Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

COLOR MY WORLD--MONTH 1--Small Houses 1 and 2

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally happy with my 16 houses. By the time I was done I'd learned a lot about what worked and what didn't so redid a couple. Glad I did them before checking out the ones posted, I would have been stymied with many new ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by "BKLYNMIKE" post=153885
      Finally happy with my 16 houses. By the time I was done I'd learned a lot about what worked and what didn't so redid a couple. Glad I did them before checking out the ones posted, I would have been stymied with many new ideas.

BKLYNMIKE, You are going off on your own I see. Looks like you added a few extra windows and already did the trunks for the trees. Did you just figure it will all go together
      when you make them into a circle. Love the colors. Nice brown tone for the tree trunks. HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by "Jillypea" post=153867
        Yesterday I made some gaps for my houses, here in The U.K. we certainly don’t have long straight roads and I live in a hilly area, so I shall do more of these.
        I love this idea. I’m from Uk too and may add a few gaps to mine. Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

Some of you maybe considering doing some decorative stitching in the windows or doors of houses 1 and 2. Or maybe a cat or dog in front of the house. I always do as
          much decorative stitching as possible before assembling the quilt because it is do much easy to maneuver under the needle when it is small. I decided to go whole cloth,
          60 percent, raw edge applique. I build my houses on parchment paper, and do the inside roof line, the window and door so when I actually put them on the whole cloth, it will
          just be the outline of the house to stitch. I use the parchment paper i build on as the stabilizer for the stitching and then just tear away after interior stitching is done. Just
          throwing out some tips on my technique. HelenW

Comment

Helen - do you think machine decorative stitches would distort the size of house? I thot about machine embroidery, but think I would have to do it on fabric I haven't cut out yet, as it "shrinks" the fabric some. Thxs!

Comment

Originally posted by "TrueColors" post=153910
              Helen - do you think machine decorative stitches would distort the size of house? I thot about machine embroidery, but think I would have to do it on fabric I haven't cut out yet, as it "shrinks" the fabric some. Thxs!
              TrueColors, I would not do machine embroidery like a cat or dog. I would do a raw edge fusible applique and edge stitch it on the house. If you did like a double straight stitch in windows to make window panes that should not distort.Or make tiles on the roof with straight stitch you should be OK. If you are doing a heavier decorative stitches I would put two pieces of stabilizer under it so it does not get wavy looking.
              Density is important. Not too dense is best, but you could still have a lot of fun. You might make a sample and try it out to see what happens.
              You can really give some character to it if you personalize it. HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by "HelenW" post=153907
                I build my houses on parchment paper... I use the parchment paper i build on as the stabilizer for the stitching and then just tear away after interior stitching is done. Just

I am always eager to learn something new to make my quilting easier or better. Do you mean parchment paper like the kind of paper that stuff doesn't stick to and you put it in the stove? Why parchment paper instead of say paper paper?

Comment

I live at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in East Idaho. I'm thinking about adding some mountains and animals like deer, Elk, or even Wolves1

Comment

Originally posted by "smardl" post=153919
                    Originally posted by "HelenW" post=153907
                    I build my houses on parchment paper... I use the parchment paper i build on as the stabilizer for the stitching and then just tear away after interior stitching is done. Just

I am always eager to learn something new to make my quilting easier or better. Do you mean parchment paper like the kind of paper that stuff doesn't stick to and you put it in the stove? Why parchment paper instead of say paper paper?
                    Smartl Yes, I do mean the parchment paper that fusibles don't' stick to. You can take the raw edge applique piece, pull off the release paper, lay it down on the parchment paper. Let's use the small house as an example. I cut out my main house piece with steam a seam on the wrong side of the fabric. I pull off the release paper. Lay it on parchment paper. Take the roof piece overlap by 1/8 ". Press with iron. Place the door and press. Window and press. Then I have the whole house made as a unit. I can pull it off the parchment paper and fuse to my background fabric and edge stitch to the background fabric. or I can leave it on the parchment and do my edge stitching around the door and window. Nothing shifts around on the paper and then I tear the parchment paper away and I still have the fusible on the back so I will fuse the pre made houses in a circle on the background fabric. For this process if I used regular paper, the fusible would stick to paper. Or if you built the house on parchment paper why waste a sheet of regular paper when it is already on the parchment and you can stitch thru the parchment paper.

Here are a couple photos of hummingbirds I built on parchment paper. Helen

Comment

Originally posted by "suelynn" post=153923
                      I live at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in East Idaho. I'm thinking about adding some mountains and animals like deer, Elk, or even Wolves1
                      Suelynn. We think alike. I too plan to put applique moose deer and other wild life in the second circle. All the wildlife and some evergreen trees and pine trees. Probably the houses will look more like cabins in the woods. HelenW

Comment

Completed my 16 houses for the first month, trying for a scrappy look. I was able to use mostly scraps from my last completed project (Jacqueline de Jonge’s Enchanting Stars), and I will be shopping my Kaffe Fassett Collective stash as we go forward. My background fabric is White Noise by Art Gallery. I decided I need a small design wall so that I could see the completed houses and make it easier to choose fabrics as I made each new house.

I’m really enjoying this BOM...love working with lots of colors! I’m looking forward to the new website, as I’m having beginner’s cramps getting used to the forum. Really appreciate all the work that goes into managing a BOM - big thank you to Barbara!

Beth Bell Lavoie

Comment

Beth Bell Lavoie: These are gorgeous!

Comment

I'm surrounded by beautiful countryside here in the UK too, so might think of a couple of infills to try. Yours look delightful. Is the house with the writing on yours. Think I might copy that idea.

Comment

I'm surrounded by beautiful countryside here in the UK too, so might think of a couple of infills to try. Yours look delightful. Is the house with the writing on yours. Think I might copy that idea.

Comment

[quote="Ktmosedale" post=153887][quote="Jillypea" post=153867]Yesterday I made some gaps for my houses, here in The U.K. we certainly don’t have long straight roads and I live in a hilly area, so I shall do more of these.

I love this idea. I’m from Uk too and may add a few gaps to mine. Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2379 users online. 210 members and 2169 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X