all this will turn out but having great fun.HelenW

Helen, Hope you get power back soon! After dealing with power outages too many times, we put in a whole house generator a few years ago. Best insurance policy ever.

Love your houses as they go through the color wheel. What fun! And your fish are adorable. I was thinking about forgoing the compass and doing mountains, ocean and lakes as we live close to all of those here in New Hampshire. But, think I’ll stick with the compass. Now I’m thinking of making the inside road to be a meandering country road with fields and gardens on either side. No roads are straight in New England as they all once were cow paths!

Picked up my background today. It’s 100% linen called Hippo from Birch Organics. I think the wools will pop on it. Thinking about doing a cotton print for the border to tie everything together. But that’s a long way off!

Back to stitching! Carole
              Carole Berry

Comment

My houses 1 and 2 are finished! I love the way they look. And I really like this method.
                Ellen Lindow
                Plant City, FL

Comment

Finished Small House 1. Absolutely love this project and all the wonderful tips to make this process successful. Especially helpful were the cutting tips from Barbara, using the Bernina #10 foot and to trim by placing ruler on seam line and adding the 1/4 inch when trimming around the templates. Love seeing what everyone is posting, so many creative ideas. Now on to small house # 2!!
                  Kathy

Comment

Phx459, you don't know how happy it makes me to hear from a contented person! Great looking houses!

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                    North Alabama, USA
                    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

I finished Small Houses 1 and 2. It took a while to get used to the technique, but now I really like it. I'm using leftover fabric from several quilts that I made in the past and Tula Pink Lemur Me Alone fabric for the background. Looking forward to Month 2.

Comment

Ready for February! Barbara, thank you for the reminder to use all the colors; not just the ones I like! The tip to use an edge stitch foot was timely, too. Thank you to whomever made the suggestion.

terri s.
                        Quilting is my daily fiber therapy!

Comment

Originally posted by "yshannon" post=153794
                          I finished Small Houses 1 and 2. It took a while to get used to the technique, but now I really like it. I'm using leftover fabric from several quilts that I made in the past and Tula Pink Lemur Me Alone fabric for the background. Looking forward to Month 2.
                          'yshannon' this may be my new favorite background! I love seeing everyone's unique choices. I am using the Art History 101 and am happy with it, but I love seeing all the possibilities out there.

Comment

Originally posted by "bbquiltmaker" post=153783
                            Phx459, you don't know how happy it makes me to hear from a contented person! Great looking houses!
                            Barbara, Please don't get frustrated with all the new quilters that don't have a tool box the size of a house like you. Most of the negative comments are just
                            frustrated quilters that are trying something new. When it does not work the first time, they just vent their frustration on the forum. Like the raveling fabrics.
                            They will learn, if the ravels upset them, they will take the time to serger or zig zag the cross grain cut on the fabric to prevent it. It takes time to do, but it takes
                            time to detangle all the raveling also. If they learn they don't like shot cotton, it is something they will know for the future. Your forty or so years of quilting is what
                            we are all learning from. Just keep giving the advice. Everyone is learning a lot and hopefully having fun or they can pick a different project. We love all your help
                            and words of encouragement. HelenW

Comment

I found this antique edge stitch foot in my “stuff” so I got out
                              One of my featherweights and made a small house block.

Comment

Originally posted by "HelenW" post=153803
                                Originally posted by "bbquiltmaker" post=153783
                                Barbara, Please don't get frustrated with all the new quilters that don't have a tool box the size of a house like you. Most of the negative comments are just
                                frustrated quilters that are trying something new. When it does not work the first time, they just vent their frustration on the forum. Like the raveling fabrics.
                                They will learn, if the ravels upset them, they will take the time to serger or zig zag the cross grain cut on the fabric to prevent it. It takes time to do, but it takes
                                time to detangle all the raveling also. If they learn they don't like shot cotton, it is something they will know for the future. Your forty or so years of quilting is what
                                we are all learning from. Just keep giving the advice. Everyone is learning a lot and hopefully having fun or they can pick a different project. We love all your help
                                and words of encouragement. HelenW
                                I will second what Helen said. We always learn from your lessons and the BOMs here at TQS even if we decide that a technique or fabric or tool is not for us.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2348 users online. 210 members and 2138 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X