Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Half-size measurements

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KANSAS STAR BLOCK

That's a mathematical challenge...

For those who do not want to paper-piece the square-in-a-square (which, finished measure 1"), here are the exact cutting instructions:

For one "square-in-a-square" unit:
    Center square: 1-7/32" (okay, that's about a "hair" smaller than 1-1/4")
    For the triangles: 2 squares 1-3/4" (which is too big - will be cut to correct size once it is sewn), cut once on the diagonal.

I used a drawing in EQ7 to create the foundations. But you can also draw them using graph paper. (or I can send you the PDF)

Then, it's just "regular" paper-piecing (just so small):

Once the triangles are sewn and the "square-in-a-square"is completed, it needs to be cut to 1-1/2".
    To do this, you can either follow instructions, or place the 3/4" mark in the center of the center square (aligned with the corners):

Then, follow instructions to complete the block.

Comment

The block measures 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" from raw edge to raw edge.

BACKGROUND FABRIC:

1 rectangle 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" (at the bottom of the block)
      1 rectangle 3-1/2 x 4-1/2 (for the most part of the K)

I cut the bottom part a little larger so I would have some room to adjust the leg of the letter K. I did the same with the left background.

To align it, I traced the stitch line (with frixion pen) and I placed the letter on top. Where the letter intersect with that line, it needs to be aligned with the "point" of the inner square.
      Start with the bottom part and cut the background to the correct size, and then do the left part.

The panel measures 6-1/2" x 4-1/2" from raw edge to raw edge:

Comment

MAYFLOWER

Panel size : 4" x 8"
        Block Size: 4" x 3-1/2 (for both "boats")

Even though the instructions are clear, and the block is beautiful, I've made a few changes to reduce the number of seems for this half-size. The less bulk there is in some places, the better (for me anyway).
        If you still wish to make the block "as per original", I put the cutting instructions as well as for my version (minor changes).

Water:
        Original version: 2 rectangles 1" x 2-1/2" My version: 1 rectangle 1" x 4-1/2" (actually, 2" x 4-1/2" - I'll tell you why later)
        Boats:
        2 rectangles 1" x 2-1/2
        4 squares of "sky" 1" x 1"
        Sails:
        4 squares "sky" 1-3/4"1-3/4"
        4 squares "white" or "color" 1-3/4" x 1-3/4"
        Sky:
        ORIGINAL VERSION: 4 rectangles 1" x 1-1/2" MY VERSION: 2 rectangles 1" x 1-1/2" PLUS 1 square 1-1/2" x 1-1/2"
        Plus 1 rectangle 2" x 4-1/2"

Background: 1rectangle 4-1/2" x 5"

STEP 1: Make the 8 HST from the 1-3/4 squares, and trim them to 1" x 1".

STEP 2: Make the boat as per instruction, but for MY VERSION: SEW THEM TOGETHER and press the seem open:

STEP 3: To be skipped in MY VERSION.

Step 4: Make the sails as per instructions.

STEP 5: FOR MY VERSION: arrange the sails and the sky in this manner and sew the units together:

Step 6: Sew the sails unit to the boats unit (but no need to repeat for MY VERSION).

Step 7: FOR MY VERSION: sew the "water" strip to the "boat" piece:
        Step 8: Join the Sky rectangle to the top of the block.

Now this is why I cut the water strip wider: I wanted to make the "water" larger,so I trimmed the sky accordingly, making sure the block would measure 4-1/2" X 4" (from raw edge to raw edge) I actually made the water 1/4" larger. I will not add the stars anyway...

Comment

My finished panel: (just need to stitch around the appliqué - I haven't decided on the color yet)

Comment

Ritzy,
            Thanks so much your help.

judy

Comment

I FORGOT TO MENTION FOR THE K BLOCK:
              When tracing letter K, do not forget to "add" 1/4" line beyond the "dotted" line, or else, the K will have a shorter leg...

Comment

Judy--you are welcome.

Comment

Andree, I vote for you to design and pattern the next TQS BOM quilt!! :lol: You're doing a fabulous job on patterning it at half size!
                  Back to Quilting!

Comment

Janet--Andree IS doing a great job and I am very grateful for all her help.
                    Back to Quilting!

Comment

I am just watching and I am amazed!

Comment

Thank you ops:

But it is YOUR quilt that is soooo beautiful and fun to do!

(I just love the math )

Andrée

Comment

...... and thank goodness we have you , Andree !!

Comment

Originally posted by AndreeBergeron
                            Thank you ops:

(I just love the math )

Andrée
                            Awww, thanks so much, Andree, but if I ever pattern another quilt, I am hiring you to figure out the measurements!
                            Back to Quilting!

Comment

Now...that's a plan ! :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by janetstone
                                Originally posted by AndreeBergeron
                                Thank you ops:

(I just love the math )

Andrée
                                Awww, thanks so much, Andree, but if I ever pattern another quilt, I am hiring you to figure out the measurements!
                                OK, I accept!

Andrée

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2473 users online. 275 members and 2198 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,317  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X