Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Best Washers and Dryers for Quilts

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Debbie,

Now that you've had your washer & dryer set for a number of years, are you still as pleased with them. My 20 year old set will need replacing soon, so I'm starting my search now.

Thanks,
    Nancy

Comment

Nancy,
      I have recently purchased a front loading Maytag precisely because I wanted a large drum with no "prod" in the middle for washing quilts and tribal textiles of all sorts. I naturally got the dryer that goes with it and love the large drum and variety of cycles and heat settings. Thus far I am very very happy with both.
      Good luck with your homework.
      Jeanine

Comment

Nancy - we purchased front loading LG washer and dryer (that stacks) just before Christmas. (They've replaced a stacked Kenmore front loading washer and dryer that were about 18 years old). Both washer and dryer have huge drums capable of washing and drying king size comforters. Like Jeanine's both have a large variety of cycles and heat settings. On a side note I'm washing fewer loads per week with the new machines which is nice since we're watching our water consumption here.
        Barb

Comment

I have always heard not to use a front loading washer for quilts. Don't know why -- I think something to do with more water force. But your quilts are ok?

Comment

The beauty of my washing machine is that it uses little water and no there are no harsh jets etc the drum also rotates clockwise and counterclockwise for a more even clean. I have washed a few antique quilts on a light cycle and they came out just fine.
            Jeanine

Comment

Originally posted by "Lk2stch" post=136489
              I have always heard not to use a front loading washer for quilts. Don't know why -- I think something to do with more water force. But your quilts are ok?
              I wash my quilts all the time in a front loading washing machine and it works just great.
              Marianne

Comment

One downside of front loaders is that you must use HE detergent or risk voiding your warranty. I did not realize this before I bought mine, and I'm disappointed that I cannot use my favorite quilt soap and must use detergent. I even called the manufacturer and was told that even occasional use of soap would damage the machine.

Just reminding others.

BethMI

Comment

I've had my front loader for over 10 years and have never used HE detergent. My machine manual says to use 1/2 of what you would normally use of the regular detergent. You just have to keep the suds down. Maybe the newer machines are different.

Comment

My new front loader machines manual says:
                    "Items Labeled Wool or Hand-Washable, Hand Wash/Wool" This cycle is for washing shrinkable wool or hand washable items requiring delicate care. Use only natural or wool-safe detergent harmless to fabrics and use 1/2 of the normal amount of detergent. The Hand Wash/Delicate cycle uses a gentle wash motion and low spin speed for the ultimate care.
                    Barb

Comment

I only have minor problems with my existing washer, but it would cost over $200 to repair. The Sears repairman suggests not investing in the repair for a 20+ year old washer because it may soon have major problems. He also recommended purchasing the most basic machine with the features that I require, rather than paying for bells and whistles that I may never use. None of the washers made today are built to last 20 years. By the way, Whirlpool now owns the Maytag brand, too. I understand that Kenmore machines usually feature the better qualities of their Whirlpool counterparts.

All of the top loaders that I've been reviewing also suggest the HE detergents.

Comment

After reading reviews online and recommendations here, I'm more confused than before my search for a new washer. It would be great to be able to try before buying.

Comment

After using a top loading machine in Australia I found them to be much more user friendly, I could tell it what I wanted to do instead of already being pre- programmed to what it wanted to do.
                          A hot wash 7kg takes almost 3 hours in my front loader......I can adjust the temperature down to 40 and use an economy wash but that still takes 2hours and 27 minutes.
                          Any quicker washes you can only put 3 kg in the washer.
                          If I had the space and the money to buy a top loader that would be my choice.
                          Hope you get the machine you really like.
                          Anne

Comment

Well, today my new Kenmore Series 500 Top Loading High Efficiency (with a Low Profile Wash Plate) was delivered with a matching new dryer. I'm now washing my first load. Wish me luck! Thanks for all of your input, which I researched and considered. Ultimately, I felt I'd stick with a brand that had served me well for more than 20 years each on my first two sets of laundry machines. After a few months, I'll let you know if I'm pleased with my decision.

Comment

Glad to hear you've purchased new machines fun to hear how you like them.

Barb

Comment

So far, I really like the set. I've laundered a few loads, using a lot less water and detergent. Also, it's very easy to load and unload items with the low profile wash plate.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1097 users online. 278 members and 819 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,204   Posts: 154,925   Members: 25337   Active Members: 1,496  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                                X